It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

EU, US impose sanctions against Russian officials over Crimea referendum

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
RT

US President Barack Obama has ordered that sanctions be applied against 11 Russian and Ukrainian officials, the White House said. Earlier, the EU imposed sanctions against 21 officials after Crimea declared its independence.

The US has imposed sanctions against Russian and Ukrainian officials on Monday, with the White House stating that "the actions and policies" of the Russian government with respect to Ukraine "undermine democratic processes and institutions in Ukraine; threaten its peace, security, stability, sovereignty, and territorial integrity; and contribute to the misappropriation of its assets."

This is not a good sign, in my opinion it's a massive mistake to "Poke the bear" with sanctions. my question, what's next?

What do you guys think..... who is going to blink first?

edit on 17/3/2014 by Ph03n1x because: (no reason given)

edit on 17/3/2014 by Ph03n1x because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   
In other news, Putin scratches his backside.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:13 AM
link   

shappy

Thanks for your contribution, you really do add something to the discussion.

Now if you have anything on topic to say please go ahead if not... Bye

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   

shappy

This response encapsulates the very problem the west is now facing over Crimea.

Simply Crimea held a referendum and they voted to be with Russia, that should be respected, the minute an actual invasion happens, of course we should go and help, but this isn't what is happening, regardless of what America and Europe would like(beg) you to believe.
edit on 3/17/2014 by PsychoEmperor because: type

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Ph03n1x

shappy

Thanks for your contribution, you really do add something to the discussion.

Now if you have anything on topic to say please go ahead if not... Bye

As much contribution to peace as sanctions, or sending Kerry or McCain.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:15 AM
link   
They should sanction an obama v putin ufc fight to the death

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:16 AM
link   

robbeh
They should sanction an obama v putin ufc fight to the death

I was gona suggest a bear but you have that covered.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Given that the 'sanctions' have been mooted for a while, one imagines none of the people mentioned have any assets anywhere near where the US government can reach them.

They're all long gone.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   

PsychoEmperor

shappy

This response encapsulates the very problem the west is now facing over Crimea.

Simply Crimea held a referendum and they voted to be with Russia, that should be respected, the minute an actual invasion happens, of course we should go and help, but this isn't what is happening, regardless of what America and Europe would like(beg) you to believe.
edit on 3/17/2014 by PsychoEmperor because: type

So when Russian military units crossed the border into mainland Ukraine and seized the gas plant it was what, an accidental right turn instead of left at Sevastopol?

The referendum is not legal in the least. The one question I do want answered is how many people took part in the voting. Its one thing to claim 95% of the people voted in favor of joining Russia. Its something else entirely when only 100 people voted, with only 95 wanting to join Russia.

Putin thinks he got away with it, and this will embolden him to do even more to reestablish the soviet union.

Russia still has 80k troops on the Ukraine border and Putin is once again doing his lets stir up the locals with Spetnaz / GRU to justify an invasion.

khimbar
Given that the 'sanctions' have been mooted for a while, one imagines none of the people mentioned have any assets anywhere near where the US government can reach them.

They're all long gone.

Its more than just that.. Travel / VISA bans can have its effect, especially when trying to do business with the nations who invoked the sanctions. Contrary to popular belief, Russia's economy is not the strongest and sanctions are going to hurt (on both sides). In this case though, I think more damage is going to hit Russia than the west. Russia does something like 60 billion a year in business with Germany. Losing that is going to hurt. France is also considering freezing the military purchases Russia made for some state of the art naval vessels.
edit on 17-3-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I don't see Russia or Putin caring much about having sanctions placed on them.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Vasa Croe
I don't see Russia or Putin caring much about having sanctions placed on them.

I honestly don't see much of the western populous caring either except their fuel bills.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Whoops, dupe.
edit on 17-3-2014 by shappy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

I have the same thoughts as you on the subject but i find it very difficult to take anything the MSM puts out there as truth, the fact is the media pushes a certain agenda and they don't allow little things such a truth get in the way of what they want the people to believe...

if the Crimean people really want to be part of Russia then let them, they shouldn't have that right taken away from them because it doesn't fit with the Agenda of NATO.

edit on 17/3/2014 by Ph03n1x because: typo

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Xcathdra

Its more than just that.. Travel / VISA bans can have its effect, especially when trying to do business with the nations who invoked the sanctions. Contrary to popular belief, Russia's economy is not the strongest and sanctions are going to hurt (on both sides). In this case though, I think more damage is going to hit Russia than the west. Russia does something like 60 billion a year in business with Germany. Losing that is going to hurt. France is also considering freezing the military purchases Russia made for some state of the art naval vessels.
edit on 17-3-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

I really don't think Germany, or the EU, will follow through with sanctions to that degree. They're not going to suddenly stop all dealings with Russia, in my opinion.

