It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Norwegian Gamer Hospitalized After Drinking 4 Liters of Energy Drink

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Quote - "Last month, a teen gamer in Norway suffered severe kidney failure and fell into a coma after consuming over a gallon of energy drink in a 16-hour period.

Henrik Eide Dahl,14, was participating in an all-night Call of Duty LAN party and reportedly drank four liters of the caffeine-packed sugar-water in order to stay awake. Towards the end of the marathon, the teen collapsed"

So, those keep you alert drinks are really great..

LINK TO STORY

Anyone remember there was an issue a while back after if was found out that Red Bull needed a farmacutical license to produce the drink due to the contents ?? I think the story disappeared relatively quickly..

+2 more 
posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1972

Darwinism in action.

Let the dumb kill themselves off.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 06:57 AM
link   

And yet another casualty of Clan Wars. Seriously though, were going to have a generation of kids and adults for that matter , riddled with health problems because of these 'energy' drinks. What ever happened to old fashioned coffee?

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by highfreq

Playing for several days will drain your power, after the first few energy drinks, its just the sugar that gives you energy. the caffeine will just go into the toilet. The problem is, he replaces kalories with sugar kalories, meaning there are no vitamins or other things in it, that you would need too. Sure there are vitamins soluted in most drinks but if you overdose you will get problems and the simply flush through.

@crazyewok
I would not call them idiots, as that would mean I am an idiot too in your eyes and I visited several 3-4day LAN parties in my younger years (still being older than the most). Maybe I am that, but not all. I never saw one collapse. Hit the head on the keyboard and wake up with headache, often saw that

edit on 24-3-2014 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 07:19 AM
link   
That's equivalent to 17 8-ounce cups of coffee, give or take depending on the caffeine level. I pull about 20 cups every day on average (keeping in mind that my mug is 14 ounces, so 9 or 10 of my mugs) Some days, I down nearly double. After a while, you develop a strong tolerance to the caffeine and drink the coffee for the luscious, luscious flavor instead of the buzz. Maybe the kid had a really low tolerance for stimulants, or maybe his kidneys said bleep off over the vitamins (that is an awful lot of B vites, for example) The most energy drinks I've had in a day are 4 of the biggie Monsters back to back, on top of my normal coffee intake, and other than peeing like a racehorse, nothing came of it (not even an energy burst
)
edit on 3/24/2014 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 07:21 AM
link   

There was a woman last week round my end that died like 5 times from mixing vodka with cheap energy drink on night out, apparently after the alcohol wore off she had massive heart attacks, She all good now tho.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Most adult's do not touch these drink's but they are targeted at the youth even though it is unethical to provide them to children and A major supermarket chain were I used to work as security would not sell them to anyone under 16 even though it was not illegal to do so, though they did leave it up to the staff members discretion.
Think about it like this, a young person get's a buzz out of this drink but there body is still growing and there hormones and body chemistry (homeostasis) is still in flux so what are the implication's of ingesting this type of substance in the long term as it is packed with artificial or animal hormone's (Tourine used to be extracted from bull semen - hence Taur-(Taurus the bull)-ine but I think it may now be artificially produced.
Then of course the sugers can affect both the pancreas and liver as well as other organ's.
Whomever hosted this lan party though and if an adult or company, should be held accountable as a child this young at only 14 staying up that long is harmful to there health anyway and a little parental discipline for the sake of the child never really did any harm.

Also in the uk these drink's have also been linked to anti social behaviour, I really don't buy into that and think it is more bored youth with no amenity's and a society which does not value it's youth as it should so these kid's are bored already and then hyperactive with the semi high these drink's give them.

But drinking this much is almost lethal and may have caused permanent damage to this poor kid.

This is not the Dumb hurting themselves, this is a child making a mistake and whomever provided this energy drink is to blame, we all spent our pocket money on sweet's, we all made ourselves feel a little sick with too much chocolate at least once and this poor lad is only 14 so I hope his organ's have not suffered permanent damage as at 14 they may recover, I know I would never allow my children to drink that filth though.

edit on 24-3-2014 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   

BoovDawg

There was a woman last week round my end that died like 5 times from mixing vodka with cheap energy drink on night out, apparently after the alcohol wore off she had massive heart attacks, She all good now tho.

that's a separate issue but good point of the dangers of said mix. Alcohol leaves the body quicker than most other drugs. your body uses coping mechanisms to not go unconscious (alcohol is a CNS). As the slowness wears off the coping mechanisms (stimulants) don't slow down enough and combine with the energy drinks... Very Dangerous.

