It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The book of Enoch was the source of the biblical angelic names Michael and Gabriel.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   
With the movie “Noah” coming out soon I thought I first mention some important aspects of the plot which also mention fallen angels by name.

Noah (film)

The movie is loosely based off the apocryphal book of Enoch. The principle male characters in the movie are Noah and Methuselah. Noah is played by Russell Crow and Methuselah is played by Anthony Hopkins. The Genesis account describes Noah’s lineage this way: Noah>Lamech>Methuselah>Enoch. The book of Enoch reveals that a proclamation of judgment upon the earth was during Enoch’s lifetime.

Enoch’s story is quite interesting because early on in the work it is revealed that the problem all started when 200 angels descended onto a mountain called Hermon. They all made a pact with each other at that location. Those angels materialized and took human women as wives. These angels also taught men all sorts of crafts, including how to make implements of war.

The love of warfare was the primary reason for the judgment against the people and the angels. Enoch reported that the highest crime against God was the learning of war. For this reason a special punishment was selected for the angel that instructed mankind on how to make weapons. The leader of the fallen angels was Samyaza and the angel who taught war craft was Azazyel or Azazel.

Azazel

Now to the point, angelic names are not mentioned in the Old Testament until after the Jewish release from Babylonian exile. The name Michael and Gabriel are first heard by the biblical character Daniel, who was also a Jew held in this captivity. These two good angels are mentioned later in New Testament books: Luke, Jude and Revelation. The book of Enoch mentions five good angels. Their names are: Michael, Gabriel, Raphael, Suryal and Uriel.

Michael

Gabriel

It is my belief that the book of Enoch originally came from an ancient library in Babylon. Since the writer of Luke, Jude and Revelation saw the importance of retelling these angelic names then there might be more to Enoch than what we are told. It's worth mentioning that even Jude quoted from the book of Enoch at Jude 14-15

The subject of Archangel has some good links on the matter.
Archangel

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Great Post!

The Apocrypha is an interesting and somewhat taboo. I have a coworker that's interested in it heavily along with other gnostic texts. For me its hard to break the taboo, there is some reason these books weren't included in the canon. But was that to keep something hidden or to guard from something.

Anyway the movie looks interesting and I'll be seeing it. Also interesting hypothesis about Daniel, worth looking into.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I dunno..

Gabriel is mentioned first in Daniel 8, 16 - so the question is asked.. which came first the Book of Daniel or Enoch?

Edit:

My research shows Enoch written around 300 BC and Danial well it's up for guesses.. Some place it as early as 165 BC but others place it around 540 BC which would make it older than Enoch.
edit on 20-3-2014 by JohnPhoenix because: addition

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by YoComrade

Thanks. I wondered that too about the Apocrypha. Are they hiding it away from sensitive eyes or is the subject matter to radical?

A portion of the book of Enoch was also found with the Dead Sea Scrolls: Enoch CHAP. VII. [SECT. II. 2]

www.sacred-texts.com...

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Daniel writes that as he was by the river Chebar he observed an watcher AND an angel approach him.....
This makes me think that the two classes of being are not the same.......or that the angel he saw was not the same as the watchers......
Whatever......Enochs story is full of some heavy lines......

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 11:19 PM
link   

JohnPhoenix
I dunno..

Gabriel is mentioned first in Daniel 8, 16 - so the question is asked.. which came first the Book of Daniel or Enoch?

That's a good question. Why does the angel naming start with Daniel? Maybe he read Enoch at Babylon and the names were on his mind. Since Enoch had many different angelic names in his work he could be the source.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   

stirling
Daniel writes that as he was by the river Chebar he observed an watcher AND an angel approach him.....
This makes me think that the two classes of being are not the same.......or that the angel he saw was not the same as the watchers......
Whatever......Enochs story is full of some heavy lines......

Is a Watcher supposed to be one of the good guys like Michael and Gabriel? Or is a Watcher one of the fallen angels that watched women?

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Cant figure that out........Lost.....the story doesn't tell that part.........

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   

lostinspace

JohnPhoenix
I dunno..

That's a good question. Why does the angel naming start with Daniel? Maybe he read Enoch at Babylon and the names were on his mind. Since Enoch had many different angelic names in his work he could be the source.

Have you actually read through Daniel? It's written largely in 1st person with the story telling as if Danial was there.. He speaks of events we know are dated to around 600 BC. If the latter date is correct this would make sense. Those events would be fresh in his mind such as something happening in the 40's or 50's would be for adults today.

