It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skeptics: Do you want to be alone in the Universe?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Do you want to be alone in the Universe?

The skeptical side of the alien debate represents "there is no evidence"

Is there really no evidence?

I ask the question because I find it astonishing so many people don't want to look. What caused you to give up the search?

Do you want to be alone? Do you limit your alien research to ufology? Do you limit it to pictures of Mars? Do you limit it to fraudulent claims or hoaxes? Do you limit your beliefs because of SETI?

Do you limit your belief because you are out of touch with modern science?

Do you feel comfortable with your skeptical belief because of the size of the Universe? It's too big to search?

Have you seen enough evidence to discount alien life in our solar system?

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
We know that true believers will believe in Alien visitation without looking at the evidence or even considering it.

We also know that true Skeptics will believe there is no Alien Visitation without looking at the evidence or even considering it.

LOL

Big problem here on both sides.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by game over man

No but then I don't believe we are.

There is really no evidence that any other life exists out there but in this case absence of evidence really isn't evidence of absence.

Do you feel comfortable with your skeptical belief because of the size of the Universe? It's too big to search?

Aren't you getting confused with people being skeptical of Alien visitation rather than Alien existence ?

I believe there probably is other life in our solar system but we have to find it for that belief to become fact.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
It's mathematically impossible to be alone in the universe, visitation is another thing entirely.
But purely in math we are not alone. It would be impossible.

The Drake Equation

The Drake equation is a probabilistic argument used to estimate the number of active, communicative extraterrestrial civilizations in the Milky Way galaxy. The equation was written in 1961 by Frank Drake not for purposes of quantifying the number of civilizations,[1] but intended as a way to stimulate scientific dialogue at the world's first SETI meeting, in Green Bank, West Virginia. The equation summarizes the main concepts which scientists must contemplate when considering the question of other radio-communicative life.[1] The Drake equation has proved controversial since several of its factors are currently unknown, and estimates of their values span a very wide range. This has led critics to label the equation a guesstimate, or even meaningless.

While of course its a guesstimate, and probably nowhere near correct. But its a start. And the Kepler findings have proven other words to exist around other stars. Its only a matter of time before we find life (in any form). That is just for our home galaxy as well.
edit on 25/3/14 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
No.

Given the estimated number of planets suitable for life it's pretty impossible for there to be no life out there.

However given the estimated number of planets suitable for life it's pretty impossible for an intelligent life to have visited Earth.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   
While it is mathematically not possible to be alone in the Universe it is also mathematically likely that we will never meet anyone else living in it. The picture below shows just how far out into the universe our radio signals have moved (200 light years).

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   

bastion
No.

Given the estimated number of planets suitable for life it's pretty impossible for there to be no life out there.

However given the estimated number of planets suitable for life it's pretty impossible for an intelligent life to have visited Earth.

See that's where you're wrong. You haven't looked at any data or given any thought to that question. You are a true believer that this isn't possible. You're no better than a young earth creationist who doesn't want to believe in evolution. Not slighting you, just trying to get you to understand.

Why couldn't there be life out there that has evolved hundreds, thousands, millions or billions of years more advanced than us? Is that a possibility? 200 years ago, you would have told me that airliners are impossible and that we could never send a robot to Mars. What will we accomplish centuries millennia or billions of years from now?

Sure that's speculation but so is your post that "...it's pretty impossible for an intelligent life to have visited earth." That's a statement of opinion. Not fact. That's the point.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   

I can only speak for myself of course, but Skeptics like me don't want to believe. We want to know.

game over man

Not as far as I know... but feel free to change my mind. Give me your best shot.

game over man

That sentence doesn't even make sense.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   

game over man

It's a stupid question there will be lots of life out there that doesn't mean Mog from Zog visits here, I am a sceptic about ufo's being flown by aliens but not about life being elsewhere.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Doesn't really matter what they want. We either are or are not alone.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   

game over man

I ask the question because I find it astonishing so many people don't want to look. What caused you to give up the search?

Do you want to be alone? Do you limit your alien research to ufology? Do you limit it to pictures of Mars? Do you limit it to fraudulent claims or hoaxes? Do you limit your beliefs because of SETI?

Whoa there guy, you are making a lot of assumptions about skeptics that aren't true of the body as a whole. First off, I'm skeptical of everything I read, but I certainly don't think we are alone in the universe. There is a REALLY good chance that other civilizations exist in the universe. This being said, I also REALLY want to believe that we've been visited. I really do, it would make me simply astounded if that were to be true, its just that the evidence presented for this to be the case is quite lacking and oftentimes easily debunked. But there is also mysterious events and sightings that have remained mysterious to me and keep my imagination firing.

As far as life within our solar system, it is increasingly looking like our planet is the only body in the solar system that has life on it. That's not to say that I think this is the case, we could find a bacterial life on a comet whipping around the Oort Cloud for all we know. As far as intelligent life in our solar system, I think it is a safe bet that we are the only species where this is the case. Complex lifeforms in our solar system also have a good case for only existing on earth as well. But until we explore every nook and cranny of every body in the solar system I cannot say definitively one way or the other about this.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   
The all or nothing stance is silly,

I fully belive there is Life out there, That even Intelligence probably exist, its all too big not to.

But with that ALL too big part, comes a logical addendum, Finding us, even by our radio waves, would be akin to me picking a grain of sand, not telling you, and you trying to guess where it is.

Even if we count ALL the habital planets in OUR galaxy, what if the intelligence isn't even in ours, what if its in Andromeda with just as little clue as us?

