It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Soup For You!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 06:39 AM
link   

gortex
reply to post by supermouse

We're being screwed!

Tell that to someone in the third world ! , in reality you've never had it so good.

I like the third world. You can live there happily on a dollar or two a day. Why can't you do that in America or Europe? Because you are being screwed!

I went in a bar the other day, paid 10 dollars for a beer...then they expected a tip...

What's great is that the people on google play and in that restaurant are starting to wise-up and complain instead of suffering in silence.

Those copyright people tipped from outrageous greed into total insanity a long time ago. What's the penalty for cub scouts singing their favorite songs around a campfire in the USA? Seven years in prison and an unlimited fine?

Who is really getting something for nothing? The kids singing, or the corporation that pretends to own the rights to "happy birthday to you"?

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   

supermouse

I like the third world. You can live there happily on a dollar or two a day.

This is true in a lot of places. What you fail to realize is that most of the people who could live happily on that $1 a day, only make $1 a week or less. That is why there is so much more poverty in certain places than there is in the US.

It's kind of like when the older generations talk about getting a full bag of candy for 5 cents... back then it took a whole lot of work for that 5 cents. I remember gas when it was 89 cents a gallon, but when I started working I was only getting paid a little over $3 an hour.

You can't just look at the cost of things without looking at the actual value of the dollar you are earning at the time.

I don't have a real hard time giving a developer a few dollars for an app if it is something I can use. I paid a few dollars for Beautiful Widgets (weather app) several years ago and have been using it daily ever since. That is not a lot to pay for something that is useful and works well.

Would you work your daily job for free or below minimum wage?

edit on 3/25/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

Yeah I know what you mean K4E but from a different perspective regarding mature persons.

I have worked all my life and with my beautiful wife and 4 children (17 to 11 old) retired to a small farm in a remote local, obsure part of the country. Met up with some great locals.

A couple ressiding on the farm across the way had their horses on our property...No worries (plenty of room). Except we eventually were looking after the animals while they went away etc. Lent them a motorbike. Gave them a water pump to pump from their dam. Gave them food from our garden we put in. Now this went on for some months to the extent we were ignored unless they wanted something. Regardless of what we gave/lent them we were basically forgotten.

We put a stop to it recently and luckily got the bike back. (expensive farm bike).

Result - we are worthless capitalist pigs. (Described).

Hangon here, I have worked since I was 15 and now 56 finally got a small retirement property, while they reside on welfare upon their property and complain the Gov doesn't do enough to assist them. Oh and its rude that they can't drive after receiving their 'methadone' treatment.

I'm talking about a couple in their late 30's.

This wasn't in my retirement plan. We thought we were just helping out until we said that terrible word 'no'. Being polite we put thanks after 'no'.

I think nowadays people don't like/understand the word 'no' or 'nup'. Yes this is a rant. Someone says 'no' get used to it.

Kind regards,

Bally

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Kangaruex4Ewe

supermouse

I like the third world. You can live there happily on a dollar or two a day.

This is true in a lot of places. What you fail to realize is that most of the people who could live happily on that $1 a day, only make $1 a week or less. That is why there is so much more poverty in certain places than there is in the US.

It's kind of like when the older generations talk about getting a full bag of candy for 5 cents... back then it took a whole lot of work for that 5 cents. I remember gas when it was 89 cents a gallon, but when I started working I was only getting paid a little over $3 an hour.

You can't just look at the cost of things without looking at the actual value of the dollar you are earning at the time.

I don't have a real hard time giving a developer a few dollars for an app if it is something I can use. I paid a few dollars for Beautiful Widgets (weather app) several years ago and have been using it daily ever since. That is not a lot to pay for something that is useful and works well.

Would you work your daily job for free or below minimum wage?

Sure, of course I'm happy to create android apps for free (jigsaw cube on google play). Why wouldn't I be? I could work for less than minimum wage too... If I wasn't constantly being ripped off. I already have 2 dollars for every day I'm likely to live, so I'd have plenty if governments weren't actively stopping me from living well.

As for the candy, it should be cheaper than it was for your grandparents. With all the automation on the farms and factories it should cost almost nothing by now. It costs you more because the same public sector workers that make all these laws saying what you can and can't sing have gone on an insane orgy of greed. They're printing trillions of dollars (QE) and paying it to themselves in bloated salaries and pensions. Inflation isn't natural, it's a scam and a rip-off.

Like I said, we shouldn't be paying a hundred times more than we need to for the basic necessities of life. We're getting screwed.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   
This brings to mind the old "penny wise, pound-foolish" mentality.
Oscar Wilde once described a man he knew as someone "who knows the price
of everything, but the value of nothing."

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   

OOPS ! DubbaPost!
edit on 25-3-2014 by ColeYounger because: OOPS ! DubbaPost!

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   
These people have clearly never heard of cracked apps. That's how I got the full minecraft for free - and its portable!

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   

ColeYounger

That is probably one of the most fitting things I have heard in a while.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Dumbing down of the masses.
Manufacture of consent.

Nowadays who can argue against this?

