It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI: US defense contractor gave 'NK' secrets to Chinese 'spy' Girlfriend

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 08:03 AM
link   
www.scmp.com...

US defense contractor admits to giving secrets to Chinese girlfriend

The FBI alleged Bishop, 60, and the woman, now 28, started an intimate, romantic relationship in June 2011. The prosecution said she was a graduate student and that she and Bishop were having an extramarital affair.

Utah state records show Bishop was married until 2012.

The FBI's affidavit alleged the woman might have attended an international defence conference in Hawaii, where she initially met Bishop, specifically to target people like Bishop who had access to classified information.

Authorities have not released her identity or whereabouts. They also have not said publicly whether they believed she was working for the Chinese government.

She was living in the US as a student on a J-1 visa, according to the FBI.

Defendants must normally be indicted within a month of their arrest. Bishop's defence team waived the deadline in exchange for an opportunity to view the prosecution's evidence, much of which is classified.

Bishop, who is a lieutenant colonel in the US army reserve, worked in the field of cyberdefence at Pacific Command from May 2011 until his arrest. Prior to that, he helped develop Pacific Command strategy and policy.

Bishop was familiar with the Pacific Command's highest priority capability gaps, the command's chief of staff, Major General Anthony Crutchfield, said in a declaration filed in support of the prosecution's motion to have him detained without bail.

From 2010 to 2012, Bishop had access to "top secret" information on efforts to defend against a ballistic missile attack from North Korea, he said.

Just because FBI has an 'affidavit' claiming the Chinese grad student is spy, makes it true?

US district court judge Leslie Kobayashi allowed him to move to a halfway house in June.

Huh, halfway house?!
edit on 16-3-2014 by gardener because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by gardener

I just don't believe this guy would really have anything exceptional to share with his g/f.

it makes me why this is even news? There must be more to it.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Horny old man with nuclear secrets meets young girl......Is this girl on the run?? or do they have her..
edit on AM7Sun20141972 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Love and Sex are the best methods to solicit information. The method is used by the CIA, the Russians, the Chinese, the Mossad and has been used for spying for thousands of years. And people keep falling for it because love and sex suppress rational thought. Thats not to say that this is such a case, of course, but it could be.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 09:17 AM
link   
reply to post by gardener

Reading the article I can understand the need for defense against other countries that may pose a threat .I do have a problem with secret plans to " joint training and planning sessions between the US and South Korea." "US Department of Defence China Strategy", another on US force posture in Asia and the Pacific and a US Pacific Command joint intelligence operations centre special report." "An FBI affidavit last year alleged the then-59-year-old gave his 27-year-old girlfriend classified information about "war plans", "nuclear weapons", missile defences and "other topics." I wonder if he actually gave them (if he really did ??) anything the Chinese wouldn't all ready know .

But think about this, if US was going to try and pull something off and China got a heads up then the US would probably abandon any plans to do so .I could see this as something good ."The war is off", so lets just go home and concentrate on our defense .I think they should make it illegal to play war and build up the capabilities to do so but I guess they are not going to put that cat back in the bag .

Another thought about this story. Would making this public matter ? They could have kept this info from us and hid it under a blanket of National Security ...I could be part of a propaganda thing where they will end up dropping all charges much later on . Like Bushes great concerns for Binladin in Afghanistan . Don't know ....peace

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Do you guys think maybe its a model/lesson to serve as warning to all those employees of companies with defense contracts with US government to think twice about dating Asians, now in this foreign-relations political climate?

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   

gardener
Do you guys think maybe its a model/lesson to serve as warning to all those employees of companies with defense contracts with US government to think twice about dating Asians, now in this foreign-relations political climate?

Maybe. But if I were one of those spies I`d take the love and then still not reveal secrets.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Heheh.. Bond, Jame Bond?

100% Playboy yet 0% Compromised, I like that! =D

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   

gardener
Heheh.. Bond, Jame Bond?

100% Playboy yet 0% Compromised, I like that! =D

lol thats what i was thinking about. WTF is this dude doing TALKING when he's got a 27 Y/o asian woman????

ETA: not to say a 27 Y/o asian is anything spectacular but when I'm 59 I'm thinking chances like that are gonna be few and far between lol.

on an on topic note, anyone who knows anything special from your line of work needs to take a long hard look at your spouse/side girl and how your met them.
edit on 16-3-2014 by mindseye1609 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join