It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are so many people in the Finance industry committing suicide?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   

MARCH 12: Kenneth Bellando, 28, an investment banker at Levy Capital, was found dead on the sidewalk outside his building on Manhattan’s East Side, after allegedly jumping from the sixth-story roof, sources said.

MARCH 11: Edmund (Eddie) Reilly, 47, a trader at Midtown’s Vertical Group, jumped in front of an LIRR train near the Syosset, NY, train station.

FEB. 28:  Autumn Radtke, CEO of First Meta, a cyber-currency exchange firm, was found dead outside her Singapore apartment. The 28-year-old American jumped from a 25-story building, authorities said.

FEB. 18: Li Junjie, a 33-year-old JPMorgan finance pro, leaped to his death from the roof of the company’s 30-story Hong Kong office tower, authorities said.

 FEB. 3: Ryan Henry Crane, 37, a JPMorgan executive director who worked in New York, was found dead inside his Stamford, Conn., home. A cause of death in Crane’s case has yet to be determined as authorities await a toxicology report, a spokesperson for the Stamford Police Department said.

JAN. 31: Mike Dueker, 50, chief economist at Russell Investments and a former Federal Reserve bank economist, was found dead at the side of a road that leads to the Tacoma Narrows Bridge in Washington state after jumping a fence and falling down an embankment, according to the Pierce County Sheriff’s Department.

 JAN. 28: Gabriel Magee, 39, a vice president with JPMorgan’s corporate and investment bank technology arm in the UK, jumped to his death from the roof of the bank’s 33-story Canary Wharf tower in London.

JAN. 26: William Broeksmit, 58, a former senior risk manager at Deutsche Bank, was found hanged in a house in South Kensington, according to London police.

nypost.com...

So far this year, eight individuals from the finance industry have died in apparent suicides. Even more interesting is that most of them committed suicide by jumping to their deaths. I did some quick and dirty research on suicide methods. The most recent statistics that I can find which break out deaths by falls is from 2001.

www.suicide.org...

As you can see, death by falls makes up only 2.1% of the total. So it is increasingly odd that many individuals from the same industry just happen to be committing suicide by jumping.

Could these actually be murders to prevent these individuals from releasing some damning information to the public. Or could these people know something bad is about to happen and don't want to be around when it does. Or is it something else entirely?

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Well I'll tell you what it's not. Feeling of compassion, sorrow or any form of conscience for the inhumane and downright nasty methods and results their actions have cause to the worlds people.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Depression it happens, did most commit suicide in winter months? I bet you will see stats drop off over summer.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
Those of the wicked system of things.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
It is definitely odd that this is happening. Maybe they know something that we don't or like you said there being silenced. either way something is going to happen real soon and we will know why this is happening now.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackJackal

Could these actually be murders to prevent these individuals from releasing some damning information to the public. Or could these people know something bad is about to happen and don't want to be around when it does. Or is it something else entirely?

This has pretty well been gone over on many others forums related to these deaths.

I guess it boils down to each individual examining the 'facts' and drawing their own conclusions.
Personally, I have the utmost respect and awe for the one who committed suicide by shooting himself repeatedly in the stomach, then head with a nail gun. I used to perform tests to assess the function and quality of Hilti rounds, so I know just how 'easy' this would be to do. That's a statement like no other!

edit on 2u22America/Chicago311 by nugget1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2u22America/Chicago311 by nugget1 because: (no reason given)

link   
Suicide rates are increasing in general, especially amongst Baby Boomers.

www.nytimes.com...

When confronted with increasing suicide rates overall, especially in men, you're going to see suicides occurring in just about any field. The financial industry is the largest employer in the world with 5.7 million working within its services sector in 2010. Source Taking both the high number of employees and the increasing suicide rates, are the suicides within the financial industry really that interesting? The numbers of financial industry suicides v. the number of employees don't really seem that significant. Suicide rates of veterans, on the other hand, are really very significant.

link   
I'm in IT school right now and I just watched a webinar describing how the losses in the banking industry have multiplied by like ten or twenty fold to 60 billion in the US, 40 billion in UK , and 20 billion in Australia. That is over 120 billion dollars a YEAR in just the past few years " the Obama years" compared to the past with the advent of online banking, " theft". When this whole thing comes crashing down, I think these people would rather have a quick painless suicide as opposed to the torture the masses are going to inflict upon them when this become all to common knowledge.
edit on 18-3-2014 by DonVoigt because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   

DonVoigt
I'm in IT school right now and I just watched a webinar describing how the losses in the banking industry have multiplied by like ten or twenty fold to 60 billion in the US, 40 billion in UK , and 20 billion in Australia. That is over 120 billion dollars a YEAR in just the past few years " the Obama years" compared to the past with the advent of online banking, " theft". When this whole thing comes crashing down, I think these people would rather have a quick painless suicide as opposed to the torture the masses are going to inflict upon them when this become all to common knowledge.
edit on 18-3-2014 by DonVoigt because: (no reason given)

Shooting oneself with a nail gun is not 'quick and painless'.
Jumping out of a window? Ditto. You still might survive long enough to regret it....
Self-inflicted gunshot wound? Maybe a better option, but sometimes you live.....
Drug overdose? You might start throwing up before the deed is done.....
Hanging? Probably the best choice for someone of the intellectual caliber we are considering.

I'm far from being a brainiac, but I can see that their chosen methods of 'committing suicide' lack intelligent thought.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Jumping off a building is normally a heat of the moment suicide. Could be they're finding out that they're going to be a fall guy.

