It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could someone please explain why ATS image posting is rather cumbersome?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Kurius
reply to post by Rodinus

I would agree with you. No fight here.
Again, I am not complaining, but merely also trying to highlight and understand the reason(s) behind this more convoluted way of posting an image. It is rather unusual and curious especially for such a slick, well-designed site.

5 seconds maybe to you and I (maybe longer for me; I have slower connection), but sometimes we fail to realize there are older or folks who might take much longer...then others with slow bandwidth (there are still those too, you know?). In the end, they wouldn't bother posting images, if at all. Tough? Right.

Oh well, I tried.

Tis tough indeed Kurius,

Me too I am an oldie and have an extremely slow bandwith smack bang in the middle of the countryside...

I still bother posting pics and videos... even if it means gnawing at my lips and grinding my teeth from time to time...

The website owner (s), designers and mods have in my eyes done a magnificent job in creating this "slick well designed site" as you quite rightly put it...

However, as I empathized earlier on, to have a quick pic icon added somewhere to make posting easier would probably mean the end for a lot of other members here as this would probably ALSO mean that ATS would have to become a pay site... (some members here cannot afford to pay). If I am wrong maybe someone from the moderation staff can clarify?

We just have to live with it and keep a stiff upper lip whilst at the same time enjoying ATS.

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 4/4/14 by Rodinus because: Question to Mods added

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

Haha...yes, the everchanging expectations.

I'm so ready for the probe to my brain so I can just wish for things to happen and they will

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Rodinus

Kurius
reply to post by Rodinus

I would agree with you. No fight here.
Again, I am not complaining, but merely also trying to highlight and understand the reason(s) behind this more convoluted way of posting an image. It is rather unusual and curious especially for such a slick, well-designed site.

5 seconds maybe to you and I (maybe longer for me; I have slower connection), but sometimes we fail to realize there are older or folks who might take much longer...then others with slow bandwidth (there are still those too, you know?). In the end, they wouldn't bother posting images, if at all. Tough? Right.

Oh well, I tried.

Tis tough indeed Kurius,

Me too I am an oldie and have an extremely slow bandwith smack bang in the middle of the countryside...

I still bother posting pics and videos... even if it means gnawing at my lips and grinding my teeth from time to time...

The website owner (s), designers and mods have in my eyes done a magnificent job in creating this "slick well designed site" as you quite rightly put it...

However, as I empathized earlier on, to have a quick pic icon added somewhere to make posting easier would probably mean the end for a lot of other members here as this would probably ALSO mean that ATS would have to become a pay site... (some members here cannot afford to pay). If I am wrong maybe someone from the moderation staff can clarify?

We just have to live with it and keep a stiff upper lip whilst at the same time enjoying ATS.

Kindest respects

Rodinus
edit on 4/4/14 by Rodinus because: Question to Mods added

My apologies. Seeing how [unnecessarily] defensive and offensive your replies were, I had thought you were part of the design team.

Although cost maybe a factor, I do have my doubts. After all, the owner could easily suggest to have all images hosted elsewhere too.
Tis curious indeed.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Kurius

Well I wasnt trying to be harsh, honestly I have a time posting pics. Just to me several clicks doesnt seem to hard. I agree a super button that did everything we wanted with one click would be nice.
I actually think I am getting nicer in my old age, and some not so subtle hints from ATS on some of my past responses.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I've always used Photobucket. It seems like it's the only image hosting site that works here.

And yeah, the image posting here has always been a bit different/more difficult than most other forums.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   

My apologies. Seeing how [unnecessarily] defensive and offensive your replies were, I had thought you were part of the design team.

Although cost maybe a factor, I do have my doubts. After all, the owner could easily suggest to have all images hosted elsewhere too.
Tis curious indeed.

Ouch, that was a little harsh?

I do not see how [unnecessarily] defensive and offensive my replies were?.. But if this comment makes you feel better then so be it.

Never mind, I took some time out and tried to help you with some advice through the experience I have gained here and you took it badly in thinking that I was being defensive and offensive... This is your point of view and I respect and understand it.

I shall no longer contribute to this thread to keep you happy and also to avoid thread drift out of respect to you and other posters here.

If you have an issue with this reply too I kindly invite you to PM me.

Have a good day and above all enjoy ATS... and as always... Deny Ignorance.

