It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People and The Internet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:27 AM
link   
It's really sad to say, but over the years I've come to believe that there should
be some kind of test a person has to take in order to interact with the
internet community. Nothing too serious, just something that ensures
some of these people are able to understand how to properly behave.

thoughts?

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by EyesOpenMouthShut

How do you define properly behave? This is a cultural definition that could vary from person to person, anything from hard-line conservative views to liberal political correctness could be interpreted as proper.

The closest thing I can think of is learning how to debate in a better manner.
edit on 07amMon, 07 Apr 2014 05:47:08 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:46 AM
link   

That rather depends on what manner of rules one wishes to impose, and under what authority, and for that matter with what effect should the applicant fail? Tim Berners Lee, the man who made the WWW work for the people, is already up in arms over the more broad powers that have been given to governments to monitor and moderate the internet. I would have thought he would be dismayed to find that there are folks at the user end, who wish to limit access to the net for reasons of manners and decorum, nice as these things most surely are.

I look at it this way. If one is banned from the library, one cannot read.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:47 AM
link   

I get your point, but the internet should stay free and open for all no matter thier behaviour or way of using the web...

I have no problem ignoring people who troll, sling mud around or don't behave, i often shake my head and just want to voice my opinion against them but i might loose my cool, so ignoring is the best choice.

If they break the law it's another case and should be dealt with accordingly.

We are all different but should all be respected, even if you are an internet idiot.

edit on 7-4-2014 by Mianeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

I agree, everyone has different ideas about how everyone else should act and they are best applying them to themselves as that is what those ideas are for.

I personally think that being honest and straightforward is one of the most essential things a human can do to promote good, however we lose some of that freedom every day.
edit on 07amMon, 07 Apr 2014 05:49:32 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:54 AM
link   
I forget sometimes you folks like to over analyze things here. By behave i simply mean basic human interaction skills.
We all know that one guy/girl that you just shouldn't expose the general public to.

EDIT: i never said take internet privileges away. more like adding a warning label to them somehow.
edit on 4/7/2014 by EyesOpenMouthShut because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:06 AM
link   

I hear you.

Personally, I like when people act out. Then, I know whether or not I ever want to interact with them again. The more of their character they show ... the better.

It's a two-way street. I know there are people here who avoid me like the plague.

Sounds like ... wait for it ... The Golden Rule!!

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Let me allow you a glimpse of a dark secret.

I like to swear. I do it with great passion, and gusto. I do not allow my use of four letter expletives to corrode the quality of the rest of my vocabulary, but rather use them as forceful, and occasionally hilarious punctuation.

Now, I accept that the rules here at ATS are clear on this point, that cursing and poor linguistic manners toward other members, and so on and so forth, are prohibited, and come with a ban, points deductions, and the like. I also accept the reason for that, however, the same rules applied to the wider internet do not work. There is something about dropping the f-bomb in the right place which can totally enliven a bit of written or spoken work, and to take that away from the whole internet would be to rob it of half the laughs that can be found there.

Furthermore, it would open the floodgates for significant censorship of media, including music, film, television, and so on. It is not over analysis to consider these things, when presented with suggestions such as the one you make in your OP!

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Today it all starts in a young age, so if someone should teach people how to use the internet it should be the parents.

Childrens start on the internet usually starts with games, and if you know how people talk to each other through games, you also know why some has no respect and act like they are the king later on.

Simply cause the parents did nothing but buy an XBOX/PS to thier kids and left them alone with thier new intertainment, some quickly turn in to raving rabits and will stay like that.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:23 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

I also love profanity but i respect the rules of other peoples sites.
and profanity isn't really what i'm talking about,at all.
How can i explain this,,,attitude or maybe as one other posted "The Golden Rule" Even thats not what i'm trying
to convey but its close.
Sorry i'm not more clear, my brain functions aren't as good as they used to be.
maybe, Don't behave on the internet in a way that you wouldn't behave at your local pub.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:34 AM
link   
The internet is a necessary escape. It is a necessary tool of information. I feel it should not be restricted, at all.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   
This is an interesting one

Having travelled far and wide and seeing many cultures, having seen one man's hard held beliefs being ridiculed over the border as superstition and stupidity.

How would you word the 'Test'

As you suggested it I'd be fascinated to see your interpretation of said 'Test'

There is your challenge

And good luck.................................No offence meant but I'm not holding out much hope

Cody

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:12 AM
link   

cody599

Having travelled far and wide and seeing many cultures, having seen one man's hard held beliefs being ridiculed over the border as superstition and stupidity.

There is your challenge

And good luck.................................No offence meant but I'm not holding out much hope

Cody
You guys might be losing the ability to have a normal conversation without picking at every sentence.
I've traveled quite a bit as well, the word "beliefs" is a vague term but i think i know what you mean. I don't mean cultural customs even though i find some strange, manners are what i mean. By "test" maybe a questionaire. For example, because this is huge on the internet, adding a question like "would you find it acceptable to: Display to another person, your genitalia without their consent?" for one end of the spectrum. This really doesn't need to be picked apart, i'm talking about, in general, widely accepted manners.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   

People try to answer your questions and you accuse them of "picking apart" every sentence. Could that be because they don't agree with you?

If you don't like the way people behave on the internet then interact with them in person. There are far more places on the internet where people act in a civil and mature manner, then there are places where they do not. The problem is, those few places where people don't behave, are on very large sites that are easy to find. It's like real life, you want something good ? You have to go digging for it.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   

EyesOpenMouthShut

cody599

There is your challenge

Cody
You guys might be losing the ability to have a normal conversation without picking at every sentence.
I've traveled quite a bit as well, the word "beliefs" is a vague term but i think i know what you mean. I don't mean cultural customs even though i find some strange, manners are what i mean. By "test" maybe a questionaire. For example, because this is huge on the internet, adding a question like "would you find it acceptable to: Display to another person, your genitalia without their consent?" for one end of the spectrum. This really doesn't need to be picked apart, i'm talking about, in general, widely accepted manners.

Then do so

Please present said questionnaire

Cody

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   
What your talking about doing a "test", would not work... I would have taken that test and got 100 % and got my internet pass. Then 6 months ago I would have met "her" on here. Then all bets out the window!! Hahahaha!!

Nope, that would not work. Things change , stuff happens , its human. I can stop the insanity anytime I want. But, not today lol!!

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 03:39 PM
link   

This is a biiiiiggggggggg wide world of differences. You cant define right, wrong, acceptable...or even what "basic human" is. Its different for everyone. Totally....thats why there are wars, and ax murderers who think theres nothing wrong with doing that...at least not to them.

I think we just have to tolerate differences...because thats what the world is. Different.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Taupin Desciple

Agree or disagree, it doesnt matter to me.
Not even in the slightest way.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   

The internet is full of idiotic little keyboard warriors who wouldn't have the balls to say to someone's face what they are happy to say anonymously. Like another poster said earlier in this thread, the more they reveal about their character the better. It's a good indication of who to ignore and who to interact with.

In my opinion, they should be left alone to do whatever they want. People will soon learn that they are not worth listening to.
Find others that do meet the standards you expect and go from there.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   

It is called manners, and it is not just for the dinner table IMO.

People forget that there are real people on the other end of the string of text.
Or, if the rest of the outside world is any indication,
people just don't care how they come off to others.

Test? No, just ignore the rude ones, and they will congregate with other rude people in places like yahoo chat eventually...lol

new topics

top topics

join