It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan orders military to strike any new North Korea missile launches

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   

TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan has ordered a destroyer in the Sea of Japan to strike any ballistic missiles that may be launched by North Korea in the coming weeks after Pyongyang fired a Rodong medium-range missile over the sea, a government source said on Saturday.

Japanese Defense Minister Itsunori Onodera issued the order on Thursday, but did not make it public in order to avoid putting a chill on renewed talks between Tokyo and Pyongyang, the first in more than a year, local media reported earlier.

Japanese Aegis destroyers in the Sea of Japan are equipped with advanced radar equipment able to track multiple targets and carry missiles designed to take out targets at the edge of space.
Japan orders military to strike any new North Korea missile launches

Things are starting to really heat up with North Korea firing missiles over Japan's sea. Now Japan will shoot down any missile launched by North Korea that comes towards Japan.

Who knows how North Korea will react to its missiles being shot down. This could turn into something more dangerous with the two countries firing pop-shots at each other.

And then will South Korea join in as well? This is definitely a situation to keep an eye on as it escalates.

edit on 5-4-2014 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Good catch Bonez. This is an important development. Japan doesn't say much, but they tend to mean what they do say. I see where they didn't mean this to be public but it's an awkward spot now. Kim is almost goaded into trying, as I'm sure he sees it, based on his previous actions. Japan really can't allow another one now, without possibly showing weakness if it's publicly expected they won't.

Not a good spot to see Asian nations in, where saving face is a priority that ranks high in everything.
edit on 5-4-2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Definitely not a good spot as the U.S. will get dragged into the middle of it all since we're allies with Japan and South Korea. Anything that happens over there will impact the U.S. in one form or another.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

Japan just like Germany are scary countries when nationalism and fear start taking hold. Yes this is a new age but they are who they are. And given the right push all the walls of peace will crumble away in a heart beat.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000
I see where they didn't mean this to be public but it's an awkward spot now. Kim is almost goaded into trying, as I'm sure he sees it, based on his previous actions. Japan really can't allow another one now, without possibly showing weakness if it's publicly expected they won't.

I'm not so sure the release of the order is accidental. North Korea is used to getting their way with the US just by making a lot of noise but Japan is actually dealing with the missiles being fired in their general direction and the article said the meetings didn't really accomplish anything. This could be Japan's way of showing North Korea that they aren't equals and that they're growing tired of North Korea. Japan doesn't really have anything to lose by shooting missiles down in front of the whole world but the little loud mouth in Pyongyang has a lot to lose.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 12:28 AM
link   
Well the problem as I see it is that Japan would be violating the sovereignty of a foreign nation...even if that nation is a sadistic one, one which the world would be much better without. But a sovereign nation nonetheless. However, I believe it would depend on whether these are North Korean waters, international waters, or foreign waters. If the missiles were in Japanese territory, they could not only shoot them down, but claim aggression on the part of NK. If the missiles are being shot from, and remain in, North Korean territory, then I do not see how Japan can legally shoot them down.

So I think they must be very careful here, depending of course on what I mentioned regarding the territory involved. Because North Korea would very well be within their rights to complain about such an act being perpetrated. They would be on the right side for once, lol. Missile tests are conducted by virtually every major military power, and what if Mexico or Canada decided to shoot down a missile launched from within the US into US waters off the coast? That would not go over very well with the US government I can tell you.

So NK testing missiles is something that cannot be claimed as illegal or immoral or whatever, because they aren't the only ones doing it. I don't think I've ever stood up for NK at any point in the past, but as long as they remain within their territorial limits, they can virtually do anything they want, granted they don't violate international law...But they likely can even go that far, as long as they aren't threatening the sovereignty or safety of surrounding nations.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

The most likely scenario is that the missiles are over international waters and heading roughly towards Japanese airspace or territorial waters. Japan can shoot them down at will without anything legal being an issue. However, as another poster has mentioned, this will not sit well with young Kim, who thinks he has a lot to prove, and may think that NK is actually an equal to the US militarily. Just look at NK propaganda and it is very possible he does believe it. His actions are not those of someone who can see the big picture. But he does understand that the US is busy with Russia, and he has the foundations to think that whatever he does, China will play interference.

