It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Software glitch delays Soyuz arrival at ISS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 03:52 PM
link   
You ever blow a tire on a road trip, and have it delay you a few extra hours.

Well in space travel that equates to two days.

MOSCOW -- A software glitch on a Russian spacecraft heading to the International Space Station has delayed the arrival of three astronauts, including an American.
NASA said the crew was in no danger, and the U.S.-Russia space partnership was strong despite tensions over Ukraine.
The Soyuz spacecraft carrying Russians Alexander Skvortsov and Oleg Artemyev and NASA's Steve Swanson blasted off successfully early Wednesday and was scheduled to dock six hours later. Because of the glitch, the trip will now take two days.

Snag delays arrival of Soyus by two days

Well, hopefully they have a full ipod to entertain them for 48 hours.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   

benrl

Having watched a recent program broadcast in the uk about the space station, I noticed they have full access to the internet! So no need to stuff their ipods

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
This is notgong to be included in the ISS blackout is it? We will still be able to watch online? ANyone know?

Thanks in advance,

One Love
Lucinda

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
thank goodness its a soyuz... meaning they get an orbital/habitation module to hang out in/use as a bathroom.

If it were Orion , or an apollo-style capsule, they'd be much more uncomfortable..

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   

LucidLucinda
This is notgong to be included in the ISS blackout is it? We will still be able to watch online? ANyone know?

Thanks in advance,

One Love
Lucinda

The live feed will still be up, they just had to switch from a 4 orbit rendezvouz to a 43 (I think) orbit rendezvouz.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

I think they will be more worried about I-Piss and I -Poop in their pants.

But I don't know what Russian suits are capable of.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

VoidHawk

benrl

Having watched a recent program broadcast in the uk about the space station, I noticed they have full access to the internet! So no need to stuff their ipods

Pretty sure that only applies to on board ISS, not Soyuz.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 05:32 PM
link   

ngchunter

VoidHawk

benrl

You maybe right, but I'm sure they have the equivelant of wifi between Soyuz and the station. I'd be very surprised if they didn't.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

I did not even think of that! That is a bummer....

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Ok I posted about this rocket a few days ago after learning it missed docking and was going to circle back and dock on Thursday of this week. Now your story says nothing about that and that it blasted off Tuesday?
I will have to research this, something's not making sense.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SunnyDee

I am thinking we are telling the same story now that I've rechecked.

Anyway, NASA seems to think this is no big deal, but I've not heard about it happening before. Well, guess we'll see.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   
The Soyuz is actually due to dock in a few hours.
Watch it live on NASA TV: www.nasa.gov... or www.ustream.tv...

They used to spend several days in orbit prior to the docking in the past, so it's nothing unusual to them. Except I heard that they aren't allowed to eat or drink much, and the Soyuz is quite cold.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   

VoidHawk

ngchunter

VoidHawk

benrl

You maybe right, but I'm sure they have the equivelant of wifi between Soyuz and the station. I'd be very surprised if they didn't.

Internet communications is very low on the list of priorities for Soyuz. Most of her antennas are for the Kurs automated docking system. Soyuz is not currently intended for the kind of long habitation missions ISS is, internet connectivity is simply not a priority at the present time. Besides, just after arriving on orbit I think I'd be much more interested in spending my down time hogging the window than hogging the comm system. Why waste time looking at a computer screen when I can see beautiful earth vistas from space?

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   

ngchunter

VoidHawk

ngchunter

VoidHawk

benrl

Internet communications is very low on the list of priorities for Soyuz. Most of her antennas are for the Kurs automated docking system. Soyuz is not currently intended for the kind of long habitation missions ISS is, internet connectivity is simply not a priority at the present time. Besides, just after arriving on orbit I think I'd be much more interested in spending my down time hogging the window than hogging the comm system. Why waste time looking at a computer screen when I can see beautiful earth vistas from space?

.....na! I bet there all logged into ats right now

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:03 PM
link   

LucidLucinda
reply to post by intrptr

I did not even think of that! That is a bummer….

Yah, including the preflight, suit up and waiting on the pad before launch, they are glad to be relieved when they finally arrive at the ISS. Any delays can make for an itchy ride. They do have diapers and "fortitude" though, they're astronauts after all. They are trained to put up with all kinds of sh-- I mean stuff.

top topics

join