It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientist says we're doomed; stop saving the world and retreat to climate-controlled cities

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 05:52 AM
link   

EternalWatcher
This sounds a lot like Agenda 21 to me. Move the population from the rural areas into cities......where they will be easier to control.

ha ha ha.

I think you are right.

I saw these photos a few weeks back (can't remember where) of these "new cities" which were being built but to me they looked more like 'Prisons' where the populace of those "Cities" would be caged in as everything you needed would be in that "City" 'cough' cough' . "Prison". It's true. I already noticed it when I quit working a few years ago. i noticed that once you step out of your home, you are being 'watched', everywhere you go and everything you do is being recorded. Just like being in a huge prison and soon there will be no way out.

I'm just hoping to get myself paid nicely so that I can get out before its too late!

Another reason is, I don't want to be stuck with all these 'religious zealots' in a City where hardly anyone would be speaking 'English'. And before you say it, I know and work with people from all over the place, so am not against 'Immigration' its just that we seem to have 'over done it'. During the next 20 years, I predict major changes, either in 'Geo-Graphics' or in 'Violence amongst the populace' as in 'Violence will soar' because people will be getting more fed-up with the way the "Cities" have changed.

I may go so far as to say that a 'Clash Of Civilizations' could definately occur within the next 20 years! We will begin to see a shift in the next General Elections, not just in Britain but across Europe!
edit on CDTThu, 10 Apr 2014 05:54:08 -0500u3005x108x1 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

And packing over 7 billion people into bubble cities would be better?

No thanks.

The doom and gloom situation that you paint sounds just as bad as the aftermath of a total nuclear exchange.

If it happens, it happens.

I and my family will not be herded like cattle into the pen. Sorry.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Hey Rez,

I've always enjoyed your threads.

I believe no matter what happens, the Earth does indeed try to regulate herself. When it gets too warm, volcanic activity rises.

One thing we know for sure is history shows us the Earth has ALWAYS went through climate changes and it's up to the inhabitants to survive these changes. The Serenity Prayer comes to mind. Wisdom is something not many of us have just yet unfortunately.

I for one will not be herded into a bubble though. I would rather pass on from this existence to another than to lived cooped up like chickens.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   
In the Werner Herzog movie Encounters at the end of the world, a documentary about the US research station in Antarctica, a group of scientists casually stated that they thought climate change was too far gone and the world was doomed. IMHO the powers that be already know this, and are making preparations to safeguard a segment of the population they deem worthy. Their problem is holding things together while they do this. Hence the ammo purchases by govt agencies, camps, etc. The collapse of large scale food production is most likely what will cause things to come unhinged. When you see this starting to happen be very worried. It's scary. About the only thing that will save us at this point is a pandemic that will lower the population to the planets eventual reduced carrying capacity.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

This where you are misinformed. Our food source now is global. You have to look hard to find anything grown local except in season. The growing patterns are most definitely changing. The blame game is over. The big question "Do we have enough time to change with the weather patterns?". Now you can ignore the scientists and farmers and enjoy your nice sunny day.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
i think we're doomed and it will happen before the end of the century. in the next 10 years we'll have a much clearer idea of how fast this his happening.

while humans are great adapters... we need certain things to survive. oxygen levels are going to change once the oceans fully die out. it won't be as simple as being able to tolerate too hot or too cold. drinkable water will be harder and harder to come by too. in our lifetimes (most of us here anyway)... the # is going to be hitting the fan.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
On the 'plus' side, at least we'll be running out of economical oil in the next 20-50 years. That will help somewhat with pollution/CO2. Of course... there's plenty of coal for another 100 years, so it's a small consolation.

smurfy
Do you mean what kind of d̶e̶l̶u̶s̶i̶o̶n̶a̶l̶ source?
It's actually an excellent source of information in that field, you probably know that already since you didn't use the acronym WUWT.
It has many contributors, if you have a problem with that particular simile, take it up with the particular contributor at the site, webmaster or otherwise, you can do that in the blog/presentation forum.
You could also do the same with Greenpeace to try to elicit their slant on it. There's not much point on rabbiting here.

You make a poor assumption. The poster I replied to has pushed this site several times that I've noticed, usually with straight links having 'wattsupwiththat' in the name. I have no familiarity with that website beyond seeing these posts.

This should be apparent, as I did not know that site has multiple contributors. If someone quotes something stupid or offensive as a source, why wouldn't I complain to the person who quoted it? If this sort of remark is acceptable for a contributor to the site, it doesn't speak well of the site as a source.

Also, I have no idea what you mean by "rabbiting" in this context.
edit on 11Thu, 10 Apr 2014 11:03:42 -0500America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago4 by Greven because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I don't think global warming will doom us all. Major changes will be in the works, and that could be a good thing.

I completely disagree with the idea that we should all move into cities. This would be the worst solution, IMO,

I do think that global climate change is going to be coming a lot faster than we have been told, and that what was predicted to happen at the end of this century could happen in 20 years, or much worse.

