It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sniper

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 03:27 PM
link   
I have been reading a book about WW2 Russian snipers. One story that stuck out to me was that of a lady sniper. Lyudmila Mykhailivna Pavlichenko

Lyudmila Mykhailivna Pavlichenko was born in the Ukrainian town of Belaya Tserkov on July 12th, 1916. She moved to Kiev with her family at the age of fourteen. There she joined a shooting club and developed into a sharpshooter, while working as a grinder at the Kiev Arsenal factory. In June 1941, 24-year old Pavlichenko was in her fourth year of studying history at the Kiev University when Nazi Germany began its invasion of the Soviet Union. Pavlichenko was among the first round of volunteers at the recruiting office, where she requested to join the infantry and subsequently she was assigned to the Red Army’s 25th Rifle Division

In one of the battles, Pavlichenko replaced the batallion commander killed during the fight and was later wounded but refused to leave the battlefield.

Lieutenant Pavlichenko participated in battles in Moldavia and Odessa. When the Germans gained control of Odessa, her unit was pulled to be sent to Sevastopol on the Crimean Peninsula, where she fought for more than 8 months. Her total confirmed kills during World War II was 309 ,Including 36 enemy snipers. Besides, she became an instructor and trained Soviet snipers until the war’s end.

Pavlichenko would “go hunting” either alone or with Leonid Kutsenko – who joined the division together with her. Everyday at dawn lying still for hours or days waiting for an enemy. She often emerged the victor fighting a duel with German snipers.

Once the two snipers were spotted by German officers who opened mortar fire. Leonid was badly wounded and Pavlichenko managed to evacuate him from the battlefield but he still didn’t survive.

Since then, she would fight even more courageously taking vengeance on the enemy for her late friend.

In June 1942, Pavlichenko was wounded by mortar fire. Because of her growing status, she was pulled from combat less than a month after recovering from her wound.

Pavlichenko was sent to Canada and the United States for a publicity visit and became the first Soviet citizen to be received by a U.S. President when Franklin Roosevelt welcomed her at the White House. Later, Pavlichenko was invited by Eleanor Roosevelt to tour America relating her experiences.
........So this inspired me to come up with this piece. Trying to get into her mind a little i guess lol...Anyway here goes

Quietly moving in
Inching Ever Closer

Patience is the key
Today a life is over

The unforgiving angel of death
Gently lurks above ye

Moving through the forest
Chasing shadows through the trees

I wonder if you know im here
If someone's watching me

Getting in position
Through the scope i see

Finger on the trigger
Sweat beads getting bigger

A shoot to kill policy
Prisoners dont figure

One last deep breath
Time to make a bloody mess

The cracking sound of gunfire
Causes panic down below

Body falls stone dead to ground
Me to blame i know

Quick pull back on the bolt
A second roaring shot

Another fallen enemy
Did he deserve what he just got?

Confusion on the ground beneath me
Time to slip away

Moving at a steady pace
Today it was my day

Next time it could well be me
Face to face with death

Me who falls straight to the ground
And draws her final breath
edit on 3 23 2014 by TheDoctor46 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TheDoctor46

Doc, wonderful. Great story.

You are a very good writer.

edit to add S & F
edit on 23-3-2014 by DaphneApollo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Was a sniper myself for some time and I am familiar with her story...huge fan of her....if you ever google female snipers there are quite a few stories out there and phenomenal ones at that....I sometimes think the job the fits females better than males...since it requires more patience and is very personal....

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by DaphneApollo

Hi Daphne. As always thanks for stopping by
. Thanks for saying that. It always takes me a while to hit that "Post" button in here lol. Many times i have deleted what i have written and not bothered. Sometimes you just have to do it

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmicexplorer

Hi there. Yes there are a lot of female snipers i have read about. And all with amazing stories. And i agree females are probably more patient for the role. I must admit i would most likely fall asleep or just get up to stretch and have my head blown off...Now thats not good

posted on Mar, 23 2014 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Hey Doc,

Thank you for the background on your poem, as it made it so much more powerful to understand what you were drawing from.
I had never heard of this woman, and I find it amazing that Russians were utilizing women for battle when the US felt we were too, I don't know, too much the lesser sex?

It would take nerves of steel, the patience of a stalking lioness, and some kind of inner conviction, I would imagine, in addition to the talent, to be a great sniper. Thanks for the poem! I appreciate it...

- AB

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 04:00 AM
link   
A simply wonderful story.
What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.
...Then gets you pulled from combat because you're an icon of hope.

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TheDoctor46

That was really good my friend. I didn't know you were reading about that. That's cool and very informing.

You did a very nice job with the poem as if it were her.

Thanks for sharing the info you learned and sharing your talent with poetry.

Have a lovely day

-nat

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by AboveBoard

Hi there. Thanks for dropping in. Yes it sure is an amazing story about her. I thought i would share a little about her before the poem. Kinds of leads you in

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by AnarchistoOfTheNorth

Thank you for your comments. The are much appreciated. And im glad you liked it

posted on Mar, 24 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by natalia

I only recently got the book and read on her. I had heard of her before, But decided to dive deeper. Im always happy when you stop by to comment. Thank you

new topics

top topics

join