It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protein May Help People with Celiac Disease

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Doctors have found a protein called Elafin is in the intestine healthy people that one day help to treat celiac. This is exciting news for Celiacs!

Researchers have discovered a key molecule that may someday help treat patients with celiac disease, an immune condition triggered by gluten consumption.
New research from the Farncombe Family Digestive Health Research Institute at McMaster University in Ontario, Canada has found that the molecule elafin is significantly decreased in individuals with celiac disease. Elafin, which is present in the intestine of healthy individuals, serves a “housekeeping” role in the body by lowering the body’s immune response, strengthening and protecting the intestinal lining and limiting the amount of gluten that crosses into the body.

Celiac disease is an autoimmune disorder triggered by gluten, which is found in food containing wheat, rye or barley. For people suffering from celiac disease, gluten peptides induce inflammation in the intestinal lining, leading to symptoms including destruction of the intestinal lining, abdominal pain, changes in bowel habits, malnutrition and anemia.

Additionally, researchers found that the enzyme tissue transglutaminase 2 further increases the inflammatory response of gluten in celiac patients. “In celiacs, [transglutaminase 2] plays an important role because this enzyme can act on those gluten peptides and modify them and make them more avid to interact with immune cells,” Verdu said. “It’s actually increasing the inflammation in celiacs because of this effect.”
The researchers found that elafin interacted with the enzyme’s capability to interact with gluten, reducing the immune response in mice. While this research is still in early discovery phases, Verdu said elafin could someday be used as a supplement for patients with celiac disease, to help them manage their disease more easily. “Perhaps we could strengthen the intestinal lining to prevent [damage] or accelerate healing and make this patient feel better and have a little bit less of the idea that they’re being constantly contaminated by hidden sources of gluten and [therefore] improve their lifestyle,” Verdu said. “It’s not that they’re going to go out and eat gluten, but at least they can heal faster or have less symptoms, despite having a gluten-free diet.”

full article...

Last year I began to have major tummy aches. Without getting too specific..let's just say I missed a lot of work and wished I was dead 1/2 the time. I could not figure out what was wrong with me and I was starting to get a little scared. I have major health issues, Addison's disease, lupus, scleroderma, tricuspid regurgitation, Hashimoto's thyroiditis and avascular necrosis. I was getting concerned it could be a flare up and it got to the point I was unable to hold anything down. I felt like #%@&.

In August 2013 my husband and he took me to the ER. While I was slapping he asked the doctor if I could have celiac. Doc said no, "she doesn't have diarrhea" was his answer even though I had every single other symptom listed for gluten. So he never even took the time to test me even though blood work was ordered.

A few days later I was feeling so sick, called my brother and he took me to the ER. He also asked to the doctor, but my bother is a little more outspoken, and told the doctor he should test me. They never did. "Go home and eat BLAT" they said. So I went home and ate bread.

15 minutes after I ate the bread I became violently ill and we went right back to the ER and they still refused to test me for celiac disease but ran an MRI and X-rays and other blood tests. I went home and went to another doctors office, got the test and finally the diagnosis. My husband, brother and I were right. I have celiac.

So no I can't eat gluten, for the rest of my life. I am ok with it now but there was a period where I felt like I was going through the stages of grief. The though of never eating bread, pizza, cookies having to but all new pots pans, replace my makeup...everything. It was overwhelming. I would rather eat a gluten free pizza then feel like crap.

Hopefully research will lead to a treatment for celiac, how I would love a cheeseburger on a pretzel bun
or at least have a medication for getting "glutened" accidentally. Passing along the information

edit on 2-4-2014 by Jennyfrenzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I know how devastating misdiagnosing Celiac disease can be, my aunt went through something similar to what you went through. She lost weight, was skin and bones, couldn't work, couldn't move and doctors were looking for cancer...somewhere....they had no idea what was wrong with her. Finally (about two years since she became ill) they tested her for a gluten intolerance and it was confirmed she was a Celiac. Now, with her special diet, she has put on weight and she is the woman she used to be (full of energy and bossy! lol).

I hope this protein can work on humans as it's working on mice. Will Elafin replace a gluten free diet or simply supplement it?

For you and other people like my aunt, I really wish they can find a cure, as Celiac can make people feel isolated, because everything is made with gluten!!

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Agartha

I am glad to hear she was able to figure it out, there was a period where I was thinking cancer too. Wishing her the best

It seems like it will be a supplement for getting "glutened." It can be so difficult, not only do you have to watch out for gluten but also cross contamination. Unfortunately, not a magic pill allowing Celiacs to race out and stuff ourselves with all the yummy gluteny food we have been craving

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   
It sounds like a product called glutenease. When I get accidentally glutened I take that and it helps my symptoms dramatically.

Getting someone to test you for celiacs is like pulling teeth. It took me 10 years to get a diagnosis. It wasn't until they started testing me for vitamin deficiencies and the tests came back dangerously low on most that they reluctantly agreed. Dr.s can't prescribe a pill for it so they hate to diagnosis it.

It is very isolating. Most social events revolve around food. Not to mention I have an over protective hubby who doesn't like me to even walk down the baking isle in the grocery store due to flour in the air from poorly packaged bags of flour, so it gets in the air and settles on other products that I might touch.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

I have seen that supplement and wondered if it worked, thank you! I'm off to buy it now.

Your husband sounds pretty darn awesome! My husband is the one who came up with the idea it could be Celiac. He knows someone who has it and all their symptoms were dead on with what was happening to me. He saved me

top topics

join