It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Simple Masons Thoughts

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I’m going to tell a really big Masonic secret.
When I was very young I had a love of ancient history, the older the better. Reading anything I could I hit dead ends with most everything. I came to the conclusion that secret orders such as the Masonic fraternity would be a possible new source to find answers to questions that mainstream history and religion did not answer to my satisfaction.

Where can I find Secret societies? Knowing there were Masonic lodges abundant in my area it did not take to much asking to find I was related to a Mason.
I asked him how to become one and he said that he would get back to me. A few days later he had a small petition with simple questions I filled out. Around two weeks later he called to inform me that I had been accepted and informed me of the date and time to be at the lodge for initiation…and how much money to bring. Seems to me the amount was $125 U.S. 1992 dollars for initiation.

I had an outstanding teacher and learned the obligations fast and got my 3 degrees over the next 2 months (At the time that was as fast as you could get the degrees unless there was special circumstances). The night of my 3rd degree I had to pay $25 for my yearly dues card. The amounts very depending on the lodge.

The first three degrees are like a play the members put on with you as the star. After settling into being a Mason and attending other peoples degrees I asked a few questions and realized most of the members were clueless about any real juicy secret stuff.

Right now I start thinking…I am not deep enough in to be told anything. Scottish Rite would make me a 32nd degree mason, a class was coming up soonish so I got a petition and I was on my way. This time I sat in a auditorium and watched as different degree teams put on a stage production of some of the degrees, for some degrees, a man would come to the podium and explain it in a simplified manor. Still I listened intently. This cost me $150 for the degrees and $20 for a yearly dues card. OK, same result….I am not finding anything that is interesting. I will say I had a different way of thinking, Things I had read from the bible, books, movies, TV shows had more noticeable Masonic connections. Still I was at a dead end.

Being in my early 20s, married with children slowed my pursuits, we bought a house, this put me closer to a different Blue lodge. I moved my membership and attended meetings regularly. Being a small lodge in need of active members, I moved through the rotation of officers fairly quick. Now I was a Past Master. Went to Grand Lodge the year after with my Past Master Status. Spending money I really could not afford I sat through a yawn fest and learned nothing new.

After my 3rd and last child was born, I was making a decent living and old thoughts came up, there has to be more. York Rite, seemed like the next logical step…After all, the Templar are mentioned in almost everything evolving conspiracies and such. Went there, got that, same results. Nothing that answered anything. I honestly can not remember the amount for the initiation (between $75 and $125), dues were either $10 or $20...I am unsure. Scottish Rite and York Rite are like Ford/Chevy. The only major reason for both is over religion. Jewish people and a few other religions have issues with some Christian aspects of the Scottish Rite so they go York Rite on their way to Shriners or other orders that require one or the other to be a member of such.

I truly enjoyed my Blue lodge meetings, was a decent bunch of guys, we mostly discussed lodge bills and the money to pay them. Set up a degree or family night bring a covered dish dinners for random occasions and the holidays. Hard times came along, a few active members passed away with no members to fill their much needed stations. Our lodge closed it’s doors and merged with another struggling lodge, but it was a bit far for me to drive so I went inactive. I attend a occasional degree here and there if a friend mentions it or they need me to help out.

Though I have heard of other orders and lodges such as Night Masons which I feel is another dead end, the big secret is….Your going spend a lot of time and money to find out Masons really don’t have any secrets, just a lodge of usually older guys that believe in the good values that are taught. You also have to buy certain things to participate in certain degrees and functions, York right is the most expensive IMO, needing a tux and the Templar uniform and sword.
My dues increased over time, the cost became a issue so I stopped paying York and Scottish Rite that always seemed to bite into Christmas funds.

If you made it this far…Years of being a Mason and much money spent, I learned more about it all by reading The Hiram Key. There are actually some other books that are eye opening I may recommend depending on responses to this post. Will have to see a friend that has the copies I read to make sure of the exact titles and authors.
en.wikipedia.org...

Off and on I see a television show or read post making it sound so intriguing, it really is not. They do mention that future generations will discover the truth….Maybe I missed something.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Since my first post was so long I wanted to break it off and start again.

Things that no matter how many times have been explained that still come up that usually make me laugh.