The most likely scenario where NK does something other than bluster will be a directed attack on Seoul (land invasion) and Japan (missile attack). I can see an invasion of SK during this time, since that is where he would have the most to gain. He would assume, with some history to back it up, that China will protect NK during the brawl.

All in all, this is turning into a most interesting time.

Pass the marshmallows, will ya?

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

That's the thing, there's no violation of any country's sovereignty because the missiles have been flying over and landing in the Japan Sea. Japan most - certainly has the right to shoot them down if they so desire.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Sure, an AEGIS Destroyer can shoot down any test missile fired. But they can't take out hundreds and NK has hundreds.

Giving NK an excuse to open fire is not a good idea! China may also side with NK.

I am sick and tired of the rhetoric from both sides and I absolutely hate the West's hypocrisy.

Answer this! What would Japan or the US or South Korea do, if someone else shot down their test missiles flying in International airspace after all the correct notifications had been given?

You can not have one set of rules for yourself and another for someone you just don't like! It is not on. It sucks.

We have all this tech ........ you can't have any!

Get stuffed.

P

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 01:15 AM
link   

_BoneZ_
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Definitely not a good spot as the U.S. will get dragged into the middle of it all since we're allies with Japan and South Korea. Anything that happens over there will impact the U.S. in one form or another.

Perhaps the POTUS will take the podium and pontificate his preponderance in proselytizing the N. Koreans in becoming a democratic peaceful people.
Propitiously unprobable.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 01:46 AM
link   

pheonix358
Sure, an AEGIS Destroyer can shoot down any test missile fired. But they can't take out hundreds and NK has hundreds.

Giving NK an excuse to open fire is not a good idea! China may also side with NK.

I am sick and tired of the rhetoric from both sides and I absolutely hate the West's hypocrisy.

Answer this! What would Japan or the US or South Korea do, if someone else shot down their test missiles flying in International airspace after all the correct notifications had been given?

You can not have one set of rules for yourself and another for someone you just don't like! It is not on. It sucks.

We have all this tech ........ you can't have any!

Get stuffed.

P

No, the hypocrisy is yours. What would YOU say if the US "tested" missiles by firing them towards NK? You would flip your lid, and then claim NK has every right to shoot them down.

How about NK should not be testing missiles by firing them in the direction of Japan, and if they do, they should be shot down, period, end of story.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 01:55 AM
link   
I think the Japanese stance stems from the recent UN security council meeting on North Korea. While everyone was paying attention to events in Ukraine, the US and S. Korea held their annual war games. The very ones that N. Korea complains about every year.

What was different this year was North Korea firing off missiles (not artillery that been reported as well). Those missile launches by North Korea included their medium range missiles, which was a violation of UN sanctions on North Korea.

An emergency meeting of the security council was held like a week ago. At the end of the meeting none of the ambassadors spoke to the media.

I am thinking that this might be a result of that meeting.

As for the comment about violating national sovereignty. Normally I would agree with that position however North Korea has in the past launched missiles over Japan.

Secondly N. Korea has had issues with their missile programs, so its not out of the realm of possibility for a missile test to fall short / go off track. The final thing to watch is if the launches actually violate Japanese airspace.

Just my 2 cents.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Xcathdra
I think the Japanese stance stems from the recent UN security council meeting on North Korea. While everyone was paying attention to events in Ukraine, the US and S. Korea held their annual war games. The very ones that N. Korea complains about every year.

What was different this year was North Korea firing off missiles (not artillery that been reported as well). Those missile launches by North Korea included their medium range missiles, which was a violation of UN sanctions on North Korea.

An emergency meeting of the security council was held like a week ago. At the end of the meeting none of the ambassadors spoke to the media.

I am thinking that this might be a result of that meeting.

As for the comment about violating national sovereignty. Normally I would agree with that position however North Korea has in the past launched missiles over Japan.

Secondly N. Korea has had issues with their missile programs, so its not out of the realm of possibility for a missile test to fall short / go off track. The final thing to watch is if the launches actually violate Japanese airspace.

Just my 2 cents.

You beat me to it! This is my take on it as well. I also think that whilst China may on the surface support NK, it is getting mightly fed up of it's troublesome appendix. And even they have told Kim to pack it in regarding nukes. I don't think the Chinese Dragon would be amused if Kim decides to test another nuke. It might well turn against NK if it should do so. They don't want a glowing green Chinese banquet!

