It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A little lesson as to why gold is valuable.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 02:58 AM
link   
In the case of a revolution or all out chaos/survival mode, would you rather have a pile of gold or weapons, food, fishing supplies, seeds to cultivate etc? I can think of many things more valuable than gold depending on the situation.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 02:58 AM
link   
Don't know if anyone is aware of it or not....but in the old dayz when they really did have gold coinage...they commonly cut pieces off the coins to make change ......Gold will always be in demand.....because it is the natural metal of value to trade in.....
Silver also, for smaller amounts of value, will be in demand....just wait and see......

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 03:03 AM
link   
The only worth gold has is what humans put on it .

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 03:20 AM
link   

brazenalderpadrescorpio
reply to post by liejunkie01

I think that it has worth in today's society. But I think that in a SHTF scenario, it's practically useless, as mentioned in another thread -- actually, my thread.

BANG on Braz... A can of Kitty Kat would have more value than a useless extremely heavy peice of yellow metal when the poo hits the ventilator...

Lets look at logical things to swap... (thread coming up from me)

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 03:33 AM
link   
My family and friends can not eat gold to survive.

Gold is useless metal when it really matters.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 03:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

I look forward to your insights!

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

I tell you what, I will give you and your starving/dying family members a rabbit for a few ounces of gold.

Doesn't learning basic wood craft sound like a more sound idea now.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 03:54 AM
link   

AprilFooseball
reply to post by Rodinus

I look forward to your insights!

Thanks April...

Lets start of with some logical things like wax covered matches and a survival blanket...

Over to you and other posters... Apart from gold what do we need to survive folks?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 04:16 AM
link   
There was once a moment in time when Aluminium was considered to be more valuable than Gold. It's funny how when emphasis is placed on something that it then becomes valuable.
About 20 years ago in Australia, Gold value had dropped that much that an ounce of marijuana was worth more than an ounce of Gold. SO, 20 years ago in Australia, marijuana was considered, by value, to be MORE valuable than Gold.

If Gold is so valuable to us, then why is it only the select few that benefit from it the most ?

You tell other to do some research on Gold, well my friend, I suggest you start doing some research into who OWNS the Gold. Then you'll start to see why it has the importance placed on it that it has !

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Pound for pound the most valuable commodity will be seeds. Strange that none of thoseridiculous prepper shows never once mention keeping a large and varied stock of food seeds. They also never mention the importance of knowing what wildplants are edible and nutritious. Knowledge of basic farming is also the prime commodity in a shtf scenario. Guess I'll have the advantage over most survivors come the apocalypse.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   
How many people are actually going to have any gold apart from jewellery to trade with?

So somebody comes to me asks me if they can trade their gold for some of my extra food - I say no how about a tool - you see I actually need a 'insert tool required here' not some tiny piece of metal that's main use is decorative or for tiny parts of electronic equipment, that no longer function, due to there being no power grid .

So I see very little use for gold when the SHTF - you are much better investing in things you WILL NEED to survive and continue life.

If you want to invest in things that will be very tradeable buy seeds, tools, meds, sanitary prods, clothing, blankets, timber, plumbing supplies you know the stuff that actively keeps you alive and safe.
edit on 7-4-2014 by johnb because: blah

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Bitcoins have now become the new gold standard of all future virtual and crypto currencies.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I haveto disagree.

Gold is great for industry purposes, but other than that, it is worthless and should be set at pennies per pound.

Diamonds, the not-so-rare rock should also be set at pennies per pound. This stuff is used mostly for evil and in order to stop them their finances must be crushed. As a poster above stated, gold would be useless if the world stopped. So wouldn't diamonds. If you read the history of diamond mines and the evil diamond mafia's tricks in setting them at the values they are you would shake your head. When something is used in evil so much it should be eradicated.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I like how majority of reasoning why gold would be no good is because you can't eat it.... well duh....
The point of having the gold is to trade for things you can eat... When SHTF you are going to want anything that some one else would see valuable.

Most on this green earth know what gold is, I mean it has only been with man kind for thousands of years, but it really must not be that useful...

I understand that food, water, shelter would come before gold, that is a give in.
But to say gold would be worthless is a stretch IMO, some one will always want gold.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Sremmos80

Yes a few will want gold but ask yourself why would you want gold in shtf scenario to trade when most people will want food, shelter etc as discussed.