But as to the story here. This was a ONE night LAN party? Maybe Call of Duty sucks or something, but I've never had to even try to be awake and alert playing video games. It's always that strange moment between games when you all the sudden realize you havn't been to the bathroom in 6 hours and there seems to be a light on outside burning your eyes through the curtains haha..

edit on 24-3-2014 by KnightLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 07:30 AM
link   
What a weakling, 4L is nothing.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   
there are alot of things that will cause the ol kiddlies to crap out
jumping to the conclusion that it was the last thing consumed is kinda like saying jesus died from the last supper
he should have lasted a couple days on that cross, but as the story goes; he only hung in there for a few hours

do people blame what ever potion he had consumed from the holy grail?
hell no!
see the holy grail thread: now everybody wants some...!

which brings me to the subject of deathwish advertising

the mass marketers have ben airbrushing skulls into the art work for decades now...
why?
becasue : sell the shizle not the steak

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Danbones
there are alot of things that will cause the ol kiddlies to crap out
jumping to the conclusion that it was the last thing consumed is kinda like saying jesus died from the last supper
he should have lasted a couple days on that cross, but as the story goes; he only hung in there for a few hours

do people blame what ever potion he had consumed from the holy grail?
hell no!
see the holy grail thread: now everybody wants some...!

which brings me to the subject of deathwish advertising

the mass marketers have ben airbrushing skulls into the art work for decades now...
why?
becasue : sell the shizle not the steak

Man, if the kids 14 year metabolism couldn't handle the caffeine and the sugars in such concentrated levels it would explain why -

"One of Dahl’s doctors, Dr. Anne Kathrine Duns, said that the teen’s condition was so severe he could have died.
It was severely life-threatening,” said Duns. “The central nervous system, cardiovascular system, lungs, and kidneys were affected.”

Basically all of the major organs were affected by this crap..

MONSTER ENERGY DRINK AND HOSPITALIZATIONS

QUOTE -"Between 2004 and 2012, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration received 21 reports from doctors or hospitals connecting Red Bull with a long list of symptoms, including fatigue, dizziness, chest pain and more, records show."

But the numbers might be much higher than that. The FDA has previously confirmed 18 deaths that had a suspected link to energy drinks, and in a 2009 federal study, 13,000 emergency room visits were associated with the consumption of such beverages

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I find most of these things to be really nasty.

You want to be painfully alert for a bit, there is a simple answer. Take some Alertec and chase it with about 2 grams of tyrosine and an espresso.

That is the secret to life. You'll be a sad panda later, but you will be wired and inspired for about 12 hours after you were on your last legs to start with. Don't expect to be a good shot or to have fine motor control, though.

I'm really surprised that energy drinks bother with glucoronolactone at all. It's not in it with tyrosine and caffeine. Mix a big dose of those two, especially on an empty stomach, and you will not only be wide ass awake you will be ricocheting off the walls.

edit on 24-3-2014 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I hope he will be okay but who drinks a gallon of anything without reading the label that says it might be bad for you?

how often to you hear of a person dieing from eating raw coffee beans? NONE because its insanely stupid.

This is simple Darwinism at work.

I hope hes okay, and if he is, he will probably still be an idiot.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   
water can kill you if you drink enough of it.

even 1 liter of energy drink is too much but still acceptable.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   

I'm in Norway, and have been for the past decade. I don't want to offend any Norwegians, so if look away now.

Parenting in Norway is idiotic. People complain about parenting in the states, but I never knew too many kids that were out drinking, smoking, and having sex at age fourteen as I've seen here. I'm not saying every fourteen year old is doing this, but I will bet you my last dollar (eller krone) that the statistics are fare higher per capita than state side.

My point is, is where are the parents? It's easy to blame the energy drink for killing the boy. But common sense should have been part of this kids upbringing. Something I see very lacking in Norway on a very wide spectrum.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   

good points Andy

Prescription drugs taken as prescribed in hospitals are the fourth leading cause of death in the US and Canada, after cancer, heart disease and strokes. They cause about 10,000 deaths a year in Canada and about 106,000 deaths a year and over two million serious injuries in the US. As many as another 10,000 deaths a year in Canada are thought to occur outside hospitals due to the wrong drug, dosage errors and adverse reactions. One out of four admissions to internal medicine in Canadian hospitals is related to prescription drugs, of which 70% are preventable. Canadians now spend more on prescription drugs ($24 billion) than we do on doctors ($18 billion).
All drugs cause adverse effects. The only difference between a drug and a poison is dosage. Many drugs are marketed at dosages that are risky for many patients, referred to as a narrow therapeutic index. Sixteen major drugs have been pulled off the North American market since 1997 for injuring or killing patients including the drug that killed Vanessa Young – Prepulsid. Vioxx alone may have [color]killed 55,000-65,000 patients before being withdrawn by the manufacturer, Merck, in 2004.

