It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Has a Sycophant Problem

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 05:24 AM
link   

ATS Has a Sycophant Problem

It is no lie - Above Top Secret has a sycophant problem. But what is a sycophant, you ask?

A person who acts obsequiously towards someone important in order to gain advantage.

www.oxforddictionaries.com...

In other words:

A servile self-seeker who attempts to win favor by flattering influential people.

www.thefreedictionary.com...

Sycophants are becoming an increasing problem on ATS. Occasionally, you will see sycophants rallying behind a lot of the influential members...i don't need to name names, as i am sure a lot of you see it happen.

Now here, i am not trying to belittle the larger members, as some of them have rightfully earnt their stripes. But when you see a lot of members belittling others just because they disagree with an opinion of an influential member, it just makes me think 'WTF'?

While a lot of these members may agree with the influential poster, it doesn't give them a reason to 'win favours' or to 'flatter the influential' poster by bowing down to them, while slinging shots at others. It is disgusting behaviour...behaviour of which i see is increasingly prevalent on ATS.

This isn't so much of a rant, as it is an observation. I just wish we could all stop slinging shots at each other...and stop bowing down to a lot of those who have been here longer.

Daas.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

Yes, there appears to be cronies. But I'll be honest, Sometimes I myself need to take a step back and realize that sometimes my replies are inherently biased.
And of course there are members I like more than others. But it's interesting, as the ones I argue with are the ones I respect the most, otherwise I'd ignore them.
I've read your comments for quite awhile, Daas, and I appreciate you. I may feel slightly more inclined to see things your way than someone I don't necessarily like. I think it boils down to simple human nature, honestly. Anyways, cheers.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   

JohnTheSmith

Yes, there appears to be cronies. But I'll be honest, Sometimes I myself need to take a step back and realize that sometimes my replies are inherently biased.
And of course there are members I like more than others. But it's interesting, as the ones I argue with are the ones I respect the most, otherwise I'd ignore them.
I've read your comments for quite awhile, Daas, and I appreciate you. I may feel slightly more inclined to see things your way than someone I don't necessarily like. I think it boils down to simple human nature, honestly. Anyways, cheers.

I agree.

I agree that we all have inherently biased opinions, and what you say about getting along with some more than others is especially true. It is a social site after all.

I think it just gets to a point where people should stop and think what it is they are just about to do, before going along and acting in accordance with what they believe in/who they agree with.

Thanks for the kind words. I extend the same to you.

Daas.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 05:38 AM
link   
I wholeheartedly agree. I suppose there are some that simply need such individuals in their digital ego life.

I actually find it somewhat funny.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 05:39 AM
link   

Agree.

There are certain members. They can post complete crap or barely anything at all and they get 1 million+ stars.

I also see mod bias too. They can be rude and scathing but dare do anything back and you get T&C infraction. Not all mods mind you, but certain ones.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 05:39 AM
link   
That's gutsy to call people psychopaths!..... I admire that-.... and no ....I'm not rallying behind you, as I'm sure down the road you and I will have our diagreement on an issue or topic. I haven't been here as long as others, but I have noticed there is a pattern with some members Specifically targeting other members because of where they are from.....I used to look at them as a bully. But now I will look at them as a psychopath! ...I don't know which one is better? Lol..

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 05:42 AM
link   

daaskapital
Now here, i am not trying to belittle the larger members, as some of them have rightfully earnt their stripes. But when you see a lot of members belittling others just because they disagree with an opinion of an influential member, it just makes me think 'WTF'?

"larger", "influential"...you're doing it too. Stop it!

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Goteborg

daaskapital

"larger", "influential"...you're doing it too. Stop it!

Haha, well that's what they are - members who have been here longer and who have more disciples...larger, influential, it really doesn't matter what we call them...

The point is, the sycophants who rally behind them should stop and think what they are doing. The behaviour isn't particularly pleasing (well, to me anyway), lol.

edit on 2-4-2014 by daaskapital because: sp

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 05:50 AM
link   
In a lot of cases the flag/star system is used as the "i like" on Facebook, it kind of ruin the purpose of the system, well, at least for the flag system.

It's kind of imposible to do anything about unless you change the whole system.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 05:51 AM
link   

I agree.

Well said.

Need a back rub?
Coffee?
Tea?

You look great by the way!

New shoes?

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

I thought that was the whole purpose of flags and stars?

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Mianeye
In a lot of cases the flag/star system is used as the "i like" on Facebook, it kind of ruin the purpose of the system, well, at least for the flag system.

It's kind of imposible to do anything about unless you change the whole system.

I do agree, but i see these actions happen in actual posts as well. For example, i will see specific members posting memes, comments and whatever else, aimed at others, only to belittle them due to their disagreement with a larger member...

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 05:58 AM
link   

AlphaHawk

I agree.

Well said.

Need a back rub?
Coffee?
Tea?

You look great by the way!

New shoes?

Hahahaha, that's a classic

Thanks for bringing humour to the table.

Edit - I will add that i do think it is a serious issue though, and one which probably needs to be looked at more carefully. Members are treading on the verges of bullying others, just because of their beliefs or the beliefs of those of whom they idolise.

Daas.
edit on 2-4-2014 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 05:59 AM
link   

AlphaHawk
reply to post by Mianeye

I thought that was the whole purpose of flags and stars?

In my opinion not, i agree that the stars are a "i like" system, but the flags are not a reward, it's a notification for users to be aware of "this thread" cause it's important.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 06:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Mianeye

If you want to to rake up stars and flags just post a Obama sucks thread

Ok yeah he does suck but still

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 06:06 AM
link   
I see it too, on occasion. But the OP's message can also be summed up as:

"Those that agree with me are right, and validate my opinion,"

BUT:

"...those people that mass in opinion against me are part of a conspiracy, cabal or clique that must be addressed. That must be stopped."

In essence that if a group of people don't agree with you, it is because of nefarious association and not on merit. But if they do agree with you, it is because you are brilliant and insightful.

A board this large and this old is bound to have people who share the same opinion on some topics and given the opportunity gravitate together Just like any community of "real" people. The more interesting threads however are full of differing opinions.

RESPECTFUL differing opinions.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Influential members you say... influential where exactly?

I always assumed that seen from the "real world"-POV we all look like nutters, all the same, regardless of what kind of CT you're into, be it political/economical CTs or the spacepeople/religious/bigfoot stuff...

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Leonidas
I see it too, on occasion. But the OP's message can also be summed up as:

"Those that agree with me are right, and validate my opinion,"

BUT:

"...those people that mass in opinion against me are part of a conspiracy, cabal or clique that must be addressed. That must be stopped."

In essence that if a group of people don't agree with you, it is because of nefarious association and not on merit. But if they do agree with you, it is because you are brilliant and insightful.

A board this large and this old is bound to have people who share the same opinion on some topics and given the opportunity gravitate together Just like any community of "real" people. The more interesting threads however are full of differing opinions.

RESPECTFUL differing opinions.

I definitely do not view it as such. I have seen these things happen in threads with topics of which i have no opinion on. I see it happen to other members...and it isn't particularly nice...

While there are definitely instances of members agreeing with each other, i am talking about the incidents where members actually go out of their way to please another on this site...like either post something empowering about them, or post something derogatory to another member all because they disagree with the sentiments of a member they like...

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 06:16 AM
link   

What's your solution?

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 06:19 AM
link   

beezzer

What's your solution?

If only i had one, Sheriff Beezzer. lol.

I don't know. What's yours? Lol.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join