It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Autism Rates Jump 30% From 2012

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 04:46 AM
link   
I think this is a serious issue that needs the attention of every resource we can apply to it. The latest results released by the CDC are very disconcerting.
U.S. Autism Rates Jump 30% From 2012

One in 68 eight-year-olds in the U.S. is now affected by autism spectrum disorder, according to the latest figures from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). The data come from the Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring (ADDM) Network, which has tracked the developmental disorder periodically since 2000.

What causes it?
There are no shortage of suspected culprits.
Pesticides
Exposure to lead
Vaccines
Any number of other chemicals and toxins.

There really is no smoking gun right now. I think it may be a combination of all of the above. Decades worth of thousands of nuclear weapons tests probably has played some role as well.

Are we overreacting or just slapping everything with the autism label?

Maybe a little, to a point. Autism presents itself to varying degrees, I have no doubt that some cases are mis or over-diagnosed. But based solely on personal observation, I have noticed many more autistic individuals over the passed ten years or so. Especially in the military community among new families. Not just autism either. Though I haven't been able to find any data on increased rates of special needs children specifically among military families.

While definitions of autism have changed slightly during that time, experts attribute most of the increase to greater awareness of the developmental disorder among parents, teachers, and doctors. At home, parents are more attuned to signs that their child may not be communicating properly or acquiring the social skills needed to interact with siblings, family and friends. Teachers are also trained to recognize behavioral symptoms in the classroom, and doctors are more comfortable asking about and diagnosing autism disorders by symptoms that usually start appearing around age two.

This is not just an problem for the US either. And how many other countries lack the infrastructure and medical services to identify and support the issue?
Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report (MMWR)

The global prevalence of the disorder has increased between 20 and 30 times since the late 1960s and early 1970s, CDC researchers wrote in the new report, published March 27 in the CDC's journal, Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.

This is getting downright scary

In 2007, CDC's ADDM Network first reported that about 1 in 150 children had ASD (based on 2002 data from 14 communities). Then, in 2009, the ADDM Network reported that 1 in 110 children had ASD (based on 2006 data from 11 communities). And, in 2012, the ADDM Network reported that 1 in 88 children had ASD (based on 2008 data from 14 communities). This means that the estimated prevalence of ASD has increased roughly 29% since 2008, 64% since 2006, and 123% since 2002.

Autism and Developmental Disabilities Monitoring (ADDM) Network

So what can be done?
Where do we go from here?
How large of an impact does this have 10 20 30 years in the future?

I don't know.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 04:56 AM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

Nope, not vaccines. That has been proven by all scientific standards. Which brought you this wonderful piece of internet, btw.. But hey, it's a free world, ain't it? Believe what you want. But vaccines didn't do it.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ManFromEurope

I said vaccines are a suspected culprit, which they are.

Are they the sole cause? likely not.
Did I say they were? No
Have they caused countless other terrible side effects? Yes

Can you link a source to your absolute scientifically tested proof?

But I digress, this thread isn't about vaccines.

edit on 30-3-2014 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 05:15 AM
link   
This is more to do with the medical profession (including the pseudo scientists and "clinicians") who like to categorise people. I have a niece who is perfectly normal, intelligent and coherent, but her mum has been persuaded by some loon with a "qualification" that she's autistic.

These people live on the gullibility of others, just like the anti-vaccine crowd.

Regards

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Only those who seek to deny the possibility that vaccines are a contributing factor can claim such a thing with such certainty. Either that or one has vested interest....

To have jumped on vaccines and not spoke on anything else listed in the OP as "contributing factors"......speaks volumes to me.

Now, watch this thread turn into a discussion about vaccines....seems the deniers love to derail.

I agree with the OP....I believe that MANY contributing factors must be looked at. There isn't a be all end all answer. There is no end all be all cause either, imho.
I do not know....I used to solely blame vaccines in my naivety. Years later and more researched...my conclusion? I don't know.
It is really scary to think about how much higher autism rates could climb....are we going to see 1 in 10 inside the autism spectrum in the next 20 years or so? That is downright disturbing to think about!

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 05:49 AM
link   
autism has been linked to a myriad of different toxins and there is also a genetic role.

it is an incredibly complex disorder that affects the whole brain. we only have theories on the causes of it's symptoms, no real overarching theory.

i think we will see the rates increase until we start seriously cutting down on toxin use. it is not fun to live with.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Vaccinatioms.....are they what they say they are.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I for one certainly have no answers...The two people I know who have children swear it was the shots... Normal babies who got their shots at 6 months and were never normal again... One is now 16 and has to stay in a home ($600 a day) because she has become violent and wants to fight or run away.. Of course they are just parents what do they know ?

