It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Operation Skyshield - the elusive Vulcan bomber

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ThePeaceMaker

HA!

I live in Shoeburyness, which is three miles down the road from Southend-On-Sea, and I often pass that very plane on my way to Rayleigh to visit folk! I remember seeing a Vulcan fly at the airshow we used to have here (for shame, it has been put on hiatus due to funding cuts). The videos which have been embedded, showing the mighty beasts at large, though they try, cannot do justice to the mind buggering noise that their engines produce. It is a sound that you hear in your bowels and your blood vessels, more than you do with your ears.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Why no mention of the English Electric 'Lightning' ?
One story I heard years ago from an RAF guy that in the training series 'Brightstar' a V bomber was sent over to test the radar, it was picked up, and two fighter sent to 'shoot it down' unbeknownst to the radar operators, there was a buccaneer under each wing! these 'poped out' when the American fighter were close enough, and then proceeded to 'shoot down' the Americans. Conformation of that tale would be really nice.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

Heya Brit yes I remember you saying I think on a previous thread that I got involved in. I'm down the road in Basildon I get the odd easy jet flight going into Southend most days ha. Hopefully once the restoration is done on the Vulcan I may get to see it in the sky more often. I have to agree with you about the noise, although I was I can still remember being at RAF fairford and seeing the beast. The roar and the size of the plane is overwhelming as it is and I remember standing next to one and being dwarfed by it. I don't think I had been that amazed until I saw the b-2 in it's first UK public visit at mildenhall.

If you use Facebook there is a page dedicated to the restoration of the Vulcan at southend. I believe from April the 26th or 27th (can't remember which but it's a Sunday) they start doing open days for people to visit, after that they will have open days every Sunday until August.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by pikestaff

Hey pikestaff, I only started this thread after I read a brief story about the Vulcan and thought is just share it with people here. Before I came to ats I thought I knew my aviation, since joining ats I feel like I'm back to square one lol. I know of the lightning again saw this as a youngster (I'm only 28) and never had a chance to see one fly with adult eyes to remember much of what I saw if that makes sense. Probably one of the best fighters/interceptors we have ever built, one thing I do remember as a kid was the way the engines were and seeing them on full after burner. As for it's operations and stories I can't provide any as I said since joint ats I consider myself as a noob to aviation. But that's why I like it here especially with the aviators/airmen that are members. Sorry for the lack of lightning talk :p

Off topic, you mentioned the buccaneer .. Another aircraft I liked. I'm gutted I was too young to remember the Cold War era aircraft the RAF used

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ThePeaceMaker

I went to the RIAT, Last year and it was a massive disappointment. The Vulcan was a highlight but apart from that, there wasn't a great deal flying. No US military at all and a performance from the police, fire and ambulance emergency helicopters, which was dull. It used to be amazing as a kid, with everything flying, but hardly any fast fighters last year.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Oh really ? Now that's not good to hear, as I mentioned I use to be amazed when I went there. I was there when the two MiG 29s crashed into each other still have it on and old VHS camcorder tape. I'll try and keep and eye open to see what they say in the website as to what is flying. Was looking at waddington too

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Sorry to bump and old uninteresting thread for those who are reading this. But for those who are in the UK and are Vulcan fans the last remaining flying Vulcan bomber is going to be flying at waddington air show this year

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
hi there, great thread.

Waddington is good, but it too is getting a bit tame,

on youtube is a video taken at Waddington 2006 or maybe 7 , that my wife filmed sat on the lights at the end of the runway, the force of the noise and wash knocked loads of people over , great video that shows the power of the engines.
alas i am no longer in the UK so i miss most of the flyovers by old planes.

snoopyuk

posted on Apr, 3 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by snoopyuk

Hi snoopy thanks for the reply. I use to go to waddington as a youngster maybe 12-15 years old. I remember one year we left at early hours of the morning as we live in Essex. We ended up being the first car sitting at the entrance gate where you queue up along the road at the end of the runway. Hoping to go with my brother and his kids this year that's going to make me feel old

posted on Oct, 17 2016 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I missed this one when it was posted.

There were three exercises, but only two involved simulated attacks. The third involved closing National airspace and getting aircraft on the ground. This was the first time it was done, not on 9/11.

During Skyshield II, on October 15, 1961 B-52G 58-0196, operating as Pogo 22 with 8 people on board, departed Seymore-Johnson AFB, NC to join the attackers. Off the cost of Newfoundland, Pogo 22 disappeared. They searched for approximately a week, and one search aircraft reported a possible flare sighting, but no sign of any of the crew was found.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join