It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Operation Skyshield - the elusive Vulcan bomber

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 07:28 AM
link   
First off not sure if this is the correct forum mods please move if this is the case, secondly I tried searching but couldn't find anything and lastly I'm not thread maker please be gentle.

Anyway on my Facebook I'm linked to a Vulcan bomber restoration page and they just posted an interesting story from 1961 that I've just read.
Operation skyshield was 3 exercises to test the Canadian and American air defences against an attack from the Soviet Union. NORAD at the time understood it would only take one bomber to get through enabling or to destroy at least one city, but NORAD were satisfied that their radars were good enough to give an early warning. In October 1961 the RAF and it's Vulcan bombers were invited over, two squadrons sent over 4 Vulcan bombers each. One group of vulcans flew from Scotland to attack North America from the north and the other four flew from Bermuda to attack from the south.
The four attacking from the north, one was intercepted and 'shot down' by an f101 voodoo but the other 3 managed to escape and land unopposed and landed in Newfoundland successfully breaching the radar lines. The four bombers on the southern attack run , 3 of them put up a radar jamming screen while the forth sneaked in and landed at a airfield in New York State undetected.

According to what I read the Vulcan had a small radar cross section due to it's design and only the large tail fin gave off most of the radar detection. Also it said in theory the Vulcan bombers could of obliterated Chicago, New York and Washington before running out of fuel.

Anyway that's all I've got to share, I found it quite an interesting little read being a fan of the Vulcan and remember seeing them at air shows as a youngster. Also it's nice knowing there are restoration teams out there keeping these birds flying. I have a small airport about 10 miles from me where a Vulcan is kept. Enjoy the little read there is and of there is anyone out there who flew the Vulcan or had some interaction with these great planes feel free to add any info.

Here's the link which I was reading
forum.flightgear.org...

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   
So they simply fly head on to minimise the tailfin cross section.

(Or backwards, that'll fool the yanks).

edit on 27-3-2014 by kathat because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by ThePeaceMaker

A beautiful looking aircraft:-

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by kathat

Ha! Well they could of flown side ways too apparently the vulcans were equipped with the latest radar jamming equipment and the south attacking bombers were not detected or intercepted

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   

If any of you are within travelling distance of Gloucester you can visit the jet age museum and sit in a vulcan cockpit.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by alldaylong

Yes very beautiful
along with the Handley Page Victor bomber they were my favourite planes while growing up. Nice video of a Vulcan bomber doing low fly bys at beachy head.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Back in the 70's they were based over in RAF Valley...part of the star wars programme I believe....love that plane! Second to the Harrier and then the Jaguar.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by SprocketUK

Gloucester is a bit too far from me but here in Essex, at Southend airport they are restoring a Vulcan. It sometimes does taxi runs and they have an open day from the 27th April every Sunday until August were the public can turn up and have a good look at her

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Ha! Thank you for that. I'm moving to Cheltenham (all being well) in the summer....duly noted for a visit!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   

angelchemuel

Ha! Thank you for that. I'm moving to Cheltenham (all being well) in the summer....duly noted for a visit!

Rainbows
Jane

Tidy!
Well, the museum is free, they survive on donations. It's on the industrial estate at the back of Staverton Airport.

Though you can find them online.

I still can't get over how awesome the Gloster Javelin is either.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 07:58 AM
link   

"Tidy!"....that's south waleian!
I know Staveron well. Mitsubishi had their 'fleet' up there when I worked for them in the '90's!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

haha not quite. Grew up in Hereford so sorta bilingual. ..not

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Off topic on my own thread .. Oh I did love the jaguar as well loved the idea of the air to air missiles on TOP of the wings

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 08:02 AM
link   

ThePeaceMaker

Off topic on my own thread .. Oh I did love the jaguar as well loved the idea of the air to air missiles on TOP of the wings

Go down to Gibralter, and you can see plenty of Nados flying about the rock and Spanish border.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Haha...you're 'borderline' then LOL!...I speak both spokes!

@ Peace....The Jaguar I would describe as 'sublime'.

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 08:14 AM
link   

angelchemuel

Rainbows
Jane

If you're there in time, you might be lucky to see it flying into/departing from RIAT in July.

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

Oh of course! I forgot about that...mssed it by 2 days last year when I was down there.
. Thank you

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   
The jag was very nice but nothing beats the English electric lightning. Oh and I'm desperately trying to go to RIAT. Last big air show I went to was back at mildenhall when they had the air fetes

On topic. When I get time I might read up on the bomber and refuelling tankers used during the Falklands war. They used loads of tankers just to get one Vulcan bomber in a position to bomb the air strip at Stanley airfield
edit on 27-3-2014 by ThePeaceMaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   

kathat

You must be right. They surely couldn't fly sideways.
?

posted on Mar, 27 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Aliensun

kathat

You must be right. They surely couldn't fly sideways.
?

I was joking about the flying sideways bit

top topics

<<   2 >>

join