It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

aspartame amd it's medical use?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Well, I was enjoying this beverage

I no longer enjoy it

Made from the best stuff on earth my ###!!!
edit on 31-3-2014 by andr3w68 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   

conz1992

'olanzapine 10mg orodispersable tablets'

Could someone enlighten me why they would need this apparent bad thing in medication?

Thanks

Your explanation is here on Youtube:

The issue is that you're talking about an orally dissolving tablet. Olanzapine will taste nasty in an oral tablet. So they cover up the flavor with a #-load of aspartame. They can't use sugar - you can give olanzapine to diabetics. So, aspartame.

It's the same with any oral dissolving tablet, say Zofran ODT for example.
edit on 1-4-2014 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Snarl
reply to post by cosmicexplorer

This is what scares me about this poison: to my knowledge, there is no rule saying a soda has to be labeled as a diet or a regular drink. I can barely taste the difference between them, so what happens when 'regular' is no longer a choice?

At that point mabye stop drinking soda and switch to 2nd ferment kombucha which is carbonated, yet good for you.

Or start juicing fruits and vegetables which is seriously healthy.

We dont need soda, or any other similar junk....

edit on 1-4-2014 by GoShredAK because: Oops

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 01:26 AM
link   
i use to drink 1 1/2 cases of diet red bull a week for 3 yrs.

and there is nothing wrong wit me, wit me, with with with with me. blurp

lol, seriously, probably 2 cases. i bought wholesale.

haven't had one in another 3 yrs.

i don't do diet or even regular or any soft drinks. just gatorade or beer or tea.

edit on 3058414130am2014 by tsingtao because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 01:38 AM
link   

brazenalderpadrescorpio
reply to post by diggindirt

I've never had any ill effects from aspartame. You're most likely allergic to it.

No kidding---and back in that time, shortly after it was introduced, the docs at the ER obviously didn't know about the side-effects since they thought I was having some sort of neurological "event" from my symptoms. Apparently a goodly number of them still don't have a clue because I've heard of many others who have similar reactions and have to figure it out on their own. At least these days they can do a bit of research on the net and get some information. My reaction was before there was an internet.
Because all bodies are different, each body will have a different reaction to the substance. I was able to take penicillin when needed for many years, then, suddenly, upon taking a single pill, I had a horrific reaction to it. Go figure.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 01:46 AM
link   

I've recently known a lot of people that are allergic to a lot of things. I guess you're one of the lucky ones. Lol! Just kidding.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 04:03 AM
link   
They changed the name from NutraSweet to Aspartame because of the bad rep NutraSweet was getting so I'm not surprised they're planning on changing again , I thought it was Neotame but apparently it is AminoSweet.

Donald Rumsfeld is involved with the company and we all know how trustworthy he is so I'm sure there's nothing to worry about.

edit on 1-4-2014 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Rabbithole goes much deeper. Not only is Aspartame a neurotoxin that causes cancer and a variety of other side effects, but according to the patent, it's essentially made from the feces of E.Coli bacteria.

Read for yourself

So yeah, if anyone doesn't think serving people genetically modified E.Coli bacteria waste is DESIGNED to harm people... LOL.

Avoid this poison at all costs. And help spread the word to others. I wouldn't serve this toxic waste to my worst enemy, let alone my family and friends.
edit on 1-4-2014 by JonButtonIII because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   

gortex
They changed the name from NutraSweet to Aspartame because of the bad rep NutraSweet was getting so I'm not surprised they're planning on changing again , I thought it was Neotame but apparently it is AminoSweet.

Donald Rumsfeld is involved with the company and we all know how trustworthy he is so I'm sure there's nothing to worry about.

edit on 1-4-2014 by gortex because: (no reason given)

System Of A Down freakin rules!

thanks for posting that.

Man those guys were awake before being awake was cool.

I love SOAD!

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I've heard this stuff about Aspartame before.

I'll tell you what it is - Phenylalanine.

Some people can't metabolise Phenylalanine, and Aspartame is one source of that (being one of the by-products).

But if you're not one of those people - and that would be the majority of us - there is no cause for concern.

It's an artificial sweetner, that's all.

If you feel happier, take sugar instead.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I'm a pharmacist

Bedlam has it correct. The tablet is an oro-dispersable tablet which means you dissolve it directly in the mouth. This is either for patients who might struggle to take medication or for drugs which you want to work fast since it is absorbed (usually) quicker.

Since it dissolves in the mouth then you will need some kind of sweetener to make it more palatable - I cannot imagine the drug on it's own would taste too good. Using sucrose is not ideal because as mentioned it can have effects if used in diabetic patients and also I am sure that if tablets were full of sucrose then their expiry date would be vastly shortened due to the fact that it would provide an ideal breeding ground for bacteria etc

So nothing sinister here I'm afraid.

posted on Apr, 1 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   

CJCrawley
I've heard this stuff about Aspartame before.

I'll tell you what it is - Phenylalanine.

Some people can't metabolise Phenylalanine, and Aspartame is one source of that (being one of the by-products).

But if you're not one of those people - and that would be the majority of us - there is no cause for concern.

It's an artificial sweetner, that's all.