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Wirral Bagpuss
You beat me to it! This is my take on it as well. I also think that whilst China may on the surface support NK, it is getting mightly fed up of it's troublesome appendix. And even they have told Kim to pack it in regarding nukes. I don't think the Chinese Dragon would be amused if Kim decides to test another nuke. It might well turn against NK if it should do so. They don't want a glowing green Chinese banquet!

Relations between China and N. Korea have always been love / hate. Since Un took control though its become a major source of tensions. Chinese state media did some articles on the relationship between the 2 countries and went so far as to state the "bond" that was present from the start is no longer there.

The Chinese people are more concerned about their economy and the ramifications to it should N. Korea go bonkers and start a war. A lot of the current Chinese government are not the 1st generation individuals who forged the alliance between the 2 countries. They are not beholden to N. Korea as their predecessor's were (in terms of an alliance based on ideology / common enemy).

A good chunk of the Chinese people view N. Korea as a negative when it comes to association and are concerned N. Korean actions will drag China into a situation they will find it very difficult to get out of with economic impact.

The former uncle who was killed was the go between for N. Korea and China. When he was executed, and his staff subsequently purged, I think it removed the one last bridge between the 2 countries. I think China took that action as an affront, that Un was running his own game plan and felt Chinese relations / concerns were not a part of that plan.

There have been recent rumors than Un's brother (who fled and is in hiding since he would pose a threat to Un) was in china and was being protected by Chinese authorities. If true, I think it signals the eventual end of N. Korea. At some point N. Korea is going to become one of those issues for china where the mindset of having a unified Korea under Seoul would be less problematic than allowing Un to continue to act like Dr. Strangelove.

China has advanced to the point where they are not willing to throw away what they have accomplished in order to save a regime that is nothing more than a spoiled brat who wastes their allowance on trivial items while expecting China to protect them when they piss off other countries.

The closer we get to the collapse of the North Korean government the more likely the North Korean government will be to start an armed conflict in hopes of saving themselves by sacrificing the N. Korean people.

I could see China invading North Korea to protect themselves before allowing the North to drag them into an armed conflict. Add in the territorial issues China has with other Asian nations and N. Korea becomes even less of a priority.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Perhaps it's because on more than one occasion, North Koreas missile tests have killed civilians from other countries.

North Korea's missile and rocket launches usually end up flying over Japan, given North Koreas track record, perhaps they're a little bit worries one of them will come down over a city.

edit on 5-4-2014 by AlphaHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 02:40 AM
link   
An interesting development, but one not too surprising. We see neighbouring countries threaten such actions every year, when the DPRK tests their missiles.

I think we should be looking closer at this new type of nuclear test that the North Korean state claims to be preparing to conduct.

Thanks for the thread, though.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 02:48 AM
link   

AlphaHawk

Perhaps it's because on more than one occasion, North Koreas missile tests have killed civilians from other countries.

North Korea's missile and rocket launches usually end up flying over Japan, given North Koreas track record, perhaps they're a little bit worries one of them will come down over a city.

When I hear North Korea and rocket launch in the same sentence I immediately conjure an image of empty beer cans all over the ground, a passed out guy whose friends wedged a whiffle ball bat under his arm while placing 20 bottle rockets, that have all been taped together, including and unbeknownst taped to the bat itself, while another friend will light the fuse with a flame thrower...

All the while Un, in a slurred voice, states - Hey y'all watch this...

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04

They are firing them towards an ocean / sea as almost everyone else does.

Incidentally, just in case someone takes it the wrong way, the 'get stuffed' was directed towards the hypocrisy of the west NOT at any poster!.

If SK was firing test missiles towards the sea of japan we would not be discussing this.

P

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 03:05 AM
link   

AlphaHawk

Good point. Both sides are acting like spoilt children although I have never heard of injuries by NK missiles. Would you care to list a source?

P

edit on 5/4/2014 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 03:07 AM
link   

pheonix358
If SK was firing test missiles towards the sea of japan we would not be discussing this.

P

That would be because South Korea is not under UN sanctions where as N. Korea is.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join