It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Find Treatment to Kill Every Kind of Cancer Tumor

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+79 more 
posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Researchers might have found the Holy Grail in the war against cancer, a miracle drug that has killed every kind of cancer tumor it has come in contact with, the New York Post reported.

The drug works by blocking a protein called CD47 that is essentially a "do not eat" signal to the body's immune system, according to Science Magazine.

Scientists Find Treatment to Kill Every Kind of Cancer Tumor

Wow...

Amazing news. Breast cancer in mice has been running rampant.

Seriously though, this is incredible. I know plenty of people that would jump at the opportunity to spear head the tests. Cancer affects so many of us around the world. Whether directly or indirectly I think we can all say we have experienced the effects of cancer in some way or another.

So far, researchers have used the antibody in mice with human breast, ovary, colon, bladder, brain, liver and prostate tumors transplanted into them. In each of the cases the antibody forced the mice's immune system to kill the cancer cells.

I hope this opens a door for those out there struggling with painful treatments.

More pertinent information to add:

From Stanford School of Medicine..

For the last year, many people have been working to make clinical trials possible. We are now hopeful that the first human clinical trials of anti-CD47 antibody will take place at Stanford in mid-2014, if all goes well. Clinical trials may also be done in the United Kingdom.

As we get closer to clinical trials, we will start posting information about enrollments on this page.

Additional sources:

Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America

New York Post
edit on 27-3-2014 by iamhobo because: Stanford School of Medicine information

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by iamhobo

Wow great find! Im gonna be reading about this all night lol.

Man, and I had my money on stemcells

+11 more 
posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Very encouraging.
One has to wonder though, wouldn't there be auto-immune effects? Wouldn't normal cells also be attacked? Seems like side effects might rival those of current chemotherapy in that regard.

In any case, researchers are hopeful that human clinical trials can begin this year.

The initial experiments were done in animals and the animal versions of anti-CD47 antibody cannot be used in humans. So researchers first have to create a "humanized" antibody to CD47, then the production of antibody must be scaled up in a sterile facility of the kind that is used to create other pharmaceutical products. Finally, clinical trials must be designed so that the data they generate will produce a valid scientific result, and the trials must be approved by regulatory officials.

stemcell.stanford.edu...
edit on 3/27/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by iamhobo

This really is a major discovery.

I thought I had heard something about this, the original article was from 2012 so there may be a thread about it on here.

Phage
Very encouraging.
One has to wonder though, wouldn't there be auto-immune effects? Wouldn't normal cells also be attacked? Seems like side effects might rival those of current chemotherapy in that regard.

In any case, researchers are hopeful that human clinical trials can begin this year.
stemcell.stanford.edu...

They say in the original article that blood cells are affected but, the body simply produces more. The main conflict would be if it were used in conjunction with chemotherapy which may stimulate greater production of CD47.
edit on 27-3-2014 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   
On the same phage as phage.

Tossing someone into an active volcano will get rid of all the cancer cells also.
I am simply cynical about miracle cancer cures..so, will see. But yeah, telling the immune system to stop eating may stop cancer from replicating..and everything else..

according to my ignorant mind anyhow.
edit on 27-3-2014 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Hopefully the side effects aren't too bad, but I'm sure those experiencing chemotherapy would do just about anything to try something new.

One can only hope I suppose.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   

SaturnFX

Tossing someone into an active volcano will get rid of all the cancer cells also.
I am simply cynical about miracle cancer cures..so, will see. But yeah, telling the immune system to stop eating may stop cancer from replicating..and everything else..

Other way around, the cancer broadcasts the "do not eat" message which is ignored by the immune system.

+5 more 
posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by iamhobo

The good side (really good side) of this is that it uses a very different process than chemotherapy. Chemo doesn't so much destroy cancer cells as keeping them from reproducing. This stuff allows the body's own defense system to actually attack the abnormal cells.

It's also impressive that it seems to work on a variety of cancers.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Agreed.

If you turn off the immune system's 'do not eat sign'.... wpouldn't it then begin to seek out and consume/destroy ALL cells it finds/comes into contact with.

IOW... your body kills itself

I would assume they''ll come up with a .ver that ignores healthy/normal cells.

???
edit on 3/27/2014 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Further reading indicates that cancers cells may have an "eat me" tag as well as the "don't eat me" tag, more so than normal cells. So turn off the "don't eat me" and the macrophages go nom the cancer cells more eagerly.

+14 more 
posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I surprise myself with my pessimism lately.
If this turns out to be true, I would wager this never sees the light of day.

All the research will be purchased, patented, then deep-sixed until the "cure" can be turned into something that people become dependent on for life, rather than actually curing a disease.

No money in a cure.

+5 more 
posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Oaktree

No money in a cure.

The hell there isn't.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Ok so they can cure it, what it cancer being replaced with to keep us perpeptually ill?

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

figured they'd of had/found a way to discern between the two.

cancer or not... ah wouldn't want the langoliers untowardly introduced into mah system.

yikes LOL

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

If I'm reading the PNAS article correctly, it's only turning off the signal from the phagocytic cells that form on human tumors.
edit on 27-3-2014 by iamhobo because: (no reason given)

link   

greencmp

SaturnFX

Other way around, the cancer broadcasts the "do not eat" message which is ignored by the immune system.

Well, either way, whatever you do to the cancer, you may end up doing to the whole system. that's, to my understanding, been the general issue with cancer.
I don't know..just am cautiously optimistic...well, that's even a stretch. when you hear 30 years of bs, flawed experimenting, and let downs, one tends to become cynical...not to mention my conspiracy mind is wondering that if this is perfect, would it be made available..and if so, what extreme cost would be tacked on, etc..

+4 more 
link   
reply to post by kathat

Dunno. Old age?
I was cured of cancer 27 years ago. Been doing pretty good since. 'Cepting for the age thing.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Well, either way, whatever you do to the cancer, you may end up doing to the whole system. that's, to my understanding, been the general issue with cancer.

Thus the need for clinical trials.

+17 more 
posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by iamhobo

Too late for my daughter, but I am in tears of joy for the next woman who wont have to watch her baby suffer like that - and the next young adult who will be raising their own children.

edit on 27-3-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   

kathat
Ok so they can cure it, what it cancer being replaced with to keep us perpeptually ill?

McDonalds.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join