Religion: To be a Mason you have to believe in a God. Depending on what country, state or location you happen to go into a lodge makes a difference. In my area most have the Holy Bible on the altar. The reason for this is, members have to swear an oath to keep what is secret a secret. In all U.S. court rooms they have people swear in with a bible. Not really much different. If you do not believe in a God or higher power, what holds you to your word?
I have seen local lodges go a little too Christian at times, but the membership has the right to complain if they do not like it. The G seen in Masonic symbols stands for Geometry, nothing more. Speculative Masons use the tools and terms of stone working Masons to teach it’s principles and morality. They do have a lodge prayer in meetings. Usually a generic prayer found in the blue book using “The Great Architect” in place of any particular deity.

Secret Society: Free and Accepted Masons have very few secrets. It could be described better as a society with secrets. The true secrets are not really secret anymore. There is not one single thing that can not be found on the internet these days.

Simplicity: I used to post on tech forums several years ago, I have learned to keep things simple so that everyone can understand my post. Most of the problems with topics like this stems from lack of understanding. Though I enjoy reading this site, when I have someone I know read something I found interesting, I usually have to explain to them what it all meant. That being said, I would not mind answering questions if I can if anyone has any. Most Masons are uncomfortable answering many things because they are unsure about what is secret and what is not.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Conspiracy theory.

I actually have one, after hitting my dead end with what I could learn, I began to speculate what could come from this society. If there is a deeper order with some agenda it would make sense. The Free and Accepted Masons hide in plain sight expanding membership, if something was to come up where you needed a dependable network of men from all walks of life, it is already in place. Knowing how Masons interacted during the Revolutionary war and the forming of the U.S. government, it stands to reason that there may be some other order lurking behind the scenes.
The only real problem with future conspiracies is the dropping membership. Most lodges are on a drastic decline. Having seen many lodges closed down and so many struggling, I have to wonder if it would even be a concern in a few decades.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
i got accepted into the masons, but i refused to cough up the cash, so thats where that ended. To be honest i think i help out in my commmunity more than the whole lodge combined.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I tried Masonry once.
I think I was doing it wrong.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   
I firmly believe that the secrets of Masonry have been lost over the years.

The rituals were meant to pass down the secrets, from the beginning, but we became lazy and complacent and have let the true teachings drift away.

No 33rd today is old enough to be able to know the secrets that were passed down generations before him.

Those secrets are lost.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   

ElOmen
To be honest i think i help out in my commmunity more than the whole lodge combined.

Is charity supposed to be a contest?

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Speculation

Freemasonry can be a lot of different things to a lot of different people. I guess it depends on what you went in looking for and came out knowing.

I went in half looking for the conspiracy, and half, wondering why the men I knew who were members spoke so highly of it.

I, like you, came to the conclusion that there was not conspiracy, no sooper secrets, no world domination. But I did find a brotherhood of some of the kindest, most likable men I had ever met. I was amazed at the caliber of men who looked in that direction. So I wont say I found nothing, I found friendship. True friendship.
edit on 7-4-2014 by network dude because: Augustusmasonicus drinks beer with Balphomet. In secret. On Mondays.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Yeah, there's tons of masonic secrets online. I suggest starting here.
edit on 7-4-2014 by JonButtonIII because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
It's true, you're spot on and I've been saying it for years that the masons have lost their secrets, its capitalism and materialism that has done it in my opinion, alongside the decline in religion, it meant that higher ups were more interested in using their masonic affiliations for material benefits.

People became less interested in the esoteric, spiritual side etc, so its became a well connected social club... If you want to know what Masonry was meant to be, the Scottish rite anyway, you should read Albert Pikes morals & dogma or the works of Manly P. Hall.

The fact that most Scottish Rite masons don't even know the works of Albert Pike or what his works were alluding to... Shows how far the esoteric side of Masonry has fallen, its a shame, its all still there, there just isn't the mechanisms for revealing it anymore..

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Elijah23

I disagree that masonry has lost anything. The ritual is still done the same as it has for hundreds of years. And that information is not lost, you just have to look for it. Kind of like the masonic lesson about asking for admission. You won't find an envelope with your name on it and in it, all the secrets of life. You will find a brother or two who has deep interests in esoteric subjects and might point you towards a new avenue of information.