Kindest respects

edit on 4/4/14 by Rodinus because: Phrase added

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Testing the new Dolphin browser

Still cumbersome, probably a "phablet" issue. I had to have pen and paper - couldn't copy and paste the pic info

Clearly, still some issues somewhere....
edit on 4-4-2014 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Rodinus

Sorry, buddy. Didn't intend to offend you. Just an observation that your earlier posts didn't appear to answer the question but merely trying to defend the design and went as far as to blame users instead. That was all.
Again, I apologize if that offended you. Enjoy the countryside, as I imagine I would too.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by tinner07

I know it isn't hard...just cumbersome. As I remember, there are user-friendliness factors to consider where website design is concerned. It strikes me as odd that there are more steps in ATS to post pics than really necessary.

Good to hear you have mellowed down.

edit on 4-4-2014 by Kurius because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   

snowspirit
couldn't copy and paste the pic info

Did the pic show up in your uploads? Copy/paste has been working for quite some time in Android. What issue are you having?

edit on 4-4-2014 by _BoneZ_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Pics are slow to go into the uploads, but they did go in.
One went sideways, another upside down.

I don't know why they aren't showing up in here though, I've done this with my laptop, without any problems

I downloaded dolphin, and the dolphin jet pack, and Adobe flash, enabled settings to always on..

My copy and paste system isn't working very well either, not sure yet if that's because the phablet isn't used to the new browser yet.
When I try to do the copy, it's trying to save the image, or open in a new tab.
Plus, it seems I need an extra window tab open to retrieve the picture info.
I will keep trying
Baby steps...

There's also an oblong thing that appears on the screen when in the reply screen, that looks like something should be typed into it (like pic info?), but it's not working that way.
It shows up after clicking on the picture icon and just floats around the screen. It does have an x in the corner to close it

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Kurius

it's not just new members who find it hard
iv'e been here a while and it's like sometimes
it works fine other times i haven't got a clue
maybe it's my age haha

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 11:56 AM
link   

The oblong thing that shows up, looks like the box that expands in the already uploaded pics, to the pic info.
This could be the phone/tablet being persnickety..

The pic shows up in the preview, although it's upside down

it shows up

upside down

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by darknewt

...and it always seems like just when you figure it out, they change it!

edit on 4/4/2014 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

You may have accidentally edited the photo in a photo editor and flipped it before uploading it. That would be my guess.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by _BoneZ_

No editor

that's directly from camera on phone to photo gallery, to ats.
Not sure how or why it ended upside down
Or sideways..

At least they're showing up now, sideways as well
They're positioned normal before putting them in ats

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   

VirusGuard

tinner07
I agree its really not that difficult. I have posted a couple pictures and admit I probably had to open the freshman forum in another tab and follow a couple simple instructions. I'm sure if I posted pics regularly I imagine I wouldnt need the instructions, but a few clicks or what not is hardly difficult.

Well in just about every other forum they have a little images icon above the text area like here that you click but here a div opens at the top of the page and clicking it does nothing, no upload button, no insert Url button, nothing and I am not about to go searching all over the site for "simple instructions" of how to make it work.

^^ this

that particular feature is broken....i have pictures uploaded, and when i want to use them, i hafta open the uploads window in a separate tab, select my picture, copy the BBCode, and paste it, because the insert image tool is broken...you click "insert an image from your library", and it brings up a little window, that's completely empty.

having to do it this way IS very cumbersome, and unnecessarily complicated....if the "insert image" menu feature worked, this would be a non-issue

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Its one of the fastest and most simple procedures out there. Sizing is about the only real issue...and once you get that down.....PFFFFT!

Just a couple quick clicks. Why is that so hard???

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   
And uploading take about 15 secs, and to cut and paste it or click it into something is about 5-10 secs. Thats not cumbersome.

posted on Apr, 7 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I have to agree, it is a cumbersome pain in the arse to post images at ATS compared to every other internet forum I have ever been to where it really is a very straight forward matter of clicking on the image icon, selecting your photo and hitting enter. And I have never seen phone users complain about not being able to do it that way on other forums either.

I don't feel comfortable with it at all so won't be posting any images, which i'm sure everybody can live with.

I really don't accept any of the explanations being provided as being genuine reasons for why the image posting is as convoluted as it is. Why can't ATS understand some users are too time poor to go through the process when they only have time to fire off a quick post. I also wonder how the ATS method of posting images impacts on the security of individual users' machines given that they are essentially giving ATS access to their hard drives.

Why not keep up with your competitors and other forums across the internet by making the user experience as easy and efficient as possible? Have you got something to hide?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join