If so, perhaps this is the first time in His recent history the Hebrews encountered Angels.

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Now i am a big fan of Enoch, but he, like the arc has nothing to do with chistianity, if there is anything in the bible that has its roots in enoch it is likely to be quite misconstrued

A recently deciphered 4,000-year-old clay tablet from ancient Mesopotamia — modern-day Iraq — reveals striking new details about the roots of the Old Testament tale of Noah. It tells a similar story, complete with detailed instructions for building a giant round vessel known as a coracle — as well as the key instruction that animals should enter “two by two.”

Finkel got hold of it a few years ago, when a man brought in a damaged tablet his father had acquired in the Middle East at the end of World War II. It was light brown, about the size of a mobile phone and covered in the jagged cuneiform script of the ancient Mesopotamians.
It turned out, Finkel said, to be “one of the most important human documents ever discovered.”

Finkel is aware his discovery may cause consternation among believers in the biblical story. When 19th-century British Museum scholars first learned from cuneiform tablets that the Babylonians had a flood myth, they were disturbed by its striking similarities to the story of Noah.
“Already in 1872 people were writing about it in a worried way — what does it mean that holy writ appears on this piece of Weetabix?” he joked, referring to a cereal similar in shape to the tablet.
Finkel has no doubts.
“I'm sure the story of the flood and a boat to rescue life is a Babylonian invention,” he said.
He believes the tale was likely passed on to the Jews during their exile in Babylon in the 6th century B.C.
And he doesn't think the tablet provides evidence the ark described in the Bible existed. He said it's more likely that a devastating real flood made its way into folk memory, and has remained there ever since.
“I don't think the ark existed — but a lot of people do
triblive.com...

eta
ask your selves this?
why are they called ANgels

since Daniel is my namesake my research indicates the root of the word similarly is dANiel
edit on Thupm3b20143America/Chicago16 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 11:47 PM
link   
OK Dan yer a descendant of angels.....

Is the hero called utinapshin by any chance instead of noah?
Then that would be Sumerian I believe....
edit on 20-3-2014 by stirling because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2014 @ 11:50 PM
link   
watcher

The apocryphal Books of Enoch (1st and 2nd centuries BC) refer to both good and bad Watchers, with a primary focus on the rebellious ones.

en.wikipedia.org...(angel)

according to edgar case and my own private sources, there were two factions in pre flood atlANtis: the sons of balial and the sons of the law of one...the sons of belial being your rebelious ones.

and just to skewer sitchen the igigi were not astronauts..it appears igigi is a mathmatically related term indicating they were the sumerian accountants who scribed the tallies on the clay tablets, and they have also been interpreted as watchers
edit on Thupm3b20143America/Chicago23 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   

stirling
OK Dan yer a descendant of angels.....

Is the hero called utinapshin by any chance instead of noah?
Then that would be Sumerian I believe....
edit on 20-3-2014 by stirling because: (no reason given)

hey just because im golden...
i prefer to think of it as me being the evolution of...
well, as the commercial claims...I'm gellin

it looks like Finkel thinks the mesopotamian version came first

The tablet records a Mesopotamian god's instructions for building a giant vessel ....

....The flood story recurs in later Mesopotamian writings including “Epic of Gilgamesh.” These versions lack the technical instructions — cut out, Finkel believes, because they got in the way of the storytelling.
triblive.com...

i think we are dealing with a preflood civilization....a small contingent of which survived the flood myth as the god myth...
i think enoch can be translated as such too...our giant red haired mummies or the coneheads may be connected because in some myths "noahpishtim" is warned to watch the sky for the signs of the approach of the flood...

and i did kinda find proof that there are harbors at 7000 years ago on the edge of the secondary continental shelf, and white red haired mummies in florida at the same time verified- Windover
proof of your flood

got link if interested
edit on Friam3b20143America/Chicago15 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

btw fands op...but I think the whole deal needs a slight reexamination in light of the recent developements
edit on Friam3b20143America/Chicago43 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

there is also a primary continental shelf indicateing two floods..but the under water habitations found are on the shallower shelf I think
a good diagram for illustration purposes - en.wikipedia.org...:Southeastern_United_States_continental_shelf.jpg
edit on Friam3b20143America/Chicago46 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by lostinspace