If you feel happier, take sugar instead.

Yeah right dude,
even if you're unable to metabolize this poison it's still horrible for you.

Artificial sweeteners are BS.

Sucralose is another one of them,

www.medicalnewstoday.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

Just a quick google search will provide plenty of backup on that.

And ya, sugar is freaking bad too! Natural sugar from fresh fruit is ok in moderation.

It's insane how careless people are about what they put into they're bodies.

This is where a lot of disease comes from. Get it together people.

edit on 2-4-2014 by GoShredAK because: Adding link

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by GoShredAK

Fine, let's see the evidence (not just one study on mice) and feel free to update the wiki page, which appears to contradict you.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by CJCrawley

I'll give it a shot, here's some pretty good info concerning sucralose(Splenda)....

articles.mercola.com... s.aspx

Story at-a-glance + James Turner, the chairman of the national consumer education group Citizens for Health, has expressed shock and outrage after reading a new report from scientists outlining the dangers of the artificial sweetener Splenda (sucralose). In animals examined for the study, Sucralose (Splenda) reduced the amount of good bacteria in the intestines by 50 percent, increased the pH level in the intestines, contributed to increases in body weight and affected P-glycoprotein (P-gp) levels in such a way that crucial health-related drugs could be rejected. The P-gp effect could result in medications used in chemotherapy, AIDS treatment, and treatments for heart conditions being shunted back into the intestines, rather than being absorbed by the body. According to Turner, "The report makes it clear that the artificial sweetener Splenda and its key component sucralose pose a threat to the people who consume the product. Hundreds of consumers have complained to us about side effects from using Splenda and this study... confirms that the chemicals in the little yellow package should carry a big red warning label."

Here's some more goods,

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

The only reason I see that my Wikipedia link was contradictory to what I'm trying to say is that the FDA deems it safe for consumption.

Now if I believed everything the FDA says I am positive I would be in a much different state of health, and for the negative..

edit on 2-4-2014 by GoShredAK because: Still working

edit on 2-4-2014 by GoShredAK because: Edit

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Top Medications Containing Aspartamel

Lots of drugs contain aspartame.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Check out the talk page for the "Aspartame controversy" page on Wikipedia. I haven't opened any of them, but there are 10 archived talk pages so I'll bet there's some juicy stuff in there (it won't link but go to the main article and then to the discussion page).

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 2-4-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   

brazenalderpadrescorpio

I've never had any ill effects from aspartame. You're most likely allergic to it.

Same here. I find it hard to believe all of ATS drinks nothing but reverse osmosis water and grows all their own non-GMO foods.

Sorry, I'm in a grouchy mood. LOL.

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
let's also not forget that Aspartame is in almost ALL chewing gum, most likely because the sweetness hovers for awhile and makes the user think it's got "long-lasting flavor".
I've educated my children (adults now) on this crap and they know to check labels on anything they would casually buy, like gum or drinks

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Aleister

Check out the talk page for the "Aspartame controversy" page on Wikipedia. I haven't opened any of them, but there are 10 archived talk pages so I'll bet there's some juicy stuff in there (it won't link but go to the main article and then to the discussion page).

en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 2-4-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

Thanks! I did check out some of the talk pages. I eventually ended up on the aspartame health effects page

en.wikipedia.org...

In 1985, Monsanto Company bought G.D. Searle, and the aspartame business became a separate Monsanto subsidiary, the NutraSweet Company. In March 2000, Monsanto sold it to J.W. Childs Equity Partners II L.P.[68] European use patents on aspartame expired starting in 1987,[69] and the U.S. patent expired in 1992. Since then, the company has competed for market share with other manufacturers, including Ajinomoto, Merisant and the Holland Sweetener Company.

That's all I need to know. They try and say this stuff is safe, and people try and justify, but it is all fake, Ill informed, disinformation, BS.

"as long as you only consume this much within a lifetime there is no cause for concern, and there's no connection to cancer and blah blah blah........"

Meanwhile the gullible consumer is slowly deteriorating and will eventually become a slave to big pharma, feeding the machine.

It's safe to eat though

My message to the people is I know organic and non GMO food is expensive and mabye not always tasty, but I think diseases and medications are actually kind of a hindrance as well.

edit on 2-4-2014 by GoShredAK because: Adding link

edit on 2-4-2014 by GoShredAK because: Edit

posted on Apr, 2 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Hey sorry for not replying, didn't think this would actually get any interest, but thanks to all for sharing what you know! Glad to hear things from both sides of the field, saw the post by a pharmacist to say there's nothing sinister as it's used as a sweetner, but then by many other people who agree that it's a bad thing etc.

Had a look round the pharmacy today to see what else have it, seemingly it's common in dispersible/orodispersable medicines as well as powders to thicken food such as 'thixo-d', but also its in a product called fybogel which I can only assume has a laxative effect.

I knew it wasn't a sinister thing, was just interested to see why it's being used if it has such a bad reputation etc. And to confirm - drugs do taste horrible without its sweetner compounds, next time you have to take a codeine tablet hold it in your mouth and then you'll see why! Thanks for your replies!

edit on 2/4/2014 by conz1992 because: .

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join