It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Catholic Kill-joys who condemn Sister Cristina

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   

BuzzyWigs
reply to post by DarknStormy

I think I'm sorry for you, for missing out on simply living. What could a God possibly care if people sing and dance? Music is one of the Greatest Gifts mankind has! Music and laughter and joie de vivre... without them, well, what a drag. A long, drawn out drag of a wasted human existence. For what?

You know what a waste of human existence is? People including women and children on a daily basis being murdered by extremists who got there weapons from your government, you know, the one you pay your taxes to... Watching country after country get obliterated and then overrun by Extremists because democracy has failed. People sitting on couches immersed by singing nuns and lying news outlets while this all goes on. You think my outlook is bleak? Put a video camera in front of your television and record yourself watching TV and then you will see what's bleak.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by markosity1973

She should stop singing while she is a sister. She is the cause of scandal for the CC. PERIOD!

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   

JesuitGarlic
Perhaps you might want to take a position that is actually true to the Greek language,...

Perhaps you might want to take a position that is actually true to HISTORICAL FACT.
People back then drank fermented drinks because it was safer. The water was full of germs.

And the scripture was VERY clear ... it was fermented wine. The details given about the wine steward
prove it. He lamented that the best wine was served last instead of first. Best wine is served first,
so that after the guests are drunk, the cheaper wine will be served and no one will notice.

What The Bible Really Says About Wine
It's not a big deal. It's not a sin to drink fermented wine.
And yes ... Jesus made WINE .. not grape juice.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by JesuitGarlic

So would the nun be pleased to know she has flashed the symbol of allegiance to Satan while on camera. If God means everything to her would she be proud of herself. That is up to her to decide

Whatever.

She's a talented human being who chose to join the Catholic sisterhood - the idea that some hand sign means worshipping something is silly.

I used to work with troubled kids, lots of them infatuated with gang culture. I learned how to do their fist-bump handshakes.
Does that make me a gangster? NO. It made me be able to connect with those kids - to have a human bond.

Do you also believe in "the Evil Eye" superstition? In parts of Mexico people tie a red thread around their babies/toddler's wrists to protect them from 'the Evil Eye'. They also worry about babies looking in mirrors - all based on folklore that for some reason they'll never talk, or they'll see demons and die, or their souls aren't yet developed fully and it will kill them.

She was connecting with another human being. Isn't that what "Jesus" is all about?

Sheesh. For heaven's sake. And what is your problem with Jesuits? If they're going to hell, it needn't concern you anyway. Pope Francis is a winner - he's just what the world needs. Your attitude seems a bit superstitious and obsessive to me, but (again) whatever. It's your 20s and your life, not mine. I say, live a little yourself, and stop judging other people and demonizing them. You seem extraordinarily worried about getting things perfectly right. Life doesn't have to be such a bummer, you know. It'll do that all on its own - if a person can find a personal joy, a talent that uplifts them, they should be able to do so, to help get through those troublesome bits.

She took her vows, and she sang her song, in the company of Sisters and family, and she was loved by all in the audience as well as the judges. Whether you think she's doing well or not is totally irrelevant to her soul's well-being. I'd venture to say that being a nun, she's more knowledgeable than you about her own faith; and certainly more aware of her spiritual growth and health.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   

I spend my time reading/learning, outside in nature, listening to music and dancing, loving my family and caring for them (which includes non-human animals). I'm anything but bleak.

I certainly don't think world violence is 'fun' or 'entertaining' - I find extremism revolting. Sitting in pious, hateful judgment on this young woman is also revolting. (And you're off-topic again)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by BuzzyWigs

Ok then let's get back on topic - The Hand Signal

Anyway, this is something that seems to pop up a lot regarding celebrities, politicians, even the pope himself so this is not some hand signal which means nothing. It is a distinct signal of Satanism.