A very intriguing text, the first recovered though they had known of it's existence there were no known surviving copy's until they found one in the possession of the ethiopian orthodox church, later another at Qumran which was almost identical, according to what scholars believe it was one of the books which was deliberately left out of the bible when it was compiled.
There are other references to the being's in the bible in other texts and in quabalistic tradition, the traditions of the samaritans whom were both of isrealite descent and of poor judaean descent (so where not taken captive to babylon with the noble's and the wealthy) often matched these as well though after the exile they never really got on with the Jew's as there traditions had changed (they still worshiped in an older -pre babylonian exile- fashion) and today there descendants whom overwhealmingly became christian later converted to islam under the usual convert or die of there later conquerer's, though some christian tribes lingered even up until the state of Israel and may still exist in small numbers today, there are still christian arab's.
As I remember one of the reasons it is not spoken of today is the description of the sons of god as blonde and blue eyed and how Enoch was told not to reject Noah whom he took to be one of there son's at first because Noah too was described as golden haired and blue eyed and looked unlike Enoch but like the son's of God, which by inference meant Enock was dark eyed and dark haired, Of course you yourself see the problem, in an age after the holocaust and the appologetic stance the west took in it's own shame at the attempted extermination of a people as well as the slavery (Which actually went both way's with the north african arab's enslaving millions of southern europeans for hundreds of years) and there shame over this, they did not want to be associated with any claim's which the neo fascists would make based on this text and there subsiquent likely claim to angelic ancestry (Fallen angel's remember) and Hitler's propeganda machine never had the text as it was found after the Nazi era was over.
Anyway the film look's interesting and I can't wait to see it, but wish old cecil be de mills was around to make it as the ten commandments true to the book or not was and still is one of the greatest movies ever made.

S+F

HERE IS A PDF site for anyone wanting to read the book of Enoch.
www.forbiddengate.com...

edit on 21-3-2014 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by LABTECH767

the translations of WA waddel indicate the rulling race which seems have broght preflood civilization to summeria, then egypt, etc were ARYAN GOTHS who were like all the pic of jebus blue eyed...etc
for example sargon the great was the original moses it looks like
summery
aryan-myth-and-metahistory.blogspot.ca...
long version
archive.org...
got links to the blue eyed stuff LT?
i have a use for those if you do
edit on Friam3b20143America/Chicago28 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Your lineage is incorrect. I'm not one to ever post in Religions. But growing up in christian school and have other kooks in my life calling themselves ministers, pastors, etc, you have it wrong. Do a bit of research please.

I don't know if your spouting bible babble BS or excited to post your thread, but its incorrect.

Just thought I'd point out the obvious BS before your too involved.

Care to re-phrase?

Its too convenient to move around names and event to fit the plot and criteria to make money. Most of it is false.

Enoch was my favorite banned book of the bible... funny that I haven't read yet of the really crazy stuff mentioned of Enoch's travels.

He was the most interesting subject in the times of history to me, more than Jesus IMO.
edit on 21-3-2014 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Then how about some details as YOU know them to be?

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 03:26 AM
link   

stirling

If your referring to me, I was raised on the KJV. If you look it up the OP if misinformed. Although, every view, idea, and perspective is different.

I could care less, I don't believe in Jesus anyhow. There's no proof of his existence to begin with is what I was told, take it on faith it what every priest, minister, pastor has said to me growing up. They agree with me, but they have faith and I choose not to accept fairytales.

Push, pull, up, down, ying, yang.... etc

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 04:52 AM
link   

These kind of topics really needs large kind of articles to give the stories real credit and meaning. Writing shorter post (like this one) about it does not put everything into context and gives the reader just some highlights. Anyway. Here’s something of my own taughts about these issues.

The books of Enoch

The book of Enoch is referred to by “The testament of Dan”, “The testament of levi”, “The testament of Naphtali”, and “The testament of Simeon”.

www.sacred-texts.com...

For I have read in the book of Enoch, the righteous

www.sacred-texts.com...

For the house which the Lord shall choose shall be called Jerusalem, as is contained in the book of Enoch the righteous.

www.sacred-texts.com...

for I have read in the writing of Enoch that ye yourselves also shall depart from the Lord

www.sacred-texts.com...

For I have seen it inscribed in the writing of Enoch that your sons shall be corrupted in fornication, and shall do harm to the sons of Levi with the sword.

