It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Animals fleeing Yellowstone? Impending EQ or other sign?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 01:24 AM
link   
I searched, and I only found threads about the recent Earthquake in Chile, and EQ swarms in California and Oklahoma. There was a thread about animals fleeing in 2011...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

But this is a new article from April 2, 2014

There did just experience the strongest Yellowstone earthquake in over 30 years when a 4.8 struck on March 30.

One paragraph from the article mentions Helium releases. That is a bit alarming.

Another video uploaded to YouTube, this time by self-described “survivalist” and “search-and-rescue expert” Tom Lupshu, claims, “Biologists aren’t sure if there’s been a stunning decline in the herd or if other factors have skewed the tally.” Lupshu also said that helium releases in the area are 1,000 times above normal levels, and accused the US Geological Survey of not reporting small quakes occurring near the volcano.

rt.com...

I think it is more likely the animals are moving because of the late winter storms, or the earthquakes that have already happened rather than one coming up in the near future, but who knows. Thought I should post it here for discussion anyway.

Adding Youtube video of the Bison running down the road.

edit on 3-4-2014 by 3shadesofblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by 3shadesofblack

That's interesting. Definitely makes me suspicious, because animals like birds and elephants sense things like earthquakes much earlier than us, and tend to move out of the area. If Yellowstone erupts, we're in big trouble

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 01:54 AM
link   
[ since earth scientists first started monitoring some 30 years ago. Though another caldera-forming eruption is theoretically possible, it is very unlikely to occur in the next thousand or even 10,000 years.” ]

that makes me feeling save .. that they after 30 years can make an accurate prediction for the next thousend years.... :-))))))))

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 01:59 AM
link   
I think the video, which you should post on here in your OP, is of buffalo running down the road heading out of Yellowstone. That was a couple of weeks ago, which would have been prior to the 4.8. But, in another story, Yellowstone officials reported that half of the Elk herd is missing from Yellowstone and they don't know where they are. So, you have earthquake swarms, ancient helium releasing, the largest quake in 34 years and also there has been an uplift of the ground of a couple of inches over the past five months and it slid southward nearly an inch as well. Who knows, but officials and the media are downplaying the significance of it all, even as far as saying in one report that Yellowstone may be past its prime and a dying volcano. It takes Russian media and other alternative sources to bring these things to the forefront. I guess it comes down to who do you believe?

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ressiv

Exactly. It is already overdue. Sure, any particular year or even century the probability is low, but it will inevitably happen again, and it has already been longer than expected.

The most concerning sign to me is the uptick in Oklahoma earthquakes. Those have been historically very rare, but in the last few years they are happening more and more frequently. I wonder if they have happened in the distant past during the buildup to Yellowstone?

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

I added the video to the OP.

It is a pretty cool video really! Even if someone doesn't think it is a sign of anything, it is just odd to see so many Bison running down the road ignoring the passing car.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:28 AM
link   

3shadesofblack
reply to post by ressiv

Exactly. It is already overdue. Sure, any particular year or even century the probability is low, but it will inevitably happen again, and it has already been longer than expected.

The most concerning sign to me is the uptick in Oklahoma earthquakes. Those have been historically very rare, but in the last few years they are happening more and more frequently. I wonder if they have happened in the distant past during the buildup to Yellowstone?

sorry to dissapoint you but YS is not overdue for an eruption. three caldrea forming eruptions in the last 2.1 million year divided by three is 700,000 years and the last one was 640,000 years ago. so i quote "SHE IS NOT OVER DUE "

THE ELK and the bison are migtory animals and they always leave the park this time of year to cooler climates .
edit on 3/4/14 by alysha.angel because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:31 AM
link   

3shadesofblack
reply to post by ressiv

I think OK swarms are due to fracking, but still disconcerting just the same because all these things are happening at the same time. OK is too close to the New Madrid, so you gotta worry about it triggering something bigger. Fracking is just plain dumb.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:32 AM
link   

3shadesofblack
reply to post by Rezlooper

It is a pretty cool video really! Even if someone doesn't think it is a sign of anything

My sentiments exactly

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Here we describe a long-term decline in the productivity of elk (Cervus elaphus) that migrate through intact wilderness areas to protected summer ranges inside Yellowstone National Park, USA.

www.esajournals.org...
www.usgs.gov...
looks like there are migratory and resident herds
looks like the migratory are in for the summer and the residents stay in the foot hills all winter

or the past 20 years, the thousands of elk that migrate into Yellowstone National Park each spring have left in the fall with fewer and fewer calves. An analysis of long-term climate data and an intensive three-year study of GPS-collared animals is helping tease out the relative effects of drought, grizzlies and wolves on the elks’ reproductive slump.

