It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apollo 16 Flag is Still Casting Shadows

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I've always loved the detail in LROC images of the Moon and especially of the Apollo landing sites. You can see the Descent Modules, various equipment left there by the moonwalkers, and even their foot tracks in the lunar soil. But what's even cooler is that by comparing LROC images taken at different times of the lunar day, we can see the flag shadow creeping along the ground, proving quite positively that the flags are still there (with the exception of Apollo 11 flag, which was knocked down during lift-off).

James Fincannon has assembled LROC images showing the changing location of the flag shadow from sunrise to sunset. Before noon, the shadow is west of the flagstaff; at local noon, the shadow is close to the flagstaff, and so on. The yellow vertical line indicates the east-west location of the flag staff; the short white lines indicate shadow positions:

Animated gif:

Article with more images and analysis: www.hq.nasa.gov...

The Apollo 11 flag blew over at LM liftoff. The other five Apollo Flags are all still casting shadows. You can see this for yourself by using LROC Featured Sites "Flip Book" for each Apollo landing site.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

Thank you for posting this. One more tiny detail that Moon Hoax believers have to account for: why would NASA even bother to fake this?

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Well, that one is easy....It was a race, get there and plant a flag before everyone else(Russia)

I'm not a "Moon hoax believer", just saying

Nice shadow btw...

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Mianeye
reply to post by DJW001

Well, that one is easy....It was a race, get there and plant a flag before everyone else(Russia)

Nice shadow btw...

So... why fake these photos decades after the race ended?

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Very nice, I love me the moon walks. Thanks for compiling (a.k.a. sharing) this thread and info with us.

The moon-hoaxers are a vanishing breed, they just can't argue with the accumulated data and have any of it hold up. Back when the moon walks were taking place nobody was claiming hoax (I think that emerged about the time the "Capricorn One" movie came out, and I knew the guy who claimed he wrote the script and idea and then the studio stole much of it although they did pay him. His name was Mike Murphy, an author and writer of some renown in some circles at the time. Forgot about that until just now as I was typing this. He died long ago).
edit on 5-4-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   

DJW001

Mianeye
reply to post by DJW001

Nice shadow btw...

So... why fake these photos decades after the race ended?

The race never ends

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I think the idea that the first moon landing may have been fabricated will always be itching at some people because of the very political "need" to win the race, but the idea that we never went there seems a pretty huge stretch. Why we haven't been back in so long seems a bit odd though. Seem like an ISS-type base would have been a better project for the moon first.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   

This is the one that is essentially all white now due to the sun right?

The other question is do these photos of the landing sites put to rest the notion that humans never set foot on the moon?

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Xcathdra

The other question is do these photos of the landing sites put to rest the notion that humans never set foot on the moon?

Unfortunately not.

Nothing short of dragging their asses up to the moon and shoving their faces into the astronauts footprints would change some hoax believers minds.

I can just hear Jarra White's sneery voice now....

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   

seabhac-rua

Xcathdra

Unfortunately not.

Nothing short of dragging their asses up to the moon and shoving their faces into the astronauts footprints would change some hoax believers minds.

I would be the first to volunteer to lead a group like that to the moon..

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 08:32 AM
link   

seabhac-rua

Xcathdra

Unfortunately not.

If we do, count me to those "HOAX" ppl....please

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

I have some land in Florida for sale...... Why would NASA fake this? and every other photo? Do you really think a flag planted on the moon over 40 years ago, would still be there, and not ravaged and shredded by the solar wind? Also, look at the info on any of these photos, look for the Ducky or Adobe photoshop listings...They have been on every so - called photo proof of an Apollo site....Nothing to see here that's based in reality...I too wanted to believe in Apollo, but after 4 years of personal research, looking at both sides, filtering out the yelling and screaming and posturing and dodging the minions, there is just too much doubt to believe in an institution that knowingly will lie and hide the truth about what's up there.....

A quote from J.P. Skipper says it best for all of us.....Personal denial and pretense changes nothing at all and only perpetuates self - ignorance and that in turn increases the risk of an unfortunate, unprepared for outcome as reality goes on relentlessly about its business.