With the autism rates that are being declared it will be a different world in the next 10 to 20 years, that is for sure !

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 06:05 AM
link   

watchitburn

I said vaccines are a suspected culprit, which they are.

Only in the minds of the scientifically illiterate and willfully ignorant.

Have they caused countless other terrible side effects? Yes

"Countless"? Really? Vaccines, like any medicine, can have adverse side effects but they are in the region of 1 in a few million.

Can you link a source to your absolute scientifically tested proof?

There's been many studies performed and every one has found no link between vaccines and autism. What exactly could constitute "absolute scientifically tested proof"? Nothing in science is absolute, it would seem that your burden of proof is unrealistically high. Do you hold the supposed evidence of vaccines causing autism to the same standards?

But I digress, this thread isn't about vaccines.

Then why mention them in your opening post?
edit on 30-3-2014 by GetHyped because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 06:56 AM
link   
You know I do not know anyone with this disorder in my family. My friends are all trendy and don't want to have kids so I don't know anyone else with an autistic kid. Not saying this article isn't true I just don't know anyone with this and I have a large circle of friends and family. It does say in an article attached to yours that the genes that can make some susceptible to this are expressed in the 2nd trimester. That leads me to believe that not everyone can get this and it is based on genetics.

So if you have certain genes you can get it. All I have to say is if its coming out at age two that's about the time you've been hit by about 20 vaccines. When I was in school I think we had about 3 to 5 vaccines total. No one around me in school had this. No one I grew up around had this. The only thing that has increased in pollution, GMO, and vaccines. Please tell me if there is something else? I have seen videos on Youtube of the devastation these vaccines cause to nerve cells in the brain tissue.

So there is scientific fact to back up vaccines as being a culprit. How about GMO? Do we have any studies showing it to mess with the brain? I know a lot of studies were done on rats. What pollution could be causing this that a child between 1 months and 2 years could intake? Tap water?

edit on 30-3-2014 by Pimpintology because: of fluoride!

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 07:01 AM
link   
FWIW

Scientists found differences in the brain structures of kids with autism compared to kids who don't have autism. Those specific structures form during the second trimester of pregnancy, suggesting that autism is something that is present long before birth.

boingboing.net...

I just heard this for the first time a few days ago. With all due respect to the anecdotes, this makes it seem kind of silly to blame vaccines.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Pimpintology

So if you have certain genes you can get it. All I have to say is if its coming out at age two that's about the time you've been hit by about 50 vaccines. When I was in school I think we had about 6 to 9 vaccines total.

According to the NHS website, the childhood vaccine schedule is 8 to 9 vaccines. Don't know where you're getting this 50 figure from.

The only thing that has increased in pollution, GMO, and vaccines. Please tell me if there is something else?

Really? The only things that have increased are pollution, GMO and vaccines? This is silly. It also completely ignores the fact that the diagnosis criteria for autism has been further refined and widened.

I have seen videos on Youtube of the devastation these vaccines cause to nerve cells in the brain tissue.

I've seen videos of bigfoot on youtube. I would advise against getting your scientific information from youtube.

So there is scientific fact to back up vaccines as being a culprit.

No, there isn't. Quite the opposite. Every vaccine study has show vaccines to not contribute in any way to autism rates.

How about GMO? Do we have any studies showing it to mess with the brain? I know a lot of studies were done on rats. What pollution could be causing this that a child between 1 months and 2 years could intake? Tap water?

That GMO-tumor study was debunked by the scientific community quite thoroughly shortly after it was published.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 07:11 AM
link   
This thread is not about vaccines

It's about significantly increasing rates of autism. Please stay on topic.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   
While I think a lot of introvert/super shy kids are being swept up into these numbers (ergo, misdiagnosed) I can't help but wonder if anyone's studied the epigenetic end yet. If what your grandparents went through could change their genes and thus have an impact on you decades later, why is autism having roots in past gene changes so out of the question? I'm not doubting that some of the manmade things of our modern life have a big influence on our autism rates, but what if it was something as simple as a tainted foodstock from 60 years ago that triggered a gene change that became more pronounced over generations?

Anyone? Bueller?

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 07:19 AM
link   
There's nothing else to talk about except causes. That IS on topic. I mentioned 3 I'm going to mention a fourth. One thing about the vaccines is we didn't get a Chickenpox vaccine when I was a kid we got Chickenpox specifically. Just throwing that out there. I found a new study that ties vitamin deficiencies to Autism as well. Kind of makes sense. We harvest food and only spray nitrogen back on the fields. This however is about vitamin D.