The nail-gun one I remember, it's just nuts to shoot your self with a nail-gun as a way to end your live. There are so many less painful way to go about it.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Or maybe it is a 'culling of the herd' and they were not suicides at all.

I get the feeling those who may be privy to information they've either received or stumbled across are one question away from being 'suicided'.

Maybe one or more of those in this list did just that . . . asked one too many questions.

Or maybe they just screwed over so many people to get where they were, they couldn't stand to look in the mirror one more time and chose the suck-ass way out instead of either facing the music or making efforts to right some terrible wrongs.

Either way, you reap what you sew.

Just sayin'

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Without some real investigation (not the usual police knee-jerk 'suicide' assessment made after someone shoots themselves twice in the back of the head) we'll never know.

But someone with real money to spare, even if they were caught up in some web that they were very frightened of, could up and disappear pretty easily.

Someone who had a sudden attack of conscience could go out of the business and find something worthwhile to do instead.

Throwing people off buildings and shooting them repeatedly with a nailgun are Mafia-famous ways of committing an unsolvable murder and making an example of someone to teach others a lesson.

Finally, seriously high income levels are often associated with coc aine use, which can make people quite psychotic, quite quickly.

If it's whistleblowers being silenced, we'll likely never know what's going on.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I'm just gonna repost what I said last week.

Qumulys
I'm getting a little agitated at the media focusing on banker/trader suicides. Looking at a much bigger picture shows a massive world-wide problem.

Suicide takes the lives of nearly 30,000 Americans every year.

Many who attempt suicide never seek professional care.

There are twice as many deaths due to suicide than HIV/AIDS.

Approx 30,000 Americans go by way of suicide every year. The financial sector is a large percentile of the population, about 6% which equals on a rough calculation about 1800 of those suicides. 1800 per year from the finance sector.
It's massive, but only a small number of those are making the news and the ones that are (suicide) are in mostly finance. It's not balanced, nor fair and plays on people worries and creates uncertainty in a already wonky/fear based economy. What about the other 28,200 suicides? Let's shine light on the shoulders of those driven to take their own lives and give them support and help, not to sell papers and create an atmosphere.

In 2004, 32,439 people died by suicide. (CDC)

Suicide is the 11th leading cause of death in the U.S. (homicide is 15th). (CDC)

Suicide is the 3rd leading cause of death for 15- to 24-year-old Americans. (CDC)

It is estimated that there are at least 4.5 million survivors in this country. (AAS)

An average of one person dies by suicide every 16.2 minutes. (CDC, AAS)

There are four male suicides for every female suicide. (CDC, AAS)

Link for Source
edit on 13-3-2014 by Qumulys because: forgot source link

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Fire? Geez, I'd never opt out by means of fire. Must be painful as hell.
Gun, or overdose, would be my method, but I'd never get to the point haha.

But back on topic. It's nothing new. I actually met an investment banker a few times with some drinking buddies, two years ago he killed himself. Apparently working 80+ hours a week and people constantly sending him literal deaththreats was not what he expected to be in his job description. It's a tough industry. I just think the media is just focusing on it a little more than they used to, giving the illusion it's happening out of the blue.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by nugget1

I never said that they were smart, my point was that what is going to happen to them by an angry mob is worse than suicide. An angry mob is far more ruthless than jumping to your death or shooting yourself.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackJackal

Maybe there's a memo being circulated through the finance industry that states suicide by bankers should be primarily a jump to the death.

Maybe

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Qumulys

Qumulys
I'm getting a little agitated at the media focusing on banker/trader suicides. Looking at a much bigger picture shows a massive world-wide problem.

Approx 30,000 Americans go by way of suicide every year. The financial sector is a large percentile of the population, about 6% which equals on a rough calculation about 1800 of those suicides. 1800 per year from the finance sector.
It's massive, but only a small number of those are making the news and the ones that are (suicide) are in mostly finance. It's not balanced, nor fair and plays on people worries and creates uncertainty in a already wonky/fear based economy. What about the other 28,200 suicides? Let's shine light on the shoulders of those driven to take their own lives and give them support and help, not to sell papers and create an atmosphere.

Suicide is the 11th leading cause of death in the U.S. (homicide is 15th). (CDC)

Suicide is the 3rd leading cause of death for 15- to 24-year-old Americans. (CDC)

It is estimated that there are at least 4.5 million survivors in this country. (AAS)

Link for Source

Yah...how many from a nail gun like 6 shots.
lol

They found Jon Corzine's kid dead last week...apparent suicide.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Being retired maybee..i wonder what the suicide ratio was in previous years. Its kind of like what ive read about the extremly high ratio of scientists who worked on the "star wars" program that have commited "suicide"

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 07:10 PM
link   

BABYBULL24

Qumulys

Qumulys

Link for Source

Yah...how many from a nail gun like 6 shots.
lol

They found Jon Corzine's kid dead last week...apparent suicide.

With your avatar, I have to wonder why anyone's questioning what's happening.
sorry, don't mean to hit you with the "avatar ax", cause I see many more duplicitous responses to issues when combining the avatar with the response, but……
No harm intended.
Tetra

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 07:11 PM
link   
well kiddies if a banker has to have a nail gun for christmas
make sure it has a full sequential trigger

don't give them a bump fire gun
make them wear their safety harnesses at all times when working higher then the first floor of any building

get them a food taster but don't tell the food taster that he is a food taster
just call it a free lynch....
I mean lunch

top topics

<<   2 >>

join