It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The monkey mind (kapicitta)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   
is a term sometimes used by Buddest to describe the agitated, easily distracted and incessantly moving behavior of ordinary human consciousness. For me personally this means a 24/7 constant narrative of recent events,past events and potential future events. Where in, my mind looks at and dissects every potential outcome (that I can foresee) of numerous situations going on in my life. I write this to ask you this my ATS friends. How does your mind operate? Is it like what I have described? This is something I've been curious about for a long time. It seems the older I get the worse it gets. For the life of me I cannot remember a time when my mind was not in overdrive.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by w810i

Well my mind is a mess. Once I had a few day's missing from my memory just a blank spot in my memory, not too sure what I got up too (probably just got drunk).

Might help to keep a journal or a diary. I used a lot of them when I was travelling because I would sometimes return to previous places if I needed something or just liked the place in general. Hopefully that helps you a bit.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Sounds like ADD is your issue, as it is many these days, me too. New research shows 7 different types, see-
( www.amenclinics.com... ) for details, the commonly prescribed stimulants cause harm with some types. Through better nutrition (staying away from sugar and many other common toxins) as well as exercise, meditation and improved self awareness of the problems and your behaviors, many can focus better, life better, and become more calm.

As to monkey brains, I suggest researching Triune Brain Theory developed by Paul McClean, of NIMH many years ago, and popularized by Carl Segan in original Cosmos series, tells us that we maintain separate regions of reptilian, mammalian and primate brains, from the brain core outwards. The core of the brain is similar in structure and function to all reptilian brains. Sex and aggression are the rooted in that oldest region of the brain, the brain stem, along with muscle control and autonomic organ controls.

Surrounding it evolved the mammalian brain which is the center of emotions (limbric system). Bonding, nurturing, sadness, love, all emotions are rooted there and are chemical based. On the outer layers are the primate brain with its extended memory, reasoning and ability to learn and communicate. This is another proof of evolution as is the more recent DNA analysis which (surprise) shows how genetically close we are to primates (95% shared genes +/-). OK so we have still the monkey brain, or more correctly, the primate brain (monkeys are not primates, and are a little father back in the evolutionary relationships.

edit on 24-3-2014 by retsdeeps1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-3-2014 by retsdeeps1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I don't believe its ADHD at all. The site you listed refers to it as:

What is ADHD? Simply put, ADHD is characterized by:
• Persistent short attention span
• Distractibility
• Disorganization
• Procrastination
• Problems with forethought and judgment
• Impulse control

I have none of those issues. I have no problem with day to day tasks (work,relationships,etc) Lets see if I can explain it better. While at work for example I will be doing whatever task is required, while interacting with coworkers all the while my brain is looking at what is going on in my life breaking it down from every available angle and then rebuilding said event in any possible number of situations and combinations and running what basically amounts to a given scenario, then breaking it back down again and rebuilding it in an entirely different combination of possibilities.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by retsdeeps1

I don't think our Buddha buddies were thinking about evolution, or primate minds, when they spoke of the monkey mind.

You must learn to control yourself, and focus your mental talents and abilities. Meditation is the easiest way to do so

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by w810i

One way to work this out is to spend part of each day focused on the space between the words or images.

Taming the monkey mind has its benefits, that's for sure. And you seem to have a very interesting mind, which can see viewpoints and work through them rapidly.
edit on 24-3-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Q33323
reply to post by retsdeeps1

I don't think our Buddha buddies were thinking about evolution, or primate minds, when they spoke of the monkey mind.

You must learn to control yourself, and focus your mental talents and abilities. Meditation is the easiest way to do so

I can't meditate.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Aleister
reply to post by w810i

One way to work this out is to spend part of each day focused on the space between the words or images.

Taming the monkey mind has its benefits, that's for sure. And you seem to have a very interesting mind, which can see viewpoints and work through them rapidly.
edit on 24-3-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

Truthfully its highly annoying. I can't just let something be for the sake of it just being.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by w810i

Never say never... Why"can't" you?

I find it incredibly difficult to find the time in my increasingly crazy schedule, although I believe it would improve my mental state of affairs and general stress levels. What is your reason?