Up to 20,000 elk migrate from Yellowstone’s edges and spend the summer in the park, according to the U.S. National Park Service.
www.fondriest.com...
edit on Thuam4b20144America/Chicago34 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

mwaaaa.....statistic spoken.. yes....
but the tendency is shorter interfalls... ( that were created during large eruptions that took place 2.1 million, 1.3 million, and 640,000 years ago. )

shorter times between eruptions can be explaind by already cracked and week bedrock from previous eruptions...

edit on 3-4-2014 by ressiv because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

So, rather than the elk leaving the park at this time, they migrate into the park...same as the buffalo I would imagine if they are looking for cooler climates. Yellowstone would have a cooler climate being higher in elevation. The story i saw said that officials believe half that migration isn't there for the elk. If that's true, makes you wonder then, why haven't they come back into the park this year? Thanks for that post Danbones.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Rezlooper
I think the video, which you should post on here in your OP, is of buffalo running down the road heading out of Yellowstone. That was a couple of weeks ago, which would have been prior to the 4.8. But, in another story, Yellowstone officials reported that half of the Elk herd is missing from Yellowstone and they don't know where they are. So, you have earthquake swarms, ancient helium releasing, the largest quake in 34 years and also there has been an uplift of the ground of a couple of inches over the past five months and it slid southward nearly an inch as well. Who knows, but officials and the media are downplaying the significance of it all, even as far as saying in one report that Yellowstone may be past its prime and a dying volcano. It takes Russian media and other alternative sources to bring these things to the forefront. I guess it comes down to who do you believe?

Now that is not surprising is it? Geology is a dynamic active live & chaotic system....

Now if the news was that there has been no movements from an active geological location... then I would be very worried!!

Peace,

Korg.

edit on 3-4-2014 by Korg Trinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 05:10 AM
link   
I found it interesting that all the buffallo were sticking to the right hand side of the road. Are buffallo left hand drive?

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 05:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Beamish

Just American.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Beamish
I found it interesting that all the buffallo were sticking to the right hand side of the road. Are buffallo left hand drive?

Me too!

Very civilized of them to leave a lane open for the oncoming traffic, LOL!

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Eyes rolling like wheels on a car. Geez the official from Yellowstone said that the herd moves outside the park every year at this time in search of food at the lower levels and that they return every year when spring greens things up again. Why did you feel compelled to put this kind of spin on the subject.? No I don't expect you to answer that.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by 3shadesofblack

Cattle always follow each other in this manner. It keeps the herd together. American bison not buffalo as you guys erroneously call them are still cattle.

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   
The fact that the vid calls them buffalo just proves this is an amateur report.

en.wikipedia.org...

Says commonly known as American buffalo . That's for the amateurs who make this common mistake.

www.mount-rainier-cabins.com...

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by AutumnWitch657

Of course the video is amateur. It is a youtube video taken from a car driving through the park. The article however, is not so amateur, and it correctly calls them bison (even though in the US, the terms are used interchangeably, and even your Wiki link says they are commonly known as "American Buffalo." If that is what they are commonly known as, then it isn't really incorrect to call them by their common name is it?) Also, as the other posters have mentioned. We are in spring now. The bison and other wildlife are supposed to be returning to the park, not leaving. And there are many more sources showing that the numbers of herd data this year are way lower than expected, so they have gone somewhere for some reason.

This isn't spin. I don't know if the EQ is going to happen this century or not, and if we are honest with ourselves, it really doesn't matter, because their isn't a damn thing we can do about it. Even if we thought there was a 50/50 chance, it isn't like we'll be evacuating Denver, KC, and Des Moines or anything.

There are some global things going on right now that are out of the norm. Swarms in Cali, swarms in Oklahoma, swarms near Chile that led to a large EQ there. Probably won't amount to much, but you just never know, and it is always interesting to observe nature and try to draw some theories or conclusions.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join