I can see why you are so concerned about energy drinks

i wonder if; what other drugs that kid was on?

edit on Monam3b20143America/Chicago04 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Danbones

good points Andy

Prescription drugs taken as prescribed in hospitals are the fourth leading cause of death in the US and Canada, after cancer, heart disease and strokes. They cause about 10,000 deaths a year in Canada and about 106,000 deaths a year and over two million serious injuries in the US. As many as another 10,000 deaths a year in Canada are thought to occur outside hospitals due to the wrong drug, dosage errors and adverse reactions. One out of four admissions to internal medicine in Canadian hospitals is related to prescription drugs, of which 70% are preventable. Canadians now spend more on prescription drugs ($24 billion) than we do on doctors ($18 billion).
All drugs cause adverse effects. The only difference between a drug and a poison is dosage. Many drugs are marketed at dosages that are risky for many patients, referred to as a narrow therapeutic index. Sixteen major drugs have been pulled off the North American market since 1997 for injuring or killing patients including the drug that killed Vanessa Young – Prepulsid. Vioxx alone may have [color]killed 55,000-65,000 patients before being withdrawn by the manufacturer, Merck, in 2004.

I can see why you are so concerned about energy drinks

i wonder if; what other drugs that kid was on?

edit on Monam3b20143America/Chicago04 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

Well, if what our esteemed colleague AURICOM says above is true, the kid could have been taking anything alongside it.

Everybodies different Dan, we all react differently to caffeine and other stimulants..

Lack off sleep + 4 litres of monster + a childs metabolism = near death experience

One things certain...he won't be doing it again..

Another side of the coin 16 hours of playing C.O.D straight isn't healthy either..If the kids a couch potato not acostumed to exercise, then the shock of his heart rate shooting through the roof was probably enough to send the rest of his body into overdrive.
edit on AM1Mon20141972 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   

BoovDawg

I eventually started to get heart pains from drinking vodka redbulls at the bars...needless to say I gave that sh#t up long ago.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   
If we consume too much cyanocobolamin it can cause problems, the cyanide breaks off and makes us thirsty. The taurine coupled with the salt in these drinks makes the kidneys function more as it takes the toxins out of the cells too fast where they can build up if the kidneys do not excrete them properly. There are different ways that a person can get sick from overconsuming these energy drinks. These are just two examples, I know a few more.

Energy drinks are good occasionally, especially if you do not get enough taurine in your diet. We do not need much taurine, we can produce it from NAC. You still need to consume foods with NAC in them, rare meats, over easy eggs, or soups made a certain way is a good source. Consuming too much of these can also lead to problems, twice a week is fine in any combination.
edit on 24-3-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   
A few years back I caught myself drinking a little to much beer, about 4 tall boys a night, I didn't think much of it since it was over the span of about 5-6 hours after work, I never felt 'drunk' at all through that time, just buzzed.
I went to the doctor for an exam and he noticed my liver enzymes were a little off the path, and first thing he asked me was if I was a heavy drinker. I told him and he told me to cut down.
So, I asked him for some tips on how to slowly get off the stuff, and he said to drink other beverages other than beer, lots of water, but one to two BOTTLES of beer was fine a day. So I found myself drinking water all day while at work, an a fizzy drink or two after work and maybe a bottle of beer. When I went back to get a check up I was actually in WORSE condition than I was when drinking the beer. He played it off as my body 're-adjusting' itself, so I kept on the same path about a can of coke a night, sometimes a red bull, something to keep that motion of me drinking something that wasn't beer. When I went back for my second checkup I had been technically 'sober' for a few months by then and my condition with my liver and kidneys were not worse but not better than the times I was drinking beer.

Long story short. What was the problem? SUGAR. yes that stuff is nasty. After my doctor found out I was drinking just even ONE can of coke a day he said my already fragile state actually got worse because of the stuff. When he told me this I went straight home threw out anything high in sugar, and vowed to never drink or eat anything with the dreaded high modified corn startches.
Only fluids that touch my lips are beer, and water. Ever since then my liver is back to normal and my kidneys are functioning perfect.

Moral of the story, everything in moderation, but some of the stuff we made or modify, or alter to please us, or make us feel better is something we should never be intaking at all. After I found out what high-fructose corn syrup was and trans fats. I was disgusted that I used to drink soda as a kid or ate margarine, or T/V dinners. That stuff literally pickles your insides.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join