It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conservative Atheist

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   

I thought this was interesting, and offered a perspective I had not considered. I am always interested in how one arrives at their conclusions before I judge/assess, and I thought this guy makes some good points.

He thinks conservatives are losing voters to Libertarians because of religion. He is conservative but does not vote Republican because they have not have a candidate that honors strict separation of church and state.
He claims US is not a christian nation, and he can prove it. (sounds like a good thread)

He and his group were thrown out of CPAC for supposedly attacking Chrisitians. He denies it however. Adam makes a good point about his shirt and pins and the guy says he's a billboard for the cause.
He might get more ears listening if he blended in better, but ya gotta appreciate a little frustrated exclamation every now and then.

This brings up a few issues, religion in politics, separation of state/church and current voter trends.

I just became aware of this utube guy Adam, and he has some good vids revealing just how complex and twisted politics can be, both in function and perspective.

I don't have much of an opinion to offer, this is more informative, but I found it to be relative and of some value.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

He isn't an atheist... he is an anti-christian. Nothing more than an political agent provocateur.

www.fireandreamitchell.com...

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. For what fellowship has righteousness with lawlessness? And what communion does light have with darkness? And what accord does Christ have with Belial? Or what part has a believer with an unbeliever? And what agreement does the temple of God with idols? For you are the temple of the living God. As God has said: "I will dwell in them and walk among them. I will be their God, and they shall be my people." [Cor 6:14, 16]

I think it would be better if religion stayed away from politics all together simply because religion is it's own law and though it teaches to even submit to the authorities, it doesn't say go and conspire with them at the same time. Concerning politics, give the Athiests everything they want... It is what they both stand for.
edit on 5-4-2014 by 168617 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

I think what is forgotten in these instances is that constitutional republicanism is about limited government, not any particular belief system. Ordinarily, the only reason one might consider atheism a feature worth mention is when planning a centralized society.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

Ouch....Oreilly gets his hat handed to him in that video.

As an agnostic, I think this atheist fellow has some great points. It doesn't matter what PERSONAL beliefs a person has, they have no place in politics or government.

The "religious Right" does have a strangle-hold on the Republican party, so much so that it would ruin someone's political career if they ran as a Republican but expressed no belief in God.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by infolurker

I see your point, but I think Oreilly acted like a desperate chump. Of course I am biased and dislike him and his Faux cronies.
I think this guy acts a little extreme for his own good, but at the same time he has some good points.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by 168617

Agreed, but many in the conservative realm do not wish to separate them, and feel that a lack of god is the problem. I too think it is best to keep them separate, as did our forefathers. Like the guy suggests, morality is not exclusive to religion.

posted on Apr, 6 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by greencmp

I think what is forgotten in these instances is that constitutional republicanism is about limited government, not any particular belief system. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Yea this is true, but Christianity runs deep through the conservative party and the red states, which I don't have a problem with, but using religion as a platform could be perceived as discriminatory.
I think this guy makes a good point about losing voters to the Libertarian party.

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

On tonight, live from 10PM Eastern time!

Show thread with listening information

posted on Apr, 9 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   

speculativeoptimist
reply to post by greencmp

I think what is forgotten in these instances is that constitutional republicanism is about limited government, not any particular belief system. - See more at: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Yea this is true, but Christianity runs deep through the conservative party and the red states, which I don't have a problem with, but using religion as a platform could be perceived as discriminatory.
I think this guy makes a good point about losing voters to the Libertarian party.

I'm Libertarian and an agnostic, but the reason I'm not Republican is more to do with the party being completely corrupt to the core and not so much to do with their religious values, though that is a concern to me as well.

top topics

join