The thing to watch, IMO, is the Arctic ice melt, and how much methane is being released. This summer, or the next few summers, will tell us how much change we can expect.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Personally, I have no stake in the outcome. The planet can warm all it likes, or it can freeze all it likes, and we, the conceited species think that we are going to save the planet!

Of course, we all know we are never going to save the planet, what we really mean is that we want to try to save ourselves. Whatever we do, we cannot save everyone, but perhaps maybe 5% of the global population within adapted environments that can survive whatever nature throws at them for a certain number of years until the atmosphere and circulatory systems stabilize.

Whatever happens, I won't be around to see it all unfold, but maybe catch the beginning of the real effects hitting home. If I'm lucky, I may have another 20 years of natural life to live, and if the scenario of climate changes to come is true, I'm glad I won't be around to try and live through them.

The pressures are mounting on our societies. The developed nations want to maintain their levels of lifestyle and economic wealth at the expense of developing nations and the so-called 'underclass' of their own nations, but remain fragile through their dependence upon electricity and oil, so any shrewd thinking combatant would target those two areas to bring developed nations to their knees, and then just sit back while nations riot at the inconvenience. Hell, you wouldn't need to resort to nuclear tactics, just hit transformers and power lines and petrol stations, the devastation would be immense! When the lights go out, law and order and model citizenry disappears.

Nature herself is a terrorist.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 10/4/14 by elysiumfire because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   

eriktheawful

And packing over 7 billion people into bubble cities would be better?

No thanks.

The doom and gloom situation that you paint sounds just as bad as the aftermath of a total nuclear exchange.

If it happens, it happens.

I and my family will not be herded like cattle into the pen. Sorry.

I agree with you...I'll do my best for my family outside any domed cities.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 12:06 PM
link   

openminded2011
In the Werner Herzog movie Encounters at the end of the world, a documentary about the US research station in Antarctica, a group of scientists casually stated that they thought climate change was too far gone and the world was doomed. IMHO the powers that be already know this, and are making preparations to safeguard a segment of the population they deem worthy. Their problem is holding things together while they do this. Hence the ammo purchases by govt agencies, camps, etc. The collapse of large scale food production is most likely what will cause things to come unhinged. When you see this starting to happen be very worried. It's scary. About the only thing that will save us at this point is a pandemic that will lower the population to the planets eventual reduced carrying capacity.

What you say here is exactly the kind of thoughts I've had over the past year. Paranoid? yeah, but all that far-fetched considering the things you mention? I don't think so.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

MamaJ

Hey Rez,

I've always enjoyed your threads.

I believe no matter what happens, the Earth does indeed try to regulate herself. When it gets too warm, volcanic activity rises.

One thing we know for sure is history shows us the Earth has ALWAYS went through climate changes and it's up to the inhabitants to survive these changes. The Serenity Prayer comes to mind. Wisdom is something not many of us have just yet unfortunately.

I for one will not be herded into a bubble though. I would rather pass on from this existence to another than to lived cooped up like chickens.

Thanks MamaJ, you're right about the volcanic ash cooling the temps, but that's only a temporary slow down because at the same time, the volcanoes are one of the greatest sources of methane and hydrogen sulfide, so it will ultimately add a whole lot more fuel to the fire. Methane has a life span of just under a decade in the atmosphere and as fast as this chain reaction is already taking place, the methane that will already be there won't have time to mitigate itself before the volcanoes add a whole lot more.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

If I remember correctly from my 7th grade book report on Lovelock's The Gaia Hypothesis, heh, he found carriers for elements essential for life that were transported from the sea to land and seemed to have no other purpose or evolutionary reason for being... hinting at purpose, so that's where some people got the idea of "intelligence."

He was always a good scientist and didn't make any assumptions, though... just reported it and was surprised at the intricacy and efficiency of the environment... and postulated a holistic living body as our environment... of course, some used it as conformation bias for intelligent design.

Amazing book, btw, and so much more has been learned since then... but he's been ridiculed/dismissed as a hippy tree hugger... and he most certainly is not. He's just an intelligent guy who knows his science.

ETA and as far as humans being effed ... all signs point to yes in my magic eight-ball. I find it funny there's still people ...even on this thread... who say "the sky is still blue, it's pretty out and nothing is changing..."

Records indicate that the environment does fluctuate pretty wildly all by itself ... but 7 billion people and their accompanying support tech (i.e. belching emissions from billions of methane butt emissions, cookfires, generators, cars, factories, etc., etc., etc.) are certainly part of the rapidity of recent change. People have trouble picturing the whole thing and think the world is even bigger than it is... but one campfire changes the local environment, though it's easily put back to homeostasis by the local living systems... but math is math and we are certainly pushing the envelope... and in fact might have ripped the envelope a few decades ago.

So since humans don't usually agree and work together, the collective future doesn't look too rosy.

