It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what would be the cause for this "obese" kid?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Wow...yes the context of being an infant is extremely important. With that added information, most of my post is irrelevant and aimed at a child of older maturity. Age 2+ and beyond.

At 2 months, allergic reactions could be causes. That is where breast milk plays an important role that for some reason is tossed aside. Beyond coming from a natural source, it provides a balance of everything the infant needs from his or her local environment that a formula can never give. Things like allergies sometimes show up in humans because they were never exposed to the causes in the first place, creating the lack of a properly built immune system.

But don't take my word for it.
Doctors know best.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by generik

Have a look at the paleo blueprint, marks daily apple.
its quite likely that the young lad can't handle the modern, carb rich diet.

Give him more meat, leafy greens and fruit and he'll be fine.

(post by AprilFooseball removed for a manners violation)

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   

generik

Char-Lee
reply to post by generik

How old is the child? A rolly polly toddler was once consider the healthy child and was the average.

I have seen many chubby little ones grow up to be thin.

oh i understand about "chubby" kids, have seem many in my life, but this one is far beyond any "chubbiness" i have ever seen. chubby kids are still cute, but this one just looks gross, and has caused me no end of worry since i saw the picture.

When my kids were little their pediatrician watched their weight like a hawk. My kids were always perfect weight but I was very dedicated and a stay at home Mother.
Does the child have a Dr?

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   

AzureSky
If its microwavable its contributing
if its a breakfast cereal
if it contains wheat or grain
If it contains refined sugar

Essentially.
Fatness is not a genetic trait.

It sounds like a grain issue, a lot of people have what is called wheat belly. Try the ketogenic diet, or recommend it. Eating a slice of bread is like drinking a can of coke. He may have a gluten allergy or something as well also contributing. There are certain diseases that do make people gain weight though. They are rare.
edit on 17/3/14 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

Genetics may influence appetite and eating behavior in young children in ways that lead to accelerated weight gain that can, in turn, lead to obesity, according to results from 2 studies published online February 17 in JAMA Pediatrics.

www.medscape.com...

Many studies say notherwise

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by maria_stardust

Has he started crawling, walking or running yet?

At 2 months!LOL

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 01:32 PM
link   

generik
we have all heard of and seen signs of the obesity "epidemic". there has been plenty of thought to the causes of it. things like overeating, junk food, fast food, sugar intake etc. some of us buy this, some of us don't. but i have to wonder about the cause in this particular case.

one of my relatives has a child, and as a lot of parents do they post lots of pictures of their offspring. well the other night a picture was posted of their child that about made me want to throw up (now i won't post a copy since the parents would likely kill me for "insulting" their kid). this child is grossly OBESE. they had a picture of their child without a shirt on, limbs are covered with rolls of fat, and the belly proportionally is larger than "Buddha's". seems to rather fit the term "obese" to me.

now here is the thing, they are young but they do try to be good parents and love, not neglect their child. but why is this child so "large"? could it happen to be genetics? the father is a large man, i mean huge, not just on the "overweight" side of things, but tall as well, his "hands" are about twice the size of my hands. the mother is rather skinny but i know her mother, sister, grandmother, great grandmother, great great grandmother etc all ran towards being "overweight". but nothing compared to how this child looks.

with both parents working or going to school they like many others serve her mainly "processed foods", yet the food is also supposed to be "healthy". they generally heat the food up in a microwave, as quite a few "busy" people do. they do i believe feed the kid some natural organic food but not all that much. is the processed food, or microwaving the food the issue?

now the child does not get things like junk food, restaurant food, sugary snacks, pop and the like so obviously that is not the issue. nor is the child on any medication, so that rules out that possibility.

so why is this child so obese?

Quite simple. Calories in greatly outweighing calories out.

ETA: an infant? Then don't worry about it. A "budda baby" is no big deal and has to do more with genetics and prenatal care. They'll lose the fat once they become active and start eating solids.

ETA again: An infant that has a higher body fat percentage may actually correlate to higher intelligence later on as fat is an important part of nerve structure. People who get all wrapped up on "fat is bad" and actually try to restrict fats in infants and small children can actually harm their development.
edit on 18-3-2014 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-3-2014 by NavyDoc because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   

igloo
reply to post by Char-Lee

Yup, our family are all thin but one of my kids would go michelin man right before each growth spurt but not before I worried, worked on better diets, forced excercise. Then magically he'd thin out again.

I think juice in bottle when infants is a no on.

www.thefastertimes.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Char-Lee

igloo
reply to post by Char-Lee

Yup, our family are all thin but one of my kids would go michelin man right before each growth spurt but not before I worried, worked on better diets, forced excercise. Then magically he'd thin out again.

I think juice in bottle when infants is a no on.

www.thefastertimes.com...

Agreed. That is very bad for kids--especially when they start cutting teeth. NO JUICE OR SODAS IN THE BOTTLE! A little juice in a sippy cup when they are old enough is fine. Sodas should not be given to infants and small children.

posted on Mar, 18 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
So baby is an infant that totally different case. My bet is that she has macrosomia, does her mother have diabetes type 1 ( insulin dependant ). Macrosomic kids are very common for type 1 diabetic mothers and kid will be normal size ( if not over feeded ) in about 6 months to 1 year.

Based on these studies in type 1 diabetic pregnancies, we applied the same monitoring techniques and the goals for therapy to women with gestational diabetes. We observed that when the peak postprandial glucose level was normalized (less than 120 mg/dL), the risk of macrosomia was equal to the rate in the general population. Strategies to achieve and maintain glucose levels in the normal range include carbohydrate-restricted diets, exercise programs, and initiation of insulin therapy when the blood glucose levels are outside the normal range.

Diabetes and pregnancy

posted on Mar, 21 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by generik

He and others should try this fruit out which grows in SE Asia, its called 'Garcinia Cambogia'.

Garcinia Cambogia is a small, pumpkin shaped fruit that grows in Southeast Asia. It's extract (known as HCA) is a potent fat burner, appetite suppressant and mood enhancer all-in-one. This powerful combination of effects is what allows people to lose weight so quickly!

Prevents the body from storing sugars and carbs as fat.
Reduces cravings and is a strong appetite suppressant.
Increases serotonin levels to reduce "emotional eating".
Reduces cortisol levels to burn fat from the belly and other stubborn areas.

Here is a link to information on the fruit:

healthyjournal.co...

But I wouldn't recommend buying it in pill form anywhere online.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join