It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraqi bill to legalize child marriage

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 07:12 AM
link   

BAGHDAD (AP) — A contentious draft law being considered in Iraq could open the door to girls as young as nine getting married and would require wives to submit to sex on their husband's whim, provoking outrage from rights activists and many Iraqis who see it as a step backward for women's rights.

The measure, aimed at creating different laws for Iraq's majority Shiite population, could further fray the country's divisions amid some of the worst bloodshed since the sectarian fighting that nearly ripped the country apart after the U.S.-led invasion. It also comes as more and more children under 18 get married in the country.

"That law represents a crime against humanity and childhood," prominent Iraqi human rights activist Hana Adwar told The Associated Press. "Married underage girls are subjected to physical and psychological suffering.

Iraqi law now sets the legal age for marriage at 18 without parental approval. Girls as young as 15 can be married only with a guardian's approval.

The proposed new measure, known as the Jaafari Personal Status Law, is based on the principles of a Shiite school of religious law founded by Jaafar al-Sadiq, the sixth Shiite imam. Iraq's Justice Ministry late last year introduced the draft measure to the Cabinet, which approved it last month despite strong opposition by rights groups and activists.

The draft law does not set a minimum age for marriage. Instead, it mentions an age in a section on divorce, setting rules for divorces of girls who have reached the age of 9 years in the lunar Islamic calendar.It also says that's the age girls reach puberty. Since the Islamic calendar year is 10 or 11 days shorter than the Gregorian calendar, that would be the equivalent of 8 years and 8 months old. The bill makes the father the only parent with the right to accept or refuse the marriage proposal.

www.sfgate.com...

Please klik^ for more WTFs,yes... we/I went over there and over throw their murderous quasi commie dictator with delusions of grandeur on the lie that we would ensure our own security and bring forth democracy whatever that means, now there are powerful forces in place in Iraq that would make even our own extreme religious nutty fundies looked like free wheeling hippies of the 60ts or hipsters living on either coast, and we gave them that so-called democracy not quite what I was hoping for, a return to the middle ages.

edit on 16-3-2014 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 07:19 AM
link   

who see it as a step backward for women's rights.

If it's doesn't look like a plane ticket out of the middle east I'm not sure what else they expected to see on that front for women.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Iraq is now a democratic country thanks to the U.S..now they can vote for shi+ like this when they want.

You can take the arab out of the middle ages, but not the middle ages out of the arab..

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Spider879

I was reading about that about 2 days ago. It's just sick in the worse way. No excuses.

Don't want to see posts telling me that I have to respect it because "it's another culture".

Don't want to read downplaying posts showing examples of primitive behavior in other countries like USA.
edit on 16-3-2014 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Trueman

I was reading about that about 2 days ago. It's just sick in the worse way. No excuses.

Don't want to see posts telling me that I have to respect it because "it's another culture".

Don't want to read downplaying posts showing examples of primitive behavior in other countries like USA.

Some traditions need to go the way of the Duduo, not all cultural practices need to be respected and they are damned sure not equal, like sacrificing albinos in East Africa, domestic slavery in some quarters of the world and legalizing pedophilia,these are criminal activities and it lessens all of us if we continue business as usual as if to say nothing to see here,hopefully there will be enough of an outrage that the bill goes no where,but I am still angry at the fact that there are people powerful enough and brazen enough to want it as law was voted into office,these guys are elected officials Saddam was a very bad man but maybe he knew something what we didn't about his opposition.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   
The only way I can imagine any religious people to accept this as a law is if both of those getting married are of the same age.

Not a young girl and someone grave dodging because that is obviously an attempt to hide paedophilia by dressing it up as something else.

so if some deem it necessary to do so, don't forget the part of samr ages.
Other than that because of immaturity I wouldn't allow it, kids been kids they will have a divorce list the length of their arms

So......No.

If this was added I think there may be no change to the law.

edit on 16-3-2014 by jazz10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   

jazz10
The only way I can imagine any religious people to accept this as a law is if both of those getting married are of the same age.

Not a young girl and someone grave dodging because that is obviously an attempt to hide paedophilia by dressing it up as something else.

Other than that because of immaturity I wouldn't allow it, kids been kids they will have a divorce list the length of their arms

So......No.

