It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cosmos and the religious backlash against it.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I'm watching episode 1, and they do spend a lot of time demonizing the Roman church.
The thing is (if you study the actual history) these astronomers would have been OK if they would have just published their thesis.
What they did do was use antithesis to actually attack the church, so they pretty much brought it on themselves.
Of course the church never should have been given such authority, but it is the legacy of Roman culture, and has nothing to do with Christianity in particular.
edit on 2-4-2014 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I've noticed that over the last decade in particular, there has been a growing movement among US Christians to deny science of all types that could possibly come into conflict with the Biblical creation story. They do of course embrace those parts of science that is beneficial to them personally. It's very problematic (or it will be) & imo it actually makes religious folk look all the more ridiculous, especially when we look back in history to find many of the great scientist to be men (& women) of faith. Unless this trend is halted &/or reversed the future is surely bleak for America.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by bismarket

You may want to take care of your own little corner of the world before you start worrying about someone else's:

ncse.com...

According to a 2002 poll of adult Europeans conducted by a professional institute (IHA-GfK, Hergiswil, Switzerland), only 40% of the respondents agreed with the statement that the universe, the earth, and all organisms of the biosphere are entirely the product of a natural evolutionary process

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Goteborg

Dude a 2002 poll... Lol you know how many people have swapped to agnostic/atheist in the last dozen years.... Prob like 10 or 15% of the population...

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 08:17 AM
link   

ArtemisE

Dude a 2002 poll... Lol you know how many people have swapped to agnostic/atheist in the last dozen years.... Prob like 10 or 15% of the population...

Since the person I was responding to is from the UK here's something a little more recent since you seem to think 2002 is ancient history.

www.theguardian.com...

More than half of British adults think that intelligent design and creationism should be taught alongside evolution in school science lessons – a proportion higher than in the US.

Now I suppose you're going to say that 4 1/2 years ago is ancient history?

As for your "10 or 15% of the population" comment...that still leaves a statistically significant number of European adults believing in something in addition to evolution at work here and...prove it. I've now put up results from two polls and since I've seen the Google search results I can state with certainty that I can post far, far more than two if I want. Before I do that I would like to see you post at least one.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to [url= by Goteborg[/url]

Most Britons Reject Creationism

According to the survey, most people in the UK reject ideas like creationism and intelligent design, with 83 percent rejecting the former and 89 percent the latter.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Prezbo369
reply to [url= by Goteborg[/url]

Most Britons Reject Creationism

According to the survey, most people in the UK reject ideas like creationism and intelligent design, with 83 percent rejecting the former and 89 percent the latter.

Thanks for posting that, I got a good laugh out of it. From your link:

Notably, the survey showed that nearly half the population believe that Christianity and evolution do not clash.

Almost half of those questioned said that the theory of evolution challenged Christianity, but said it was possible to believe in both

There are a lot of real gems in the article but I'm not going to bother quoting them here, I highly encourage everyone to read the linked article, pay attention to the URL, and then decide if there is a joke being played here.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   

*sigh*

I see honesty and rationality win again......

edit on 4-4-2014 by Prezbo369 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by bismarket

I've noticed that over the last decade in particular, there has been a growing movement among US Christians to deny science of all types that could possibly come into conflict with the Biblical creation story.

Yes, and the scariest part of all is that they run for high offices; the New Apostolic Reformation and the Seven Mountain Dominionists scare the bejeebers out of me.

Excellent post, and thank you. You are absolutely correct.
And it is ridiculous. Quite.

posted on Apr, 4 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
What did I just see, I dont even....

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Since evolution is proven to believe you have to believe it all matches up. Lol

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   

The equivalent of saying "milk spoils due to the proliferation of microbes, but evil fairies have to put the microbes in the milk first!"

Diluted superstition is still superstition.

posted on Apr, 5 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Heard!

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

Fr. Robert Barron has some great insights into Cosmos. Seth MacFarland (not sure if I'm spelling it right) is mentioned, as is that animated clip.

Essentially, he aligns with the opinion that the Catholic Church has never been against science, and in fact, had it not been for people educated in Catholic institutions, or the contributions by Catholic scientists, we wouldn't have modern science as we know it.

The clip is less than 10 minutes long, so it shouldn't take up too much of your time.

posted on Apr, 8 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by IsidoreOfSeville

So are you saying the Catholic Church was a major contributor, a minor player, or a driving force in the development of science over the centuries?

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Hmmm.. I would say major player... indirectly. Could be arguable that they were a driving force though I would say.

posted on Apr, 16 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   

IsidoreOfSeville

Hmmm.. I would say major player... indirectly. Could be arguable that they were a driving force though I would say.

just like racism was a major player in the abolition of slavery, right?

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
a reply to: AfterInfinity

Not sure what you're getting at....

posted on Apr, 17 2014 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by IsidoreOfSeville
a reply to: AfterInfinity

Not sure what you're getting at....

There is a fine line between generating the need for a solution and contributing to that solution.

posted on Apr, 18 2014 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Hey they got their own show. It is a bit short as there isn't much to explain.

Creationist Cosmos

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join