If anything, people have gotten a bit lazy, some masons included. But nothing is lost. (IMHO)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by network dude

I never said they were lost, I said they were all still there but the mechanisms for their revealing was not, I said the Masons had lost their secrets, not the order, it is because the majority of Masons are lazy and use their masonic affiliations more for material gain, if anything, which is why its now more like a social club than a mystery school....

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Star & Flag for a well-thought thread and an interesting read.

Honestly in my own mind I've thought of the term "freemasonry" as encompassing two unofficial groups. I am not a Mason myself so this is entirely speculation but my thinking is that there is a secretive upper-echelon that no "normal" Mason can reach by just working their way up the ladder. I know this is a widely-known and spoken about theory. Maybe to reach that level where you can access secret knowledge you need to be born into it - at the very least there probably is a highly confidential selection and initiation process.

As to whether or not Freemasons do keep some kind of hidden knowledge, they MUST keep some secrets or sensitive information just by virtue of how long they've been around and the hugely important historical figures who have been Freemasons. To that point, whether or not they, as a whole, have much involvement in the inner-workings of the world today, they certainly have throughout history.

Regardless secret societies are very much a real part of our world.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   

In Massachusetts they frequently advertise on the radio the need for members...kind of depressing because it takes away from the covertness or secrecy of the whole organization. I guess if it gets small enough maybe it would yet again become this mysterious organization shrouded in secrecy...

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Elijah23

Material gain? Nope. If your goal was to network, or expand your business, joining the Chamber of Commerce or Lions Club is the way to go. Freemasonry has strict rules against that sort of thing. Plus, you have to put a good bit of effort in to become a master mason. It's not for the lazy folks. I just meant "lazy" as in looking for esoteric knowledge. But then again, if a man was not interested in such, why should he bother with it?

I just think everything is the way it is due to careful planning.

Oh, and I don't think there is anything to the "higher up" thing. It's possible, and since I am not one, how would I know, but it's very unlikely.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   

I agree that meetings can be boring, but I disagree with people (not necessarily referring to you, but others I know) who think when they join Freemasonry all of this knowledge is just chucked at them. I liken Freemasonry to a puzzle box that you have to slowly find ways in to discover it's hidden recesses.

Your dues are very low, at least they were as your dues probably have raised.

After settling into being a Mason and attending other peoples degrees I asked a few questions and realized most of the members were clueless about any real juicy secret stuff.

A lot of Lodges set aside the educational aspect of their Lodge during the mid-20th century; some call it the "Age of Fraternalism", but I call it the "Age of the Factory" as Lodges turned into factories spitting out members left and right only worrying about getting a man to his 3rd degree.

The counter culture revolution that followed caused a gap to be created as in years past they had always had a steady stream of new blood joining and taking up roles in leadership, thus allowing Freemasonry to retain it's core values, but not allowing local traditions to cause stagnation within the Lodge. With the counter culture revolution and the generational gap, many Lodges were forced to have older generations retain control and thus kept doing the same thing they had been doing -- working in factory mode and less emphasis on education and research. They got so set in their ways and when young blood started to come back around the Millennium, many were turned off from attending because the older crowds refused to budge and often was/is heard "That's not how we did it in my day". Luckily, there are younger men out there turning their Lodges around and you have organizations like the Masonic Restoration Foundation who is a proponent of the Traditional Observance Lodge.

The crowd who composes the older side of the gap, the baby boomers, set a trend of low dues and, IMO, cheapened the experience and reputation of Freemasonry. My Lodge has doubled its dues since I joined and they will be raising again here shortly. I know with our stated meetings we distribute the minutes prior to (and email them days prior) and just make a motion to accept them as distributed. We've streamlined it so we can get through the boring tripe and I always have an educational piece to give or another officer is free to do so as well.

You also have to buy certain things to participate in certain degrees and functions, York right is the most expensive IMO, needing a tux and the Templar uniform and sword.

It does get pricey...especially with the invite-only groups and all the traveling it takes to attend meetings. For this year I've already spent $2,000 just in travel, to include hotel, and I will more than double that if I decide to attend the Romanian Grand York Rite meeting this May.

If you made it this far…Years of being a Mason and much money spent, I learned more about it all by reading The Hiram Key.

