It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows XP Query.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Windows XP security updates ended yesterday ( 8th April 2014) However when i switched my PC on today i have had some XP updates available to download. Any ideas why? I though all XP updates ended yesterday.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

There may be more updates applicable to XP but actually written for other versions.

It is just that from the 8th, there will be no updates written specifically for XP.

... and existing updates in the catalog have not been redacted/deprecated.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   

chr0naut

There may be more updates applicable to XP but actually written for other versions.

It is just that from the 8th, there will be no updates written specifically for XP.

... and existing updates in the catalog have not been redacted/deprecated.

Thank you for your reply. I havn't downloaded them yet as i am not certain they are safe to do so. They do seem genuine microsoft, but you never know.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   

I will probably be flamed for this without proof. I have an xp machine with compromised operating system. One freely available from certain torrent sources. I started seeing odd behavior on teh system, so did some research into it. Turns out the person that wrote and or uploaded the compromised os has backdoor access to the system. The updates are authenticated as Microsoft which is false. Its actually someone who is using the xp updater service to keep access to thees machines.

This script kiddie or whoever was on my system in the past made me ask questions and get engaged in the tech world. Everything i have learned was due to him torturing my systems. I left that old compromised xp lappy around...its on my desk right now. He pops in from time to time, but never stays too long now days.

Yes i know i sound like a fool. But i have been overtly led down the road into this techno wonder we call the web. Im not sure if he did this to teach me or that was an unintended side effect.

The xp box is on right now and i as well have another update.....i installed one yesterday too.

Maybe im nuts and dont know what im talking about?

What do you think ats?

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   

XP will still have security updates from my understanding. It's the service contracts that are being terminated.

In any case. You can still use XP for some time. However I suggest the following.

Do not run win xp as an administrator. Use a limited user account.
www.mechbgon.com...

Drop internet explorer. it won't be updated and won't be secure anymore. Use Chrome or Firefox as your default browser.

Make sure that you have an anti virus software. Comodo and MS Security Essentials are nice choices. And make sure they are updated daily!!!!!!! Anti Virus software is useless if it's not updated daily.

Good luck with xp. When you can upgrade to win 7

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by shaneslaughta

While in theory possible, you've described a very unlikely scenario.

I would run TDSSKiller to find any rootkits in your system. If it doesn't find anything, your scenario is almost impossible as the utility will find almost ANY modification to system files.

Nothing is 100% secure when dealing with digital security, but on a consumer level, 99.99% is just about the same.

ComboFix is also good at finding DEEP configuration changes.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   

You will always get stuff from Microsoft still. Dont avoid them completely.Just non-specific to XP, service updates and security for XP.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   

XP will get able to be patched up to its end of life status for quite a while as theres a few years of paid support still around if you have the cheque book, but after today if theres anything funny found you won't get it patched

new topics

top topics

join