But just when you think you have seen it all, you see this also and to me this is more disgusting that knocking a 25 year who done it herself because if you a proud to do anything George W.Bush has and will do, you are one f/d up person.. So here's what they have at the top of the religious structure and I have no doubt that they still have it there.

So for the sign being a nothing, a lot of people seem to do it in the high places and I refuse to follow them.. Idolaters. But I guess it's nothing though..

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   

I disagree. There is no sign yet that she wants to become an object of devotion by fans unless simply appearing on the show is enough for you to condemn her for that. But if being an object of adoration is becoming an idol, how does that make her different than the Pope? How many people worship the Pope, put him on a pedestal as they should be doing to God?

I don't think it's wrong at all to lift your voice in song and make a joyful noise to the Lord. Now had she chosen a song that mocks values in some way I might feel differently, but the song "is really talking about the way that in relationships, the way that so many things are around you all the time to try to distract you. And even though people may talk and say whatever they may want to say, but then no one can get in the way of this" (according to the Wiki). You can take this to talk about your relationship to a significant other, or as Sister Cristina likely does, it can be your relationship with God.

There is no disrespect in worship, ever. And when she worships in such a public way, she witnesses. Her joy in faith is clear and plain for all to see.

edit on 4-4-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 03:01 PM
link   

DarknStormy

markosity1973
I know the teachings of my own catholic faith very well. So well that I nearly became a priest. Catholicism is all about living like Jesus did, not hiding away from the rest of the world in holy huddles and certainly not condemning someone for standing up in a secular world and affirming her faith.

So she runs to a singing competition where she can be judged by four people who are Idols to other people? How is that affirming her faith? If anything it contradicts it. Not only that, she has become an Idol herself and do you really think that she is going to stick to what she says after this is all done and dusted? Wait till the $$$ signs kick in and then we will see the true intentions of this Nun.

So, you are pre-judging her?

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
she is hardly the first nun to do this, there is at least two nuns who had produced several albums , 1 was sister janet mead.
her version of the lords prayer went gold.# 3 in australia, # 4 on the billboards top 100 in U.S. in 1974.

and in 60's there was The Singing Nun/ Sister Smile, Jeanne-Paule-Marie Deckers from Belgium.

her song "Dominique" was a international hit, in 1962 her album sold nearly 2 million copies. there was even a movie made about her,in 1965.

but i tell even though people like it,this nun in italy whitney houston style caterwauling just ant for me.

edit on 4-4-2014 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   

DarknStormy

Ok then let's get back on topic - The Hand Signal

Anyway, this is something that seems to pop up a lot regarding celebrities, politicians, even the pope himself so this is not some hand signal which means nothing. It is a distinct signal of Satanism.

But just when you think you have seen it all, you see this also and to me this is more disgusting that knocking a 25 year who done it herself because if you a proud to do anything George W.Bush has and will do, you are one f/d up person.. So here's what they have at the top of the religious structure and I have no doubt that they still have it there.

So for the sign being a nothing, a lot of people seem to do it in the high places and I refuse to follow them.. Idolaters. But I guess it's nothing though..

You don't know what the "hook em horns" is? University of Texas? Jenna Bush's alma mater?

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

I knew there was a reason I didn't like those UT Longhorns! They're all a bunch of Satanists! That Hook 'em hand sign ... it IS the devil.

Beat me to it, BFFT.

As a proud Wildcat, I've been seeing entirely too much of that Hook 'em sign and stupid side of beef that goes with it.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 03:30 PM
link   
i always get a kick when people say that leaders are all rockin the horns. some might be.
some of them are probably using the American Sign Language sign for i love you.

there are distinct differences.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   

ketsuko

I knew there was a reason I didn't like those UT Longhorns! They're all a bunch of Satanists! That Hook 'em hand sign ... it IS the devil.

Beat me to it, BFFT.

As a proud Wildcat, I've been seeing entirely too much of that Hook 'em sign and stupid side of beef that goes with it.

