It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP seeks coverage choices in health law they hate

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
From ABC News

At the prodding of business organizations, House Republicans quietly secured a recent change in President Barack Obama's health law to expand coverage choices, a striking, one-of-a-kind departure from dozens of high-decibel attempts to repeal or dismember it.

Democrats describe the change involving small-business coverage options as a straightforward improvement of the type they are eager to make, and Obama signed it into law. Republicans are loath to agree, given the strong sentiment among the rank and file that the only fix the law deserves is a burial.

"Maybe you say it helps (Obamacare), but it really helps the small businessman," said Rep. Phil Roe, R-Tenn., one of several physician-lawmakers among Republicans and an advocate of repeal.

No member of the House GOP leadership has publicly hailed the fix, which was tucked, at Republicans' request, into legislation preventing a cut in payments to doctors who treat Medicare patients.

It is unclear how many members of the House rank and file knew of it because the legislation was passed by a highly unusual voice vote without debate.

It's nice to see positive changes/improvements made in the ACA by the Republicans. I am a little surprised as I thought they were determined to repeal it and not fix it...

Thoughts?

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Elton

I said it in another thread that was pro Democrat and I will say it this thread as well. "It is an election year!"!!!!!!

Both parties set on their asses taking corporate handouts once they are elected and for a few years we just get entertained by them bickering back and forth like spoiled children!

It isn't a surprise when their jobs are on the line that they actually act like they care now is it?

If ANY OF THEM actually took their jobs seriously, we would here about these things on a weekly basis versus only when they are pandering for votes!

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   

seeker1963
If ANY OF THEM actually took their jobs seriously, we would here about these things on a weekly basis versus only when they are pandering for votes!

Now that would be great for the USA, but sadly I agree with you...

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Elton

I think they could come out as big heros if they spent a lot more time focusing on fixing the parts that need fixing, instead of on trying to repeal it. This is a step in the right drection, whether they like it or not.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   

No member of the House GOP leadership has publicly hailed the fix, which was tucked, at Republicans' request, into legislation preventing a cut in payments to doctors who treat Medicare patients.

apnews.myway.com...

PREVENTING a CUT to doctors.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Elton

The Republicans have been playing to like 22% of their voting base with the repeal shenanigans. After the elections, they will get on board with ACA, then try to take credit for it 20 years down the road. We citizens know what is going on and it is like watching a game of chess. I don't care as long as we don't go back to the old system.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Don't get me wrong! It was the right thing to do NEO!

What gets me though is the timing................

Finally!!! Harry Reid and John Boehner, got a conscious? Amazing how the 2 Headed 1 Party monster is able to "Compromise" when an election is coming up!

"We just don't have the votes right now to fix this problem for good," said Majority leader Harry Reid, D-Nev., who negotiated the measure with House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio. "For the millions of elderly Americans and their doctors this fix is good news. It means the promise of accessible, quality health care to our nation's seniors is being honored for another year."

Source

"THE SHOW MUST GO ON!".

edit on 6-4-2014 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Finally!!! Harry Reid and John Boehner, got a conscious? Amazing how the 2 Headed 1 Party monster is able to "Compromise" when an election is coming up! -

If they had a conscious there would be no ACA.

The only thing it is about is the 2014 elections.

After all Reid is on record saying the ACA is a 'stepping stone' to 'single payer' or that most glorious 'universal' healthcare they love so much.

The only thing the ACA defenders want to do is create the largest monopoly this country has ever seen, since the creation of the government, and social security, and medicare, and medicaid.

If they really gave a ratts behind about people they would unwind medicare, and medicaid off in to the private sector.

That would add over 100 million people in the private healthcare market.

And they are 'jubilan't'' over 7 million people !

That medicare, and medicaid ALREADY covered.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Just call it "RomneyCare" or "NixonCare".
Then the right will be more open to it.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Elton

There never was any intent to repeal it. Both parties in DC wanted it in since it was bought and paid for already by Big Pharma and Big Insurance. Everything else was all part of the show.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   

neo96

Finally!!! Harry Reid and John Boehner, got a conscious? Amazing how the 2 Headed 1 Party monster is able to "Compromise" when an election is coming up! -

If they had a conscious there would be no ACA.

The only thing it is about is the 2014 elections.

After all Reid is on record saying the ACA is a 'stepping stone' to 'single payer' or that most glorious 'universal' healthcare they love so much.

The only thing the ACA defenders want to do is create the largest monopoly this country has ever seen, since the creation of the government, and social security, and medicare, and medicaid.

If they really gave a ratts behind about people they would unwind medicare, and medicaid off in to the private sector.

That would add over 100 million people in the private healthcare market.

And they are 'jubilan't'' over 7 million people !

That medicare, and medicaid ALREADY covered.

They have admitted that single payer is what they wanted! What better way to get it than come up with something so horrible that everyone will be begging for something different???

Problem/Reaction/Solution!

Medicare will be coming down soon, because wasn't money funding it already stolen to support Obamacare? Correct me if I am wrong please!

Also, Medicaid! Are you kidding me? Wait until the FEDs stop pumping money to the states! In the law it even says that the first year or two the states get 100% federal funding then they will DUMP 10% of the funding, which means the states will be required to pay the 10% that the Feds won't. Then the Fed support goes down from there!

State governments are being put on a welfare program without even knowing it!

Ponzi scheme if I ever saw one........