Even with instantaneous travel, Finding life in the infinite universe could be harder than we can comprehend, we just don't know YET.

We just don't have enough data.

I believe in life else where, I just highly doubt its coming here.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by amazing

Well this whole thread topic is a statement of opinion and not fact so you can't really argue. Its not that I dont want to believe in intelligent life elsewhere. I'm just waiting for the "100% without a doubt we are not alone evidence" and none of this "I was abducted in the night by a short grey being crap" which chances are I will be long dead which is quite depressing.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   

game over man

NO, I don't think we are...

There appears to be no evidence of intelligent alien visitation to our planet.

Nothing conclusive that I have come across.

Who gave up? As soon as something compelling is found I will change my viewpoint.

Your questions seem to make certain assumptions that I think are inaccurate in regards to a skeptical viewpoint.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   

game over man

Why do you ask one question and then assume the answer is to a completely different question? There may be an abundance of life throughout the universe - we don't know, we have no proof. What we do not have is definite evidence that any of it has ever visited this planet, the two are very separate and to bundle them together doesn't help anything.

The Drake equation by the way is flawed because it works on a sample of one planet where one life form - more specifically one life form that has had the economic capacity to explore (in a limited fashion) its satellite and land a robot on its neighbour. That doesn't mean intelligent life isn't out there, but why be so sure they are all traversing the universe?

You are mistaking skeptisism with denial - that's something to think about.

"Do you limit your belief because you are out of touch with modern science?"

What does that even mean? Probability of life? Not sure how many people on ATS have ever said that. Proof of visitation? Completely different question - and what do you mean by 'modern science'? - sorry, but these are two different subjects yet some people like to tie them together to make an argument.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   

You don't seem to understand. It seems a naive question to even ask.

Being skeptical of intelligent life visiting Earth does not mean being skeptical of other life in the universe.

It is about as near a mathematical certainty as you can get that there is other life out there somewhere--hundreds or thousands of light years from Earth. ----Want to be alone? No, it is just that it hasn't been found yet. The search continues.

SETI is continually looking and searching for signs. The universe is so huge and the distances so unimaginably vast, that is a Herculean task for them to find signals that would have reached us.

Does that mean skeptics have given up? Hell no.

edit on 3/25/2014 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Hey mods, how many of these rage against the skeptic threads will it take to get a dedicated Evil Debunker forum?

Almost makes me nostalgic for the Disclosure is Near days.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Which alien debate might that be?

Visitation? Existence of intelligent beings?

Evidence of what exactly?

I see this a question you should be asking to individuals that have done so, assuming there are and if they have given up the search what makes you think they would read a thread in Aliens and UFOs forum if they have given that up?

Oh and its not being skeptical to stop searching without an answer, then the skeptic that once was is no more and just the average lazy Joe who was once a skeptic.

Do you want to be alone? Do you limit your alien research to ufology? Do you limit it to pictures of Mars? Do you limit it to fraudulent claims or hoaxes? Do you limit your beliefs because of SETI? Do you limit your belief because you are out of touch with modern science?

If one limits themselves to anything you mentioned above then they are not skeptical enough, Yes one can limit themselves to one of those scenarios if one gets a reasonable understanding out of one certain approach, if not they take another approach and keep tackling the problem until its left unexplained by whats available publicly as of now or until they find a reasonable answer at least for themselves, others will disagree.

Skeptical belief?

I think you are talking about believers and disbelievers or debunkers and not skeptics.

Yes everyone has their beliefs but a true skeptic will take what is given and see how reliable the info is using a some sort of logical deduction.

If they cannot explain they will say its Unidentified and leave it at that. speculating what it might be based on preconceived beliefs or experiences heard of from others just muddies the waters and makes identifying that which is classified as a UFO a much harder task for future generations.

No the evidence points to there being a highly likely chance of other life in our solar system, Alien life or intelligent alien life, I thought we had discovered bacteria and other forms of life outside of earths atmosphere so if correct then there is alien life in our solar system.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   

amazing

bastion
No.

See that's where you're wrong. You haven't looked at any data or given any thought to that question. You are a true believer that this isn't possible. You're no better than a young earth creationist who doesn't want to believe in evolution. Not slighting you, just trying to get you to understand.

Why couldn't there be life out there that has evolved hundreds, thousands, millions or billions of years more advanced than us? Is that a possibility? 200 years ago, you would have told me that airliners are impossible and that we could never send a robot to Mars. What will we accomplish centuries millennia or billions of years from now?

Sure that's speculation but so is your post that "...it's pretty impossible for an intelligent life to have visited earth." That's a statement of opinion. Not fact. That's the point.

I've studied the Drake equation and similar for a few years so I have looked at the data and analysed it.

The Universe is both too young for intelligent life to be prevalent (it takes billions of years for gases to cool, planets to form, etc..) and we've not been sending out signals of intelligent life long enough for it to have reached the nearest habitable planets. Scalewise it's like trying to find a grain of sand in our solar system in under a minute.

Give it a few hundred million years and there's a chance we they may visit (if the Earth still exists) but in a few billion years it's far more likely that Boltzmann Brains will be the norm.

edit on 25-3-2014 by bastion because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   

game over man

OP, I have to say,

Your the reason Skeptics are so Skeptic.

As logical reasoning people, its hard to hear people ask question like you do and not sigh from exasperation.

You seem to take leaps that aren't there, and make assumptions that aren't true, how can we even begin to debate with TRUE believers.

Theres nothing wrong with that, just understand why the reaction your receiving is the way it is.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join