But that's the problem Jazz, this law will make it legal for bearded smelly old farts to marry 8 yr ols, and don't get me wrong the set back for women is as bad as it gets,but at-least she would theoretically be able to stab her rapist husband through the heart with a dull knife,but what chance does an 8yr old have.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Spider879

jazz10

So......No.

But that's the problem Jazz, this law will make it legal for bearded smelly old farts to marry 8 yr ols, and don't get me wrong the set back for women is as bad as it gets,but at-least she would theoretically be able to stab her rapist husband through the heart with a dull knife,but what chance does an 8yr old have.

Well, In Afghanistan raping 10 year old dancing boys is a national sport in within the police force and marrying 8 year old girls to grandfathers is the norm..

In Iraq they've still got it good..
edit on AM7Sun20141972 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   

andy1972

Spider879

jazz10

So......No.

Well, In Afghanistan raping 10 year old dancing boys is a national sport in within the police force and marrying 8 year old girls to grandfathers is the norm..

In Iraq they've still got it good..

The men in these societies have kids there is thing lets call it almost a biological and certainly psychological need to protect one's own from harm, there is no way you are gonna look at your son or daughter being physically and mentally crushed by a grown azzed man, and if that makes most normal men and women cringed just hearing about it, how then did they allow that natural instinct to protect one's own either as an individual or as a community be overruled by a guy who claims he had a talk with god and it's ok!

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I doubt the law will pass, they don't have enough backing for it, not even among Shiites. If I`m wrong then I will start spelling Shiite without one "i".

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   

andy1972
Iraq is now a democratic country thanks to the U.S..now they can vote for shi+ like this when they want.

You can take the arab out of the middle ages, but not the middle ages out of the arab..

im ginna not mention the insane rape statistics in the non muslim us army in order not to embarrass you
cause i read you often, and agree with you often

one of the first things bremmer did in iraq was to totally remove what were the most enlightened set of Womans rights laws in the arab world...probably better then barefoot and pregnant like the bible promotes

]n the whole, the American people can say we did a noble thing," he tells FRONTLINE. "… We put the Iraqis on the right path, politically, to a better political future, and they now have got, certainly, the right plans...

www.pbs.org...

Though subject to the authority of the CPA administrator Paul Bremer, the council had several key powers of its own. Their duties included appointing representatives to the United Nations, appointing interim ministers to Iraq's vacant cabinet positions, and drafting a temporary constitution, the Transitional Administrative Law (TAL). The TAL spelled out the provisions which were to govern the Iraqi Interim Government, and the timeline for holding elections to a National Assembly, drafting of a permanent constitution to be voted on by the Iraqi people, and elections to a permanent government.

Despite having to answer to the CPA, different factions took on controversial stands. Religious hardliners won a solid victory when Directive 137 was passed on December 29, 2003. Passed by the council in less than 15 minutes, it replaced Iraq's former secular family law code with Shari'a family law. This move met with wide protest among many Iraqi women fearful of how it will affect their freedom to make their own decisions about marriage, divorce, alimony, and many other issues where Iraq used to be a leader in the Arab world for women's rights. Other legislation passed by the council included declaring the day that Baghdad fell to be a national holiday, voting to establish a tribunal to try former government leaders, and banning television stations which are deemed to be supportive of the resistance.
en.wikipedia.org...

see the problem is the nazis invaded and effed it all up
really! a national holiday celebrating the day your country was conquered and became a dictatorshizil

edit on Sunam3b20143America/Chicago31 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Trueman

interesting
i saw a bumper stick once that i thought was pretty cool
it said:
"look in mirror before pointing finger"
I though that was probably the one line answer to all the human ills we suffer under everywhere...

There is an ongoing problem with sexual assault in the U.S. military which has received extensive media coverage in the past several years. The Department of Defense estimates there are about 19,000 sexual assaults in the military per year but according to the latest Pentagon statistics (2013), only 1,108 troops filed for an investigation during the most recent yearly reporting period and during that period, only 575 cases were processed. No outside audit has been conducted of the military's numbers. Of the cases processed, only 96 went to court-martial.[1] Another investigation found that only one in five females and one in 15 males in the United States Air Force would report having been sexually assaulted by service members.[2]