My local high school uses the same "hook em horns" during the fight song.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Since the nun is Italian, let's look at the Italian cultural meaning of the horn sign;

Superstition In Italy and some Mediterranean cultures, when confronted with unfortunate events, or simply when these events are mentioned, the sign of the horns may be given to ward off bad luck. It is also used traditionally to counter or ward off the "evil eye" (malocchio). With fingers down, it is a common apotropaic gesture, by which superstitious people seek protection in unlucky situations (It is a more Mediterranean equivalent of knocking on wood). Thus, for example, the President of the Italian Republic, Giovanni Leone, shocked the country when, while in Naples during an outbreak of cholera, he shook the hands of patients with one hand while with the other behind his back he made the corna. This act was well documented by the journalists and photographers who were right behind him, a fact that had escaped President Leone's mind in that moment. In Italy, one can also "touch iron" (tocca ferro) or touch one's nose. Males in Italy and some other countries may grab their testicles when confronted by bad luck; however, this is considered more vulgar.

Source

Nope, nothing to see here. Nothing more silly that putting up a Christmas tree on Jesus' fake birthday or putting eggs out on Easter Sunday......
edit on 4-4-2014 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
DarknStormy for some Italian cultural education. Putting the horns face down in Italian culture is considered a counter to the evil eye/devil. Suor Cristina was talking at the time to Piero Pelù. Suor Cristina's ability to spiritually discern and show to the world who she was dealing with.

Suor Cristina ended up moving J-Ax to tears. I don't think it was just her voice that did so. He spoke about falling away from the church, and how perhaps he might not have, had there been music like hers. Suor Cristina touched his heart profoundly, and there was a lot more to his reaction than appreciation of her singing voice.

Suor Cristina did say that she would pick the first person to turn around though, and it was J-Ax. I do not believe in coincidences. Suor Cristina through the grace of God, will bring him back to the Church.

Anyway, I think she has a beautiful voice. Her performance also goes to show how music can touch people.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   

DarknStormy
I think you will find that Jesus was a full human and nothing more than a prophet.. He had 12 followers and some of them also wrote testimonies so why would they be less valuable than his?

Next thing you will be telling me that it was not Jesus who was crucified, he married Mary Magdelan and had children and there was no resurrection.

The core beliefs of Christianity is that Jesus is the Christ foretold in the old testament. He died upon the cross as a single sacrifice for mankind for all time so no more animal sacrifices were required. He desecended into the depths of hell, defeated death and Satan to rise again on the third day. He is the new covenant, the Son of God born of the Virgin Mary via the Grace of God via the holy spirit as per the anunciation.

If you don't believe these things, then you are not a Christian at all because they are all in the new testament.....

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Interesting. Today I learnt that there are Christian groups that believe (and can form some sort of cogent argument) that Jesus did not drink alcohol. I mean, I knew about the Christian nature of the abolitionists in the 19th and early 20th century, but I didn't think they really had a scriptural leg to stand on. Cool to know
(and I guess in some ways more internally consistent with the rest of the Bible).

I wiki'd this "The Voice of Italy" competition, and it does actually seem more focused on singing than you'd expect something like "The Italian Idol" (which doesn't exist, as far as I can tell) to be. If she was participating in something like that instead, I might have been a bit more wary of it...I still find the name (American Idol, Canadian Idol, Australian Idol, Indian Idol, etc.) a bit off-putting, not to mention the mentality and and intention behind it (it being more a popularity contest seeking to create a persona for the masses to idolise, rather than simply a singing competition).

Obligatory awesome nunsinger song:

edit on 4-4-2014 by babloyi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

As a proud Wildcat,

Yeah? Which Wildcats? There are several around...

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by markosity1973

I wish I were important enough to give you applause.
Thank you for that. Cultural competency (familiarity with and understanding of foreign cultures) is something sorely lacking in the majority of Americans (born here).

Anyway, here's a

edit on 4/4/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Oh, not the cool ones I assure you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join