It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

10,000-year-old settlement found in Cork

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Quite often archaeological sites are found when excavating for construction, road building in this case. I find it rather reassuring that some countries have the foresight to include archaeologists in their projects.

A new book by archaeologists will detail illustrated accounts of 114 significant excavations undertaken in Ireland, revealing a wealth of information about the country's first known settlers, more than 500 generations ago. The book will be published by the National Roads Authority on Dec. 10 at University College Cork.

source

I followed the link provided to a prior article on the NRA and their discoveries which I found quite interesting:

The earliest known settlers in Co Cork were hunter-gatherers who lived near Fermoy more than 10,100 years ago. That’s according to archaeologists who will reveal a wealth of information about our ancestors when they launch a book published by the National Roads Authority on Dec 10 at UCC.

The NRA has funded more than 2,000 excavations on national road projects since it was established in 1994.

I will add I thought it interesting that for the purpose of financing a war currency with no actual value was minted, this reminded me of the confederate money and it's loss of value when the south lost the war.

An Anglo-Norman moated settlement, built in the 13th century, was unearthed at Ballinvinny South, north-east of Glanmire. The same settlement was later occupied in the 17th century and held a horde of James II coins. “These weren’t ordinary coins,” said Mr Hanely. “[James] had no money. Instead of using gold and silver coins he smelted coins from cheaper metals to pay his soldiers.” The tokens were to be redeemed for real money if he won the war against William of Orange, but he didn’t and so they were worthless.

source

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Nice find! 10,000 years is pretty damn old since the world is only around "6,000" wink wink. I love hearing about this stuff and I do find it strange and as you said a little foresighted having an archeologist with them. Not sure if that is the norm or if they came across something already and brought him out there. I like learning about our past and finding out about our ancestors.

That was a pretty crappy deal for the soldiers that thought they were getting paid, fighting for nothing. Hmmm....sounds familiar.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   

AlaskanDad
I find it rather reassuring that some countries have the foresight to include archaeologists in their projects.

The United States is one of them. I was on a project in Georgetown, Washington DC where we had a team of archaeologists on hand the entire time any digging was to be done. It depends on the area as Georgetown is considered an historical area.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
The houses resemble the Celtic Castros of Galicia Spain. Not surprising!

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by HandyDandy

Thanks for your reply, living in third world America (an extreme rural area) I had not heard this was the case. But then one of the things I enjoy about ATS is I am always learning new things while I am here. (:

new topics

top topics

join