It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ukraine agrees to host NATO war games

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Ukraine's parliament on Tuesday approved a series of joint military exercises with NATO countries that would put US troops in direct proximity to Russian forces in the annexed Crimea peninsula.

"This is a good opportunity to develop our armed forces," acting defense minister Mykhailo Koval told Verkhovna Rada lawmakers ahead of the 235-0 vote.

The decision came as NATO foreign ministers gathered in Brussels for a two-day meeting dominated by concern over the recent buildup of Russian forces near Crimea that US officials estimate had at one point reached about 40,000 troops.

Ukraine agrees to host NATO war games

Not sure if april fools or world war 3?

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by MrMaybeNot

Paranoid Western leaders.. Crimea voted to return to Russia and that's where it should end. Maybe the Russians were just waiting for crap like this to happen so they are not caught off guard.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Please god this is an April fools, because if they are actually that stupid as to do this when things have calmed down to some degree they would want to be hanged drawn and quartered, every single last one of them.
edit on 1-4-2014 by sosobad because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by sosobad

I'm pretty convinced it is a joke, but these days who knows.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Gotta be a joke, and a poor one at that.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
The date on the article is April 4th, 2014.

This gotta be a joke.. al thou it shouldn't surprise me if it isn't

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

More links, looking like a bit of truth to it.

www.smh.com.au...

timesofindia.indiatimes.com...

www.i24news.tv...

www.reddit.com...
edit on 1-4-2014 by sosobad because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

kloejen

Not sure, I see April 1st 2014 here... Top of article, slightly to the right.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   

kloejen

Not a joke, I've seen it all over twitter today from various sources. Here's one I just found rather quickly.

Livemint

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   

I personally don't see why it has to mean WWIII unless Putin wants to take it that way. Ukraine is allowed to conduct war games within it's borders with whomever it wants, after all Russia has been conducting them with some 40k+ troops right on Ukraines borders for several weeks now. We won't even get into the Crimea discussion.. Tit for tat.
edit on 1-4-2014 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   
How provocative is this ? This is the U.S / N.A.T.O's idea of peace talks and diplomacy ? Man, anything that happens to them from here on in is their own dam fault.April fool's ? Nobody could truely be that stupid.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Wookiep

I personally don't see why it has to mean WWIII unless Putin wants to take it that way. Ukraine is allowed to conduct war games within it's borders with whomever it wants, after all Russia has been conducting them with some 40k+ troops right on Ukraines borders. Tit for tat.

The problem is that Ukraine isn't a member of NATO. Also they did use "drills" in the past as cover ups for real operations.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   

And what about Russia's "drills"? You don't think Ukraine is nervous about being obliterated as a nation after Crimea and all the "drills" being done on their borders by Russia? Poland is pretty nervous as well, they will be a big presence in these operations.
edit on 1-4-2014 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
See for yourselves and draw your own conclusions.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
If true, (and apparently there are several sources).....then this makes the dumbest move yet..........
Theres no hope of getting The crimea back without a fight....so they obviously are being sent to make sure Russia don't get no mo breakaway states by subterfuge.....
Russia may just respond in kind and sooner or later somebody will flinch and that's all she wrote....

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   

I'm with you, its most probable.

Consider events from the Georgia incident, onto todays information.
That whole region has been buzzing with activity since before 2008.
Remember the USofA had military advisors in country when the Soviets invaded Georgia.

Something bigger is being worked behind the scenes for sure I my opinion.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

no way, this is the best april fool post i've read yet

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Dear god I hope all those sources are wrong or just pulling one off on us. To all those who think this would not escalate things further, you are absolutely dreaming. This is insanity at it's finest if true.

Just last week I was told by a friend in the military who told me they were sending US troops into the Ukraine. They are not high up or anything, and do not know the details. This person simply told me it as a fact they have personally seen paperwork describing sending US forces to the Ukraine. I really didnt believe em.

Could it be? O.o

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Uks has every right to hold military exercises with anyone they want.

However, they can be much better off without them, given current geopolitical situation.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   

DarknStormy

Paranoid Western leaders.. Crimea voted to return to Russia and that's where it should end. Maybe the Russians were just waiting for crap like this to happen so they are not caught off guard.

Exactly at what point did you / anyone else decide Ukraine, being a sovereign nation, can't act in their own best interest.

Russia invaded Ukraine. Ukraine can host whatever nation it wants inside its territory and trying to argue the contrary just undermines Russia's position even more.

What Ukraine does inside its own borders is no one else's business, including Russia's.

13th Zodiac
How provocative is this ? This is the U.S / N.A.T.O's idea of peace talks and diplomacy ? Man, anything that happens to them from here on in is their own dam fault.April fool's ? Nobody could truely be that stupid.

No, it would be the response to 40-80k Russian troops arrayed along Ukraines border.

Exactly where does that fit in with your provocation scale?
edit on 1-4-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join