The twelve sons of Jacob (alias Israel) all lived about 640 years after the great flood or about 1300 years after the ascension of Enoch. This confirms that the books that Enoch wrote probably are pre-flood books written by the prophet himself and was available in it’s origin form at least 1300 years after he wrote them. In our days the book(s) of Enoch has survived as fragments. They are probably based on copies of the original or based on oral traditions (or both) . They comes in three different versions which actually are very different from each other in content. The first book of Enoch is the Ethiopian version and is claimed to be the most intact one. The second book of Enoch is the Slovenian version and is also called “the book of the secrets of Enoch”. The third book of Enoch is the Hebrew version. Some fragments of the book of Enoch is also found together with the dead sea scrolls. The first book of Enoch also contains a small section from the lost “book of Noah”, indicating that someone really made an effort to save the pieces of history that was still left.
I am aware that mainstream scholar’s claims that the great flood took place only some 4350 years ago. According to my studies it took place between 10000-14000 years ago.

The archangels

The archangels were alien senior officers in the Earth’s terra forming and colonization project . Their real title was Archons and they had 6 “wings” on each of their shoulders to visualize their rank. Those “wings” were insignias or symbols sown on the shoulders of their uniforms like our modern soldiers still use. Even Samael (Satan) was and archon before he rebelled and was expelled from “heaven”. It is commonly accepted that there only was 6 archangels. IMV. This is wrong. There probably was a lot more. We have a lot of names on aliens who was serving as archons from both the second and the third generation alien colonists (pre flood and post flood). The most important of them , or at least the ones that are mentioned the most are: Michael, Gabriel, Raphael and Uriel. Michael was “the second in command or the personal ambassador of “God”. Gabriel was head of the military forces. Raphael was head of medicin and Uriel was head of Astrology. Michael’s name was also Israel, and it was Michael who also gave Jacob his own name. Michael also was appointed as tutelary angel of Israel at the post flood meeting in Babel (Babylonia) when the Earth was divided. The Archons was only outranked by the Thrones, which were the ministers (ministering angels), which was those who were in charge of the earth projects

The watchers

The first book of Enoch claims that the amount of alien watchers who descended to earth to live amongst the human beings was about 200 persons. It also claims that the event took place in the days of Jared. Jared was (according to Genesis) born 460 years after the birth of Adam and lived 962 years. We do not know the exact time when the watchers ascended to earth, but if we assume that it happened some 300 years after the birth of jared , we can probably claim that it happened some 750 years after the birth of Adam or some 900 years before the great flood.

According to the text called “The testament of Solomon” the last remaining watcher (or possibly child of the watchers ?) was an alien called Beelzeboul. He and his men was helping Solomon to build the temple. That was about 2200 years after the 200 watchers descended to earth.

From the book of giants we can learn that the leader of the watchers (Semiazas) had two sons who were called Ohya and Ahya. Ahya also had two sons. They were called Sihon and Og (Ogias) and those are the two giants that are commonly reckoned as the last of the real giants (even though they were only about 4 meters high and about 2,5 wide). They were both killed in the war between the Israelites and the Canaanites tribes. Og and Sihon was both born before the great flood, and died about 750 years after this flood. If they were sons of Ahya, they were probably born some 500 years before the flood. This makes Og and Sihon at least 1200 years old. That’s the oldest living creatures we know about from the Bible.

The story of the watchers can be read in greater details in all the Sumerian tablets that are available online. They settled down in ancient Sumer and established kings and kingdoms and a system of royal nobles. The watchers mostly separated themselves from the human beings, but over time they eventually mingled with the human being races and thus giants and demigods was born. As time went by and the human beings started to multiply, the watchers singled out a group of the most resourceful and clever human beings and taught them how to read and write and gave them basic education. Some of them they elected as kings and some of them became priests. In this way two separate kingships arose. The alien watcher kings and their kingships, and the human being kings and their kingships. The Sumerian king lists only deals with the human being kings, starting with the pre flood antediluvian patriarchs who all lived in ancient Sumer up until the time of Noah.

The biblical texts and the Sumerian texts have very much in common, but as the biblical texts all tell the history of the human beings that the aliens created, the Sumerian texts mainly tells the story of the alien watchers.

Ps. I will probably not see the movie though, because it makes no sense for me to watch a movie that is entirely based on how mainstream has chosen to interpret the stories.

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 04:58 AM
link   

AK907ICECOLD

stirling

If your referring to me, I was raised on the KJV. If you look it up the OP if misinformed. Although, every view, idea, and perspective is different.

I could care less, I don't believe in Jesus anyhow. There's no proof of his existence to begin with is what I was told, take it on faith it what every priest, minister, pastor has said to me growing up. They agree with me, but they have faith and I choose not to accept fairytales.

Push, pull, up, down, ying, yang.... etc

State where and how the OP is ignorant. Failing to do so is a sure indication of your own ignorance.
Otherwise - keep quiet.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join