What is reality.... and do you really trust Uncle Sam

thanks

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   

wildespace
I've always loved the detail in LROC images of the Moon . ..

LoL....you can't be serious ....google earth has better detail of your neighbor kids bike sitting in the driveway..

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Hoaxster

Well so they should!

You'd be stupid to compare lunar satellite photography with earth satellite photography!

For one, google earth uses aerial photography as well as satellite imagery.

Second the logistics of the two are chalk and cheese...

edit on 5-4-2014 by AlphaHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by nomickeyshere

"Ravaged and shredded by solar wind"???

So the moon has weather? If your research has lead you to believe that, then I guess you wasted 4 years.

The Apollo Program was an international effort, it involved many countries, not just your 'Uncle Sam'. The telemetry and radio communications from the missions was monitored and triangulated by people from all over the world.

Did you spend 4 years watching youtube videos?

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Xcathdra

This is the one that is essentially all white now due to the sun right?

It all depends on what you mean. The notion that no Apollos landed on the Moon is heavily dependent on the added notion that the Apollos never left LEO, while something we know well is that at the very least they were twice further than the radiation belts, so not much point in going back by then.

+1 more 
posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   

LoL....you can't be serious ....google earth has better detail of your neighbor kids bike sitting in the driveway..

This can't be stressed enough. They have spy satellites that can read a newspaper headline from space THROUGH Earth's dense atmosphere....and these photos are the best that NASA has to offer?

Total garbage. Those photos prove absolutely nothing.

That's consistent with what Mark Lowenthal, a former intelligence official, thinks, too. According to Lowenthal, president of the Arlington-based Intelligence and Security Academy, commercial satellite imagery can make out objects that are as small as 20 inches across. But Lowenthal notes that according to various press reports military satellites are about twice again as good, capable of resolution down to 10 inches. The Federation of American Scientists has a great side-by-side comparison of the same image sampled at various resolutions.

www.washingtonpost.com...

So...the US can make satellites that have a resolution of 10 inches potentially....and we are supposed to believe that this is as good as we can do from a spacecraft orbiting at a mere 50 km from the Moon's surface?

Most spy sats are in geosynchronous orbit at a distance of 22,160 mi [35,663 km]....REALLY folks.

And I'm the one thats crazy?

edit on 05America/Chicagoam052014-04-05T11:50:44-05:00amSaturday04 by deadcalm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Which pixel is the flag and which spot is the shadow?

When NASA shows a crappy quality image of a suspicious flag-pole and shadow, it is right on the money for the believers. Would you, if shown a similar photograph of an UFO, believe it without a doubt? Just my two cents.
edit on 5-4-2014 by radkrish because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-4-2014 by radkrish because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   

So the moon has weather? If your research has lead you to believe that, then I guess you wasted 4 years.

Though the moon itself doesn't have weather per se....space most certainly does....and the moon is in space. Given that the moon has no atmosphere, whatever is on the moons surface is subject to the conditions that exist in space....in fact there is even a web site dedicated to it....

spaceweather.com...

Still with me?

Though it is not weather in the terrestrial sense...it is still weather.

That does not mean to say that the flags are there today. I work two blocks south of the Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum where a major exhibit is a LM on a simulated lunar surface, complete with astronaut mannequin and flag. The flag, which was similar to those used in the 1969-1971 lunar missions, has only been at the site since the museum's 1976 opening, and already it is quite noticeably faded. Here, the sun's rays are filtered by miles of atmosphere and the plexiglass roof of the museum. I dare say that the unfiltered UV rays hitting the lunar surface have fully destroyed all the flags left by the Apollo crews by now.

Nick Artimovich, 18 Nov 1996

www.crwflags.com...

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by seabhac-rua

Look at the evidence of the Russian flags mounted outside of the Space Station....they were reduced to shreds within a YEAR! The solar wind is full of high speed particles, there are micro meteors, etc flying through space at all times...these destroyed the space station flag in a year, and it's partially protected...On the lunar surface!!! Whats there to protect a flag??
Think about it

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join