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   

gwynnhwyfar
reply to post by w810i

I find it incredibly difficult to find the time in my increasingly crazy schedule, although I believe it would improve my mental state of affairs and general stress levels. What is your reason?

Ive tried for years to do it. Simple fact is i am unable to turn my mind off.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 10:43 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by w810i

It sounds like you made the thread in order to feel out how it feels to claim understanding of the problem, and then deny your own responsibility in solving the problem (i.e. I can't.). Well, don't feel like I am picking on you, because neither can I!

You sound JUST like me. I am trying to force myself, but it is not easy. My work is extremely stressful and I wake up every night dreaming of work. I hardly ever have not dreamed of work in the past year. My mind is constantly working on the problem it can't solve - how to get my project to go live, when it has faced ridiculous problems from the time I would up inheriting it. Monkey mind never shuts down, never a peaceful night's sleep, shoulders continually bound up, etc.

I know the solution is to turn inwards and spend time in meditation, but it seems impossible for me. You too? It isn't that I don't know how, but that I seem incapable of unburdening myself from my current sense of my obligations to my job.

So why are YOU yoked to your monkey mind?

Take care,
Gwynn
edit on 24-0320143-1414 by gwynnhwyfar because: Spelling

edit on 24-0320143-1414 by gwynnhwyfar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   

w810i

gwynnhwyfar
reply to post by w810i

Are you familiar with the mechanics? Looking for suggestions on techniques? I can recommend some that I have had success with, in the past, if you can get freed up enough to actually work with them.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   

w810i

gwynnhwyfar
reply to post by w810i

Do you really want a meditation you can do (from your description)? If so, I'll pm you, but not now.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by gwynnhwyfar

The point of the thread was to find out if others dwelt with the same issues that I do. I understand that some people feel that its beneficial to meditate. I cant say that it would or would not help me. After trying numerous types of medititation, i can honestly say its not something i can do. My mind is constantly circulating thru numerous circumstances and objectives. It would appear that this is how my brain is wired.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by w810i

Ok, I think I get it now. You are saying you understand the methods other folks have used (meditation, etc) but you haven't been able to get them to work for you.

Next question - do you actually want to silence it? Do you feel like the monkey mind is working for or against you?

Perhaps you feel it serves you, in your present state, and there is no purpose to be served by silencing it.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   

w810i
is a term sometimes used by Buddest to describe the agitated, easily distracted and incessantly moving behavior of ordinary human consciousness. For me personally this means a 24/7 constant narrative of recent events,past events and potential future events. Where in, my mind looks at and dissects every potential outcome (that I can foresee) of numerous situations going on in my life. I write this to ask you this my ATS friends. How does your mind operate? Is it like what I have described? This is something I've been curious about for a long time. It seems the older I get the worse it gets. For the life of me I cannot remember a time when my mind was not in overdrive.

Check out my thread here:
Enlightenment in 15-30 days, an EXTREMELY fast method. Mahasi Style Noting
Link Here

There is a specific meditation noting method that is perfect for people with Monkey mind. In fact that Monkey Mind helps you to take note of everything using the method. A friend of mine with very bad a.d.d. style monkey mind got the beginning stages of enlightenment via this method

Love

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 11:18 PM
link   

gwynnhwyfar
reply to post by w810i

Ok, I think I get it now. You are saying you understand the methods other folks have used (meditation, etc) but you haven't been able to get them to work for you.

Next question - do you actually want to silence it? Do you feel like the monkey mind is working for or against you?

Perhaps you feel it serves you, in your present state, and there is no purpose to be served by silencing it.

Yes, you are correct. Im aware of what other people have done and have had success with. It would be nice to have even a few moments of silence. Its a double edged sword as it has both helped and hindred me. It would be nice to simply let something be what it is and not to have to break it down to its core components.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   

w810i

gwynnhwyfar
reply to post by w810i

Yes, you are correct. Im aware of what other people have done and have had success with. It would be nice to have even a few moments of silence. Its a double edged sword as it has both helped and hindred me. It would be nice to simply let something be what it is and not to have to break it down to its core components.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Aleister

w810i

gwynnhwyfar
reply to post by w810i

Do you really want a meditation you can do (from your description)? If so, I'll pm you, but not now.

Sure

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join