The only people benefitting are those whom had no insurance, the insurance companies, AND THE IRS!!! Other than that, it seems that Obamacare in general, drove deductibles so damn high that hardly anyone will notice any savings whatsoever...
edit on 6-4-2014 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   

jacobe001
reply to post by Elton

There never was any intent to repeal it. Both parties in DC wanted it in since it was bought and paid for already by Big Pharma and Big Insurance. Everything else was all part of the show.

Admittedly I don't know enough about the politics of the ACA, but it seems like people voted for Obama for a nationalized single payer system (a gift to the public) and instead they got mandatory insurance (a gift to the insurance industry).

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   

They have admitted that single payer is what they wanted! What better way to get it than come up with something so horrible that everyone will be begging for something different??? - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Yep

Medicare will be coming down soon, because wasn't money funding it already stolen to support Obamacare? Correct me if I am wrong please! - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Your not wrong.

Medicare will be coming down soon, because wasn't money funding it already stolen to support Obamacare? Correct me if I am wrong please! - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

But pay roll taxes do not pay for medicare.

The current administration created 'alternative minimum taxes' and the sur tax on medicare on capital gains.

That article also said it 'didn't' cut payments to beneficiaries.

What kind of spending reductions are we talking about? They were mainly aimed at insurance companies and hospitals, not beneficiaries

www.politifact.com...

Which is taking money away from doctors.

I guess they are suppose to work for free.

And companies are suppose to insure people for free,

And hospitals are suppose to work for free.

Which means people receive more benefits, than they ever paid in.

Giving something for nothing.

What an epic cluster eff the ACA is.

edit on 6-4-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   

neo96

Which is taking money away from doctors.

I guess they are suppose to work for free.

And companies are suppose to insure people for free,

And hospitals are suppose to work for free.

Which means people receive more benefits, than they ever paid in.

Giving something for nothing.

What an epic cluster eff the ACA is.

edit on 6-4-2014 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

In a time when American's wages are being slashed or taking jobs with lower pay, the cost of Healthcare and Health Insurance was unsustainable in this Globalist Utopia the NeoCons have created.

Do you really think the pay they are getting in Big Pharma and Big Insurance can continue if we had a true free market?
They would be taking pay cuts like everyone else, but they have plenty of money to shower politicians with to make sure that does not come to fruition and have everyone else pay for it.

www.opensecrets.org...

TOP BIG SPENDING LOBBYISTS

Pharmaceuticals/Health Products $2,795,596,315
Insurance $1,964,085,236

Electric Utilities $1,836,267,571
Business Associations $1,599,841,724
Computers/Internet $1,539,193,215
Oil & Gas $1,520,091,017
Misc Manufacturing & Distributing $1,279,589,508
Education $1,278,209,819
TV/Movies/Music $1,198,351,376
Hospitals/Nursing Homes $1,185,577,186
Securities & Investment $1,117,167,652
Civil Servants/Public Officials $1,107,964,625
Real Estate $1,085,527,543
Health Professionals $1,062,105,067
Air Transport $999,244,120
Misc Issues $848,711,383
Automotive $806,876,749
Telephone Utilities $781,182,298
Telecom Services & Equipment $772,337,196
Health Services/HMOs $738,746,421

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by jacobe001

In a time when American's wages are being slashed or taking jobs with lower pay, -

That is a FLAT OUTLIE.

Americans of today, MAKE MORE than their parents did at the same ages, and A HELL of ALOT MORE than their grandparents made.

Do you really think the pay they are getting in Big Pharma and Big Insurance can continue if we had a true free market? -

A FREE MARKET is the epitome of what liberal means in the classical definition.

People decide what they buy. Not government forcing them to.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 04:54 PM
link   

neo96
reply to post by jacobe001

That is a FLAT OUTLIE.

We'll have to save this for another thread, but suffice to say, there have been countless people that I have talked to in real life and on forums that were able to afford a car, apartment and save money when they started out working on minimum wage in the 60's and 70's. Not to mention what a college educated adult was paid back then as well....

People decide what they buy. Not government forcing them to.

If you accept the inane premise that money=freedom of speech, then your "people decide" is a shallow statement.

Corporations and Banks that clamber for Trade Pacts to fatten their bottom lines with Cheap Chinese labor, or not wanting to label GMO Products tells me what they think about letting the "people decide"

They want a controlled market, not a Free Market.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   

neo96
That is a FLAT OUTLIE.

Americans of today, MAKE MORE than their parents did at the same ages, and A HELL of ALOT MORE than their grandparents made.

You are correct, I think the increase in housing costs over the years is why people feel their money does not go as far as it used to.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Elton

That is true. Most liberals and democrats wanted a single payer system. But it was hard enough getting the ACA that does not have that devastating "pre-existing clause". Now a person is not tied to their job just because of insurance.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 10:54 PM
link   
If Democrats *really* *really* wanted "single-payer" ......

Then what were they so afraid of in 2009 when they had the votes and the President?

United States National Health Care Act

it must have been the republican "no" votes.

oh wait, no Republicans voted for the PPACA and it passed anyway.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 01:05 AM
link   

xuenchen
If Democrats *really* *really* wanted "single-payer" ......

Then what were they so afraid of in 2009 when they had the votes and the President?

United States National Health Care Act

it must have been the republican "no" votes.

oh wait, no Republicans voted for the PPACA and it passed anyway.

Do you mean the people who voted? or the politicians?

Because once you (as an individual) vote for your representative then you pretty much get excluded from the process. You must hope that the representative does what they said they would do. This is true for both parties in the USA I believe...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join