A great book, but it's the opinion of Chris Knight. He makes some great arguments and I enjoyed reading it, but it's all theoretical. If you do like his books you may also try books by Robert Herd, Tim Hogan, Shawn Gorley, and Cliff Porter. Many of these guys changed their Lodges around and do great work in Freemasonry. I always recommend Arturo de Hoyos, Brent Morris, and Robert Davis.
edit on 7-4-2014 by KSigMason because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I have actually read most of the authors listed above, The Hiram Key is a starting place IMO. Mostly I was pointing out that anyone has to find it all for themselves, just being a member does not answer anything. Being that you had the names handy it saves me having to look all the materials up to make sure I was giving the correct names.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I did say I would list other books I personally found interesting, since some authors were listed above I dug out the series of books that impressed me the most.
Laurence Gardner:

The Shadow of Solomon

Realm of the Rimg Lords

Genesis of the Grail Kings

The Magdalene Legacy

The Origin of God

Revelation of the Devil

The Grail Enigma

Those are not in order, other than the random way I removed them from the box from my attic. It has been a few years since I have read any of them, going to read them again since I went through the trouble of getting them out.

Not saying these are a definitive guide to anything, just gets you closer to the dead end of Masonic secrets. Most all of the actual secrets are in the York Rite / Templar traditions. Just have to know what they are to notice they are there.

Having read what I have, from multiple authors I would like to think I have a fair understanding of true Masonic and Templar origins and rituals. The main reason I posted the simplistic view of the Masonic order was to impart one thing. All the wild speculation and even joining secret societies does not get anyone anywhere, other than getting to meet decent people in the case of Free and Accepted Masons. Takes a lot of reading with an open mind to answer any questions you have. Once you found the answers you seek, just leaves more questions that I personally have yet to find.

What I think I know is from years of reading, many authors and my own ideas mixed in. I don’t see a point in detailing my views, they only matter to me.

edit on 7-4-2014 by Speculation because: typo

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Now I have clashed with some of the Masons on this site in the past but not with ill intent on my part though I must admit it has for me more to do with my religous convictions but I am not going down that path and would like to say you have made a good thread here so bravo.

Now from what I interpret from your post you have a strong passion for the secret past and maybe if you had the mean's would have been a passionate investigative historian.
There was once another order than the Mason and the Illuminate and though like them they have spin off orders today the Rosicrutions were only ever supposed to have 12 members whom were guardians of certain esoteric secret knowledge, whatever there difference they were like these other orders an esoteric and sophist organization which spread out in chapters, each chapter was governed by a grand master but these were not the true Rosicrution as like I previously state there were supposedly only ever 12 of them and when one died from among these chapters (Or not) a successor would be appointed.
Most intriguing secrets of these orders would be found in europe and sadly the vile actions of the Nazi party in Germany along with there Ahnanerb occultist order whom scoured the library's of europe for esoteric knowledge meant that this knowledge was condensed into one small place in germany and toward the end of the second world war was most likely all destroyed.
With america being a relatively young nation only those secrets taken by those whom were members of the precursors of the modern orders ever made the journey accross the pond and sadly this meant that most of there core higher secrets were lost over time in the old world as they took more tradition than anything else with there library's mainly consistant of copys of earlier treatise and text's of questionable origin.
But think on this, you yourself probably know more than these ancient elightened ever did but there is one place many of these ancient text's may still be found if you were ever able to pursue your passion and that is within the British Library, Obtaining the Text's if you knew what you were looking for is one thing but Understanding there Archaic language and even more archaic coded information would be well nigh impossible.
Another place many may have survived but unless you are a vatican scholar you will never see them is beneath the vatican in there archives at Rome though many of the texts to which I allude there would also be in archaic or even dead languages and perhaps also in code as well as predating the secrets of these later orders.
But then there are alway's secret's to be found and do we not all seek them, it is only the seeker whom look's and this is why a book must be read first then understood later and we are always learning new interpretations to old messages.
I wish you well with your quest and hope it is for a good purpose but alway's keep your own inner council as not all paths are streight to the truth.

edit on 7-4-2014 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Look.

edit on AprX61000 by MX61000 because: (no reason given)

edit on AprX61000 by MX61000 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join