ETAx2 but it occurs to me that if Lovelock was right (and I think he is) wouldn't it be a hoot if gigantic white blood cells oozed from the ground and enveloped the nearest human, as in a large scale immune system response? Humans have been called a virus, or cancer, on Earth before, and the analogy fits, unfortunately.
edit on 4/10/2014 by Baddogma because: added stuff

edit on 4/10/2014 by Baddogma because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Baddogma

Yeah, unfortunately, that's also where I see Lovelock's point. The subject of the state of the earth has been so politicized by monied interests that it's beyond ridiculous and any time something gets politicized, you bet it's going to divide people. I am neither a Dem or a Con--in fact, I'm angry at both parties for their failures. I see that we need to do something and quickly because we're running out of time and it's not because some politician told me so. It's because of what I learned in my science classes. Some days I am totally aware that fighting it is absolutely futile. People would rather spend the time that's left where it's "good" bickering and arguing than actually do what's right. It's suicide on a grand scale in my book.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Allow me to preface this post by saying that I know the climate is changing - this seems like an indisputable fact to me. And I do think we should be doing something about it, but throwing our hands up and retreating to some sort of dystopian post-apocalyptic sci-fi scenario of living in domed, climate controlled cities is not that something.

Maybe govts should be spending money on research into alternative fuel sources (solar, geothermal, etc) instead of creating new ways to kill masses of people. Oh, wait - oil companies and car companies don't want solar/geothermal aka FREE energy sources. Oh, also, seems like a lot of "pro-global warmers" think that humans are an unnatural plague upon the earth, which would make one think that these types are all for war and mass murder.

If it exists, it is natural. How could the universe and the earth produce something that is "unnatural"? Is a termite mound unnatural? How disruptive and unnatural is a beaver dam? I really have beef with people who think like this. As a human being myself, I take it kinda personal. If you really believe this, set an example and kill yourself. Stop breeding and running your mouth and take some action. It's like people who say they like dogs/animals better than humans. It's disgusting. You're saying that if a basket of babies and a basket of puppies were hanging off a cliff and you could only grab one, you'd choose the puppies over babies.

I for one, choose to be a skeptical optimist. Things are getting crazier, for sure - but giving up never solves anything. Pandora's box anyone?

And since this is ATS... *dons tinfoil hat* This whole extremist eco-warrior propaganda is actually a front for TPTB. THEY want a smaller population that's easier to control, consumes less of THEIR precious resources. This sustainability crap is training the average human to accept less and less. WE are the ones that need to make the sacrifices. Meanwhile, TPTB live it up in their ivory towers with their soul-powered flying cars while we ride rusting bikes, live in tents and toil in the algae fields out of fear of having our explosive neck collars activated or worse, banishment to infernal Forbidden Zones! There will be color coded blinking hand chips also.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   

MOMof3
reply to post by VoidHawk

You have to look hard to find anything grown local except in season.
Well just when else would you expect local produce? Local produce IS seasonal! and I can find it just fine wherever I go!

MOMof3
The growing patterns are most definitely changing.
No, the methods used for growing are changing! ie: Chemicals, lots and lots of chemicals!

The blame game is over.
huh! ??? LOL

The big question "Do we have enough time to change with the weather patterns?".
We dont need to change them, like I said, look outside, its lovely out there.

Now you can ignore the scientists and farmers and enjoy your nice sunny day.
You mean go back to lala land? No thanks, but I'll continue to enjoy the lovely weather.

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Oh for sure. Youre correct. I think our biggest pressing problem with doing that...is we're running out of time. We wont have enough time left to learn these new things unless we make plans to get out, stop poluting what left, and concentrate on saving ourselves...go or prepare somewhere safe for us to live so we can repair the damage. But alas...we may never be able to now.*

*Think of the tale of the Annunaki (whether real or imagined, believe them or not)...where they had destroyed the atmosphere in their own enviroment, and went off to find ways to repair it...

posted on Apr, 10 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I basically think this is accurate, I don't know if anyone's talked about Guy McPherson but he's been saying the same sort of thing about methane for a while.

edit on 11-4-2014 by paddz420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 06:05 AM
link   
I'm quite liking 'England's' mild winters! It's even better when you consider how much cash is saved by not using gas to heat our homes during these 'mild' months... its great to see that the Energy Firms will be losing cash over these months, not earning any.

But I do think that certain people have ruined our planet... not naming names but I think you all know who is responsible and its not the average Joe on the street (although some still don't care about where they throw their rubbish) but you know what I mean.

Then again, how many people drive cars? All are responsible for the pollution from their cars!

I don't drive, so I am exempt from blame.

posted on Apr, 12 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   

poet1b

I don't think global warming will doom us all.

What global warming? There hasn't been any significant global warming for 17 years 8 months. This length of time has exceeded the maximum allowed for the models to retain their integrity. The models failed.

Source

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join