It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rover captures light source on Mars!!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Moelson
So why may I ask are there so many "veterans" of this site that are so damn quick to shoot anything down. And glimmer of hope that it may be beyond explanantion.

Because the site is used to tell the truth, not for fantasizing.

Just because you are well read and research information does not make you an expert.

It does a little bit.

there are respected people on this sight that are here only to debunk

Good.

and spout disinformation.

The threads title itself "Rover captures light source on Mars!!" is disinformation,

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:34 AM
link   
It's "Survivor Man" Les Stroud. 7 days no food, no water & in this case no oxygen to breath. He's gonna earn his suvivor stripes with this episode. That was for laughs. But seriously, or as serious and any member would take it. I have been a member for about 3 years, and if it's a question of space, space camera's, really all things space related Phage is the member to go to. After reading several of his post's the man simply knows what he's talking about. It's obvious his higher education is space related. I mean you really don't run into Phage in the food & cooking forum or the joke forum.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   

St0mP121

Miniscuzz

I don't see how this could possibly be debunked or debated. It's dark and the light is a very bright white...pointing directly up from the ground about a half a mile to perhaps a mile away from the rover. The picture is a raw JPL image. Link provided below.

Kinda really easy to do both really debunked or debated. We all know well most of us, have learned that NASA has been touching up pictures in the past and present. Mistakes are to be made. Yes its that simple. only thing that comes out of nasa anymore is what they want you to see and know. we do not even have a trusted news source anymore you really think these guys are honest with the pictures?? At this point i would trust a no named person with a telescope over nasa.

Yep. This is just what I was thinking as a possible answer. That someone at NASA who is responsible for "cleaning/ doctoring up" phhotos, cleaned up one of the two photos and forgot to clean up the other thus giving us the one sided camera image.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   
looks like water vapour [co2] or gas coming out, don't think it's anything extra-terrestrial if not it might just be a reflection only caught on the right camera due to the angle, I know the cameras are very close together but sometimes light works in funny ways, that's just my theory X

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Miniscuzz

Good people of Abovetopsecret.com, may I share an idea? A thought? Something to stimulate your higher brain function?

When dealing with secrets, at times the best kept secrets are those which are in plain view but "hidden" because your attention is diverted elsewhere.

All eyes are on the "light" but has anyone looked at the high resolution view of the photograph and noticed anything else unusual?

"Rocks" that appear blurred or shaded in a way that is not in line with other rocks nearby?

A raised opening with something appearing to be standing or hovering near the opening?

Lastly, recent water flows in plain view? How do I know it's recent? The landscape is literally covered in rocks. Were those channels ancient in nature, wouldn't you think that somewhere in the millions of years since water was allegedly present, at least one or more rocks would appear there?

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   
It's Zak McKracken!

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
It's plainly obvious that this 'light' isn't a part of the landscape. Also, note how the 'hole' underneath it doesn't actually exist.

It must be caused by one of two possibilities. Either a sensor readout glitch which has been smeared left and right by one pixel (caused by on-board image processing), or more likely, a cosmic ray. The only reason I wouldn't say 100% cosmic ray is because of the artefact's vertical alignment, which could coincide with the readout circuitry.

edit on 7-4-2014 by MarsIsRed because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

because the lEFT NAVCAM was displaying an artefact that was blocking the light.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by MarsIsRed

It looks like a vent to me.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I don't understand how this can be taken as anything more than a digital artifact. These are all over other images. I went back ONE day and found another one after three clicks:

ANOTHER MARS LIGHT SOURCE!

They can be found in the color images as well, though much less easily spotted.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by openyourmind1262

That's because he's a machine and doesn't eat and as far as I can tell he doesn't have a sense of humor either. Just kidding Phage.

Somewhat...

What is a cosmic ray anyway? Does it come from the sun?

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
delete

edit on 7-4-2014 by th3onetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Well, FINALLY! Now we have proof of swamp gas on Mars!

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Also possibly Cherenkov radiation.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   

lemmin
I don't understand how this can be taken as anything more than a digital artifact. These are all over other images. I went back ONE day and found another one after three clicks.

It's curious how both of the flashes appear right at the horizon line. That's kind of an interesting coincidence and not something you'd expect from a random cosmic ray strike. It it possible for it to be a processing artifact of some kind?

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Miniscuzz

Sorry guys, I lost my light saber again... oh, there it is!

What an interesting find indeed!
The child in me says, the martians forgot to turn off their porch light.
The adult in me is trying to explain it away with missing pixels.

I'm not sure what it is.... thanks for sharing this great picture though.

edit on 7/4/2014 by Rainbowresidue because: Spelling, because it's Monday.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   

MarsIsRed
It's plainly obvious that this 'light' isn't a part of the landscape.

I would agree with this if it wasn't directly on the horizon line, which is exactly where distant lights often show up:

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
A rock, a cosmic ray......Stranger things have been found on Mars, like: the coffee cup. Either way, we'll never know what this is and one persons guess is as good as another. This is one debate of ego's that will never end properly. I will state that I believe that a lot has been concealed/covered-up by TPTB. I also think that strange things were found on the moon. Sad fact is, we will probably never get to the truth in our lifetime. Lets hope our children change this. I, along with all other humans, have a right to know but for some reason the people in control think that only they are special enough to know.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Phage
The cameras are inches apart. This can be attributed to a cosmic ray striking the sensor of the right camera.

Possibly. Although the fact that one camera picks it up but not the other doesn't bother me too much. I've looked at a lot of stereo photographs in my time, and it only takes a tiny fraction of angle's difference to make that happen. Or one little rock in the way. This is particularly the case if the light source is sharp, like an LED or a reflection from something very shiny but small, where there isn't much diffusion. You see this kind of difference in what your two eyes pick up all the time yourself in real life. It's what makes water look sparkly from a distance.

Could it be a static electric discharge of some kind? Mini-lightning?

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

The horizon phenomenon could very well be related to the contrasting levels in such close proximity. Here are some examples of very high contrast causing oddities in the digital image:

SOL 583
SOL 582

Where the error occurred in exposure, post-processing, or transmission is up for debate.

Also, there is an artifact on EVERY Mastcam image taken. I'm not sure when it started occurring, but the same imperfection can be seen in the same spot (a line with a small white dot):

Example

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join