To answer your other question, I could only find this on the BBC.

There are 1.5 million eligible voters and election officials put the turnout in Sunday's vote at more than 80%.

Ethnic Tatars, who make up 12% of the population, mostly boycotted the election

So which leaves 8% more who didn't vote? Even if all those who didn't vote had voted against, it would still have easily carried.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Ph03n1x

I have the same thoughts as you on the subject but i find it very difficult to take anything the MSM puts out there as truth, the fact is the media pushes a certain agenda and they don't allow little things such a truth get in the way of what they want the people to believe...

if the Crimean people really want to be part of Russia then let them, they shouldn't have that right taken away from them because it doesn't fit with Agenda of NATO.

I have no issues with Crimea, or any other group wishing independence to go for it, so long as it is done lawfully and takes into account everyone in the area and not just one segment of population. I don't agree with it being done under the barrel of a rifle while military units threaten those who don't support the referendum.

Secondly, I have issues with this endeavor being spun as a vote for independence / vote for Russia. what I see is an armed invasion cloaked under the guise of a referendum. The outcome was known the moment Putin gave the go order. To me all of Russia's "attempts" to negotiate with the west falls in the same areas as Iran and their nuke program. Its done to buy time and nothing more. the longer they dragged it out, the more forces they were able to get into the area...

Since the deed is done, I want Russia to grant a referendum to Chechnya. Every reason he gave for being in Crimea is applicable to Chechnya. Absent him following along and applying his moral standard equally, he is just a liar.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   
I am probably a little ignorant on the history of sanctions. But putting sanctions on an individual? Not a country or government?

I have some random thoughts on this without a connection web:

1. I understand "Ukraine" put a lot of toadies in positions of governmental control at the outset. This aligns with what the toadies in the West wanted. Is the toady mob now targeting toadies in Crimea for choosing the wrong side?

2. I have argued elsewhere on ATS the west, the EU especially, does not want to disturb their pipeline flow from Russia. Sanctioning a person, versus an entire country of people, sounds like an idea to make a statement but not really mess with what they are concerned about; money.

3. It sounds like a lot of theater. The US is laying sanctions down! (...but not really)

4. What are the sanctions? Freezing assets? Assets that have been gone for some time now? How do you freeze assets you no longer hold?

Sorry, no answers here. Just thinking.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   
This is how seriously they seem to be taking the sanctions.

www.zerohedge.com...

Moments ago we listed the Russian Putin "advisors" impacted by the latest Obama executive order freezing those assets over which the US has access. Among them was deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin and Russia's ambassador to NATO

Dmitry Rogozin @DRogozin

Comrade @BarackObama, what should do those who have neither accounts nor property abroad? Or U didn't think about it?)http://(link tracking not allowed)/1ebMXDM

World leaders arguing like schoolgirls over Twitter. That's just what we need.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Ph03n1x

if the Crimean people really want to be part of Russia then let them, they shouldn't have that right taken away from them because it doesn't fit with the Agenda of NATO.

Exactly the issue, "we" all knew way before the referendum how the election would turn out, why? Because polling was done and we already knew the vast majority of the people there wanted to become part of Russia.

The idea that this is a "gun point" election is as ridiculous as America sending it's Army to Texas to do border security and than having a Vote in Texas to decide if they want to be part of America. We all know Texas would vote to stay American, just because troops are present means nothing.

Xcathdra, There was a 75% Turn out for this election.
edit on 3/17/2014 by PsychoEmperor because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   

khimbar
I really don't think Germany, or the EU, will follow through with sanctions to that degree. They're not going to suddenly stop all dealings with Russia, in my opinion.

I think they will... I think they have to given the situation. Failing to act at all opens the door wider for Putin and will eventually undermine her own position in GErmany as failing to act.

khimbar
To answer your other question, I could only find this on the BBC.

There are 1.5 million eligible voters and election officials put the turnout in Sunday's vote at more than 80%.

Ethnic Tatars, who make up 12% of the population, mostly boycotted the election

So which leaves 8% more who didn't vote? Even if all those who didn't vote had voted against, it would still have easily carried.

The Tartar vote is interesting, since they (Crimea) claimed they had like a 30-40 percent turnout for the tartar population. The leaders of that population stated they had a 99.9% boycott.

Since there was nothing in place to allow for the voting to be monitored in a correct manner (people not allowed to see how ballots were counted etc).....

Reports of wide spread intimidation to those pro Ukraine.
Reports of Russian citizens voting.

Lots of claims and very little way to investigate them.

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Bet they required voter ids? Clearly a sanctionable action. Oh and the cemetery didn't have its own voting booth. Obama looks like a bigger idiot every time he opens his mouth. Everyone knows our elections are a sham, but to critisize one with outside moniters and transparency is just redicolous.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join