Incidents which have been publicized include the Tailhook scandal in 1991, the Aberdeen scandal in 1996 and the 2003 US Air Force Academy sexual assault scandal. In an attempt to deal with this problem the Defense Department has issued the Department of Defense Sexual Assault Response policy. A provision in the fiscal 2004 National Defense Authorization Act required investigation and reporting regarding sexual harassment and assault at the United States military academies. A report was published in the New York Times magazine in March, 2007 which surveyed women soldiers' experience in the Iraq War showing significant incidence of post traumatic stress syndrome resulting from the combination of combat stress and sexual assault.[3] 15% of female veterans from Iraq and Afghanistan who have visited a VA facility have screened positive for military sexual trauma.[4]
en.wikipedia.org...

have you ever seen the witches of eastwick?
you thought 911 was blowback....?
edit on Sunam3b20143America/Chicago28 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Quote - "im ginna not mention the insane rape statistics in the non muslim us army in order not to embarrass you
cause i read you often, and agree with you often"

What have rape statistics in the US army got to do with legaliesd peadophilia disguised under the name of "custom". Non consensual sex between to adults and systematic sale of girls as young as 5 to old men by their families (who, if the girl runs away, will find her and stone her death) to be raped and beaten daily can't be compared.

Quote -"one of the first things bremmer did in iraq was to totally remove what were the most enlightened set of Womans rights laws in the arab world...probably better then barefoot and pregnant like the bible promotes."

That maybe so...but the one good social issue is outweighed by the whole of Hussiens dictatorship.

Quote -"See the problem is the nazis invaded and effed it all up
really! a national holiday celebrating the day your country was conquered and became a dictatorshizil"

Underage child marriagesare on the increase amongst the Iraqi's..Neithe the U.S or th U.K. or the world in general as influenced that decision.

The old customes died hard..it's hard to believe that this barbarity is happening in what was once the cradle of civilistation.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1972

I agree
thats my problem with the US led invasion
eta "barbaridad" lol good one

edit on Sunam3b20143America/Chicago13 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on Sunam3b20143America/Chicago35 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Danbones

I agree
thats my problem with the US led invasion
eta "barbaridad" lol good one

edit on Sunam3b20143America/Chicago13 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on Sunam3b20143America/Chicago35 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

Sorry, barbarity, i live in Spain...every now and then i forget and i go into Spanglish...

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   

no need for sorry that was a compliment, lol
bagdad ...barbaridad....prepubescent child marriages...spreading...democracy
seems to fit pretty good
edit on Sunam3b20143America/Chicago06 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

The west wiped out the government that had the highest standard around, and replaced it with the one that allows child marriage
the west is funding the fundies as we saw in egyit, lybia and syria and the ukraine...
a whole skid of money just vanished in Iraq
they put the fun in fundiMENTAL
edit on Sunam3b20143America/Chicago34 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on Sunam3b20143America/Chicago43 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Didn't US and NATO make that country a better place.

Wasn't the money spent, wasn't the blood spilled. Surely now living in Iraq is nice and quiet.

(ducking due to explosion that rips apart Iraq every week)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Wouldn't be for me. I don't live n that society. When we disagree its not about "their culture" and don't wanna hear it...we are citing OUR culture used to decry theirs. That's a two-sided coin. You support yours but don't support theirs?

I am wondering though...if we are to accept its in their culture ok....but what does the average Iraqi living and raised in that culture...feel about this?

If the world were to live in harmony with each other as we've been trying to all along...arent we supposed to accept each other and their cultures...no matter how different... so we can?

edit on 09-22-2013 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Guess a slow clap for the good ole USA is in order amirite? Or am I the only one that sees the correlation?

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   

mysterioustranger

Wouldn't be for me. I don't live n that society. When we disagree its not about "their culture" and don't wanna hear it...we are citing OUR culture used to decry theirs. That's a two-sided coin. You support yours but don't support theirs?

I am wondering though...if we are to accept its in their culture ok....but what does the average Iraqi living and raised in that culture...feel about this?

If the world were to live in harmony with each other as we've been trying to all along...arent we supposed to accept each other and their cultures...no matter how different... so we can?

edit on 09-22-2013 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

No I am not accepting some aspect of their culture that is cruel and defile the weakest among us our kids,and yes I realize there maybe parts of our culture that's unacceptable to others I am not saying they should be us,that's boring what I am saying is many at some deeper level know it wrong but go along just to get along with a bunch of pervs ,further more it wasn't long ago that,that aspect of their culture was deemed illegal and hideous.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join