Autism prevalence in the United States with respect to solar UV-B doses: An ecological study

Evidence is mounting that vitamin D deficiency is intimately involved in autism. We report on autism prevalence by US state for those aged 6–17 y in 2010 with respect to indices of solar UV-B (UVB) doses. We calculated autism prevalence rates for white, black and Asian Americans by using total prevalence and relative populations of minors for each ethnic group by state. Analyses omit AK and HI (considered extreme cases), WY (no data), along with AZ and ND for black Americans (low numbers) and DC, ME, MT, ND and SD for Asian Americans (low numbers). For white Americans, the regression coefficient for solar UVB doses and autism prevalence ranged from -0.52 in January to -0.57 in October. For black Americans, the regression coefficient for latitude was 0.61, whereas those for solar UVB ranged from -0.55 to -0.61. For Asian Americans, the values for solar UVB ranged from -0.28 to -0.38. The inverse correlation between solar UVB and autism prevalence is similar to that for many types of cancer in the US. The journal literature indicates that adverse effects on fetal brain development during pregnancy due to vitamin D deficiency can explain these findings. However, we cannot rule out a role of vitamin D deficiency in early life.

www.landesbioscience.com...

This is actually from late 2012. Found it interesting. Also of note is someone could do a study by comparing state rates of Autism and local tap water contents.

GetHyped
According to the NHS website, the childhood vaccine schedule is 8 to 9 vaccines. Don't know where you're getting this 50 figure from.

You chopping up my post isn't worth me responding to. However every year a child of 6 months or older is required by the school to have the new flu vaccine. That's all I am saying on the subject.

edit on 30-3-2014 by Pimpintology because: of fluoride!

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

You could be right. Have you heard the news?

According to research released this week and reported on NBC News, “Autism starts with disrupted genes [and is] a failure of early formation,” a formation experts begins in the second and third trimesters of pregnancy.

The study proves that genetics are a huge factor, so scientists are now looking at what exactly happens during pregnancy in order to figure out this new link. It has previously been reported that influenza (the flu) during pregnancy increases the risk of autism, but could that really be responsible for such a large number of cases of autism? I doubt it, but others factors that women are exposed to during pregnancy likely also increase the risk of autism. We just don’t know what.

www.babble.com...

ETA: NBC Article
edit on 30-3-2014 by DenyObfuscation because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

If it was from exposure to lead, there would have been a lot more autism years ago. People ate more wild game shot with lead shot years ago. Also there was more lead based paint being used years ago. There was lead poisoning but a lot less autism. The pesticides years ago did not cause autism, or the rates of these diseases would be lowering, not increasing. Now they have changed the pesticides and incorporated nano technology in the pesticides and miticides they spray on fresh veggies. We can't change the diet as fast as we have, most people will have some effect from that.

Now the only thing that follows this increase seems to be the increase in the number of vaccinations. Which ones could be causing the problem....who knows....it could even be a combination. It could even be the endocrine disruptors that mothers consume causing the child's mind not to form properly. These disruptors are in some foods naturally, mothers should not eat foods too much that are goitinogens or foods wrapped in plastics containing these things. When the mind is forming, a tiny bit of this may cause problems.

But there is no undeniable proof. Some of these changes take two generations to manifest, a small change being made the first generation that leads to another change the following generation. Notice how they sort of blame us for the problem instead of the businesses and FDA pushing this stuff as safe. Of course it is our fault, we let the FDA and USDA do this. We allow people who profit from selling stuff that has not been properly evaluated by diverse testing to market their products. Oh well, it gives us something to do taking care of these people with autism, it creates jobs for the medical industry.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 07:27 AM
link   

I have a niece who is perfectly normal, intelligent and coherent, but her mum has been persuaded by some loon with a "qualification" that she's autistic.

well said!

things like this go too far, like if you have an annoying kid... "oh it's ok he's got ADHD" .
no, youre kid's just an annoying little %$£!

history is full of great people who would probably have been labelled autistic.

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   
You know according to the same people who read this article on the news ... people who are now getting diagnosed for autism do not display any cognitive or verbal deficits. They may simply display some kind of social abnormality. Now, think very carefully, according to that kind of criterion - some social abnormality. How many of us here wouldn't qualify as fitting somewhere on this new autism spectrum?

Now, I am not saying that autism isn't real. I've worked with kids who had it, everything from high functioning Apsys to kids who had some severe cognitive issues.

But how loosely do we want medical science defining this spectrum of disorders? If a child is shy or not as social as we would like or expect, or maybe a tad too independent for anyone's liking, is it time to crack out the autism spectrum now? Are we getting to a case where everyone is normal unless you aren't?

posted on Mar, 30 2014 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Pimpintology

Maybe that's in the UK, but we have always been given the option by our doctor on the flu vaccine for our kid.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join