It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racism and Jay Z - Does it matter?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 07:25 AM
link   
The social issue ... a racist musician who is widely listened to and looked up to in America.
Americans either don't know about the racism ... or don't care. Does the racism matter?
Should Americans care about the racism espoused by this (or any) musician?
Or is that separate from his 'talent' and it's okay to prop up this guy by buying his music?

NY Post - Jay Zs 'Five Percent' Medallion

Black people are the fathers and mothers of civilization, white men are the devil, the Christian god is nothing more than a ghost and only a small percentage of people understand the world. These are just some of the ­beliefs behind the bling — the gaudy Five Percent Nation ­medallions worn by Jay Z and Carmelo Anthony. ...

“The rationale is that the black man is God and created the universe, and is physically stronger and intellectually stronger and more righteous naturally,” says Michael Muhammad Knight, an author of two books on the radical group. “Whiteness is weak and wicked and inferior — basically just an errant child who needs to be corrected.”

Jay Z was asked if the medallion meant anything to him. He confirmed that it does.

The racist 'Five Percent' group is 50 years old. It was founded in 1964 in Harlem by a man named Clarence Smith. Mr. Smith changed his name to Allah. He preached that all black men had God in them and that black women were subordinate “earths”. A representative for the group says Jay Z is not an official member.

I was going to post a link to the Five Percent site. But I don't know if it's allowed. After looking at it, I think it's a 'hate group' and so I'd rather not link it. If you are interested, you can google it. Be warned .... lots of cussing at the site.

So does it matter when a musical artist is racist? Everyone has a right to their personal beliefs, right? But what about when the musician is advertising his/her racism? Should radio stations ban the music because of what the racist believes and advertises? Or should the show go on ... let the music be on the radio and for sale in the stores (or where ever people buy music these days)?

Paula Dean had her books pulled from shelves and her TV time cut down because of her racist remark. And that wasn't even close to what the 'Five Percent' group espouses. People had a melt down over it. But nothing much is said about Jay Z and his racism.

So is this a matter of free speech and free marketing?
Or should he be subjected to the same blood bath that Paula Dean went through?

I'm thinking this could be a good teaching moment. Jay Z is showing off, in a big way, his racist beliefs. He's advertising it. So why not use it as a teaching moment. Talk about how ignorant the racism behind the Five Percent group is? Help people not to adore and worship celebrities. That kind of thing. Then let the free market decide how much money Jay Z makes in the future. I wouldn't nail his free speech rights. I'd be talking about his Five Percent group ... educating on why they are destructive.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Personally, no, it does not matter to me.

Idiocy is not governed by skin colour, nor is pride.

+42 more 
posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   
You see Jay-Z is black and Paula Dean is white. There in lies the reason why one person is allowed to be racist and the other isn't. Remember the new definition of racism. It's only racist if it originates from white people.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Krazysh0t
Remember the new definition of racism. It's only racist if it originates from white people.

Thats bunch of bollocks. I guess its true if you never left your own country.

cause you know.. Racism only Exist in America. Just like freedom, and oppurtunity. lol

edit: expected more from certain people than that bandwagon statement.

Jay-Z sucks just like 99% of the other Mainstream Musicians. I would like to think real music died in mid 90's.

Anyone who listens to celebrity gossip and follows them like they are god are morons.
edit on 4/7/2014 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   

And to think, that guy hangs out at the white house with the president.

I remember seeing all those Nation of Islam idiots preaching on the streets of New York around Y2K, saying that all the white men would be killed, I just laughed. Looking at them, it's hard to believe anyone takes them seriously.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Racism and Jay Z - Does it matter?

Nope.

Second.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Money & plenty of it allows anyone to be what they want. Mr.Z wants to be a racist's...who gives a fat rats arse. I dont buy his music, his products or his outright racist behavior. I think the Jews will take exception to them being superior, the jews got a lock on being superior to all other peoples of the planet. Jay Z is just like all the others...he's just a Goyim here to serve the Jews. For the record, I am not black nor Jewish. I am a man..who happens to be caucasin.... just a man.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:22 AM
link   

luciddream
Jay-Z sucks just like 99% of the other Mainstream Musicians. I would like to think real music died in mid 90's.

I can't argue with that. What passes for 'music' these days ... wow. A lot is just noise that is rhythmically pounded into the head. Noise with lyrics about killing and rape and beating women. I don't see how young people can be subjected to that kind of stuff day after day after day, and not have it effect their thought process in a negative way.

(man .. I sound old)

+8 more 
posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   

I wonder what all the white devils who died helping to free the blacks from slavery during the civil war would have to say about this. Just look at how many thousands upon thousands of " white devils" died freeing them. I guess no good deed goes unpunished or appreciated.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   

savagediver

I wonder what all the white devils who died helping to free the blacks from slavery during the civil war would have to say about this. Just look at how many thousands upon thousands of " white devils" died freeing them. I guess no good deed goes unpunished or appreciated.

.....freeing them...
[

Assuming, a rich, sold out, black rapper is the representative of the blacks?

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Who the hell is Jay z???

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Regardless if it's Jay Z, the NBP, the KKK, etc; giving them attention only increases their own idea of self-worth.

Ignore them, let them hate, let them exploit others who want to hate, the rest of the world can continue on and ignore them.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:02 AM
link   

luciddream

savagediver

.....freeing them...
[

Assuming, a rich, sold out, black rapper is the representative of the blacks?

Nope. Assuming nothing. Knowing there is a group called 5 percenters who believe as they do residing in the usa. Jayz flaunting their symbols is just icing on the cake of ignorance.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   

luciddream

Krazysh0t
Remember the new definition of racism. It's only racist if it originates from white people.

Thats bunch of bollocks. I guess its true if you never left your own country.

cause you know.. Racism only Exist in America. Just like freedom, and oppurtunity. lol

edit: expected more from certain people than that bandwagon statement.

That whole post was sarcasm. I was poking fun at the double standard Americans use to judge racism. I thought that was quite obvious...

Anyone who listens to celebrity gossip and follows them like they are god are morons.

If you believe this then you don't know anything about music. Pop music is dead, but real music still exists and is thriving to this day. You just have to know how to find it. Hint: it is rarely on the radio or whatever artists MTV is mouthing off about currently. I can point you to a good number of bands that have come out since the mid-90's that are more than good.
edit on 7-4-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   

White people who don't know any better are who buy his crap. They made him rich.
Just another reason some serious, real music education and history should be mandatory. If the masses had taste in music, people like Jay-z would never get anywhere.
edit on 4/7/2014 by ItCameFromOuterSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Punks just hatin', I got 99 problems and Jay-Z aint one.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Of course it matters, especially when a very outspoken racist is a good friend of the president.

Unfortunately, few dare to speak about it, or report on it.

In the end, doesn't matter to me. I hate all racists equally. I don't discriminate.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Without racism there would be no Jay Z. He is just another no talent rapper that whines about whites. The rappers of today are an insult to the old school rappers.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
And crap like this, make Tupac more Immortalized then pictures.

Maybe they should focus on the sell outs of their own race. You know, the Judas that love gold(or was it silver) or power more then their own skin.

edit on 7-4-2014 by Specimen because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   

It matters, if only to illustrate the tendency of humans to derive emotional payoff from the subordination of others. I suppose various oppressed groups ultimately want to be the authoritarians? They want to control someone else? I don't care what they look like or sound like, I know enough to identify a hypocrite.

Authoritarians and automatons are cancer on a "free" society.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join