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by bally001

Every time I ask for something, I always tell the person I am asking that I am completely open to being denied, just to ensure that I'm not imposing on their sense of generosity. Some people will feel like that and simply not say anything, but I won't have it. I'm tough, I can take a good firm "no". And if you can't afford to help me, far be it from me to add to that strain.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I bet some that complained about 0.99$ are some that have bought the latest regurgitation of whatever call of duty or medal of honor came out for 60-70 bucks.

While I agree that digital copying isn`t worth much on it`s own, I think we should encourage people that take their time to create apps for every user out there. Personally, I would go for distributing for free and give the option of donation. I would rather donate 5$ for great applications if I feel it`s worth it for me than paying just one dollar like everybody else.

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   

I have a close relative and their spouse who are totally fixated on getting things free or cheap or a really good deal etc.. To the point of debilitating. They spend so much effort that they are more than willing to inconvenience themselves and their family and friends to do it. It's infuriating and exhausting ...especially when I have to pick them up at the airport at an ungodly hour because they got a "deal" on a ticket and are also too cheap to rent a car. LoL!

posted on Mar, 25 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   

One of the problems from a consumer's standpoint is they don't know just how much effort goes into creating a game (in the tech industry, game developers are biased into the "burger flipper" category). All the consumer cares about is that they shouldn't have to pay $1-$5 dollars for a "cheap" app.

The game developer isn't dumb - they know that if 500 people download their app for $1, then they just made probably enough for paying the bills for a month (at least, in my case $500 would go a long way).

Of course, none of them probably tried to develop their own games, just to see how much time & energy is spent making them.

I've seen it in stores like the Salvation Army as well - Someone goes up to the front desk, and asks that a $1 item be sold to them for 50 cents (I made sure to leave a loud, snide comment when they walked away in disgust; the item they were haggling for was $40 new, and probably could have sold for $20 - Not a bad investment for $1).

Problem is that society doesn't want to pay full price - hence why you see "sales" (For example - buy a box of Pop Tarts 8ct for $1.99 on sale, or buy a large 12ct box for 2.00 not on sale), and people complaining. When you complain, stores are expected to comply (IE: Threatening to switch to a different carrier because their internet is more reliable), and in most situations, they do.

-fossilera

FYI - I I developed an app, and sold it for a dollar with no ads attached, anyone that complains would be made into an easter egg in the app.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Add to this the gangs that run around looting stores, with the attitude that, if they want it, they can just take it! They'll take it from someone else, too. I can understand people watching what they spend, but complaining about the cost of restaurant food? I'd tell him, "Dude, go make it at home." Screaming at the poor cashier isn't going to change a thing.

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 01:07 AM
link   
i am one of life's free loaders if it's not free i aint buying it

now where is my soup i usually go to the soup kitchen once a week

just for the free entertainment /with coffee

please sir i want some more

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Since when does the android marketplace represent humanity in general?

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 01:51 AM
link   

999zxcv
i am one of life's free loaders if it's not free i aint buying it

now where is my soup i usually go to the soup kitchen once a week

just for the free entertainment /with coffee

please sir i want some more

Oliver? Is that you?

Hey, everybody likes a good deal.

pleasethink
Since when does the android marketplace represent humanity in general?

Who said it did?

LadyGreenEyes

Add to this the gangs that run around looting stores, with the attitude that, if they want it, they can just take it! They'll take it from someone else, too. I can understand people watching what they spend, but complaining about the cost of restaurant food? I'd tell him, "Dude, go make it at home." Screaming at the poor cashier isn't going to change a thing.

That's what I felt like saying truthfully. People are amazing. Your looting stores analogy reminded me of events like Katrina. People were dying left and right. No electricity, food, clean water, etc. YET people were looting flat screen televisions, stereos, and the like. It happens everywhere in the US almost every time something like that happens. It's crazy!

A lot of people have their needs and wants confused, but want it all in both areas without having to pay a penny for it.
edit on 3/28/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Whats the bet that many of these people that are cheapskates do not want to do a fair days work for a fair days pay either. Eg You expect me to actually work and not just turn up for work crowd or the on facebook etc for halve the time they are suppose to be working crowd
The ME,ME,ME people of this world cannot seem to see anyone except for themselves and thus cannot see why they should treat others fairly. Then these people wonder why others do not want to help them out at all or have any part of of having to deal with their freeby, freeloading, lazy, using or cheapskate attitudes.
Some common sense ideas for getting on in this world :
1) do a fair days work for a fair days pay
2) Realise that better education, higher skill level, better social skill levels and the ability to work harder and longer will most likely be rewarded with greater job satisfaction and higher pay.
3) Be prepared to pay someone a fair price for a service or an item that they are providing
4) If you are not prepared to pay a fair price then you do not really want what is being offered or cannot afford what is being offered.
5) Live with in your means
6) Buy secondhand if you cannot afford new
7) barta for something

posted on Mar, 28 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   
It is called entitlement and preached by Obama, the liberals and the dems. "You want what they have without doing anything to deserve or earn it...and you are right...you should have it! Take it, hate them and keep voting for us. We will help you steal after feeding your hate".

Yup...or government.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join