The only time i could see to the point of accepting gold as a trade item is IF I have EVERYTHING else sorted which in a SHTF situation is unlikely for me and 99.9% of initial survivors.

So the only people who would accept trading gold will be those who already have everything and those are the new elite who will be guarding their 'precious'

If i have enough food and some spare personally I would give it away to those who needed it and hope they returned the favour in some other way - you know the way the world ran for thousands of years before some people decided they were special and took control through money and religion.

As long as people hoard metal to gain control and power rather than helping their fellow human we will repeat the destruction of society as has been happening since civilisation began.

Most civilisations have followed this route - build, conquer, expand, govt/religion/money people take over corrupting everything and then collapse from within.

So yes to me and most people in a SHTF situation gold is a useless metal and although not worthless it is only usable as a trade item to those who as i have stated already have everything they need or perhaps trying to set themselves to be the elite when we repeat the whole thing over again.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   

skyfall911
In the case of a revolution or all out chaos/survival mode, would you rather have a pile of gold or weapons, food, fishing supplies, seeds to cultivate etc? I can think of many things more valuable than gold depending on the situation.

I agree. You hit the nail on the head, along with someone else who said gold's real world value is in its rarity, not its uses. The OP states this perfectly when he/she writes some ~78% of its use is in jewelry. Real world? No!

As a form of currency, gold is very effective, at least in more primitive societies. It has a natural limit on its availability and this puts a cap on the ability of it to be counterfeited. If you examine cultures that use currency (instead of bartering) you see they use things which have a natural availability limit or are difficult (enough) to acquire. They did this to limit counterfeiters whilst enjoying the conveniences of having a (lightweight) currency to exchange goods and services.

Of course, in a SHTF scenario, a bag full of gold won't feed you, unless you can find someone who's well fed and wants to trade for it. If people don't care about the convenience of currency over bartering, gold has little value. There's a sort of society-wide agreement on the value of currency. Once it's met, even paper money (with sufficient security measures) can have lots of value.

We're headed for a cashless society and soon the true value of $$$ will be almost solely in the ability of us to ensure it cannot be counterfeited easily. Of course, this really only means something because we want the convenience of currency.

I read there's a intrinsic value for currency and a labor value. The intrinsic value constitutes its convenience and appearance and scarcity and resistance to counterfeit. The labor value is the actual production cost of manufacturing it.
edit on 7-4-2014 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by johnb

Again I am not saying that gold is more important then food shelter or water....
I will agree that gold will not be first on the trade list but it sure as hell will be on there and in a pinch gold will always be a good barging chip. If you have nothing else but gold you will be able to find someone that will trade for it.

I disagree that the only people that want the gold is the people that have everything already

I am not saying to carry around 10 pounds of gold, or to go out now and stockpile nothing but gold, just that gold has been around for thousands and thousands of years due to its value and ease of use and I don't see that changing if SHTF

Why else would that aliens come down and farm the earth for all of its gold

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Sremmos80

I agree with you completely.

It seems that people are pretty short sighted on this issue.

The one's that will suffer the most will be the one's that have no survival skills or took no action to prepare.

I garden. If someone wanted to trade me some gold for tomatoes, i'm all for it.

History has proven there will always be the one's with plenty and there will be the one'es struggling.

It's history for a reason 6,000 years ago they didn't need gold for manufacturing, they used gold for othrr things.

In a shtf scenario as time passes gold will become more useful as a bartering tool. After natural selection weeds out the unskilled and unprepared.
edit on 7-4-2014 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by brazenalderpadrescorpio

I think that it has worth in today's society. But I think that in a SHTF scenario, it's practically useless, as mentioned in another thread -- actually, my thread.

In a SHTF scenario...having gold is a wise investment. Always has been and always will be.

Throughout history no paper currency has survived in its original form. Paper currencies are normally inflated away until they are worthless. The purchasing power of the US dollar has declined by 90% since 1950. The situation is the same for most currencies. When governments come under financial pressure they can never resist printing money to pay for debts, be they war debts or just excessive spending.

Gold is the only currency which has no liability attached to it.

matterhornassetmanagement.com...

Gold is one of the few things that CANNOT be devalued through inflation. Fiat currencies come and go....gold is forever.

Ignore the lessons of history at your peril.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I am now curious if you buy or sell Gold...

I often come across these and wonder out loud but everyone needs a hobby right?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join