It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How To "X-Ray" a Planet or Star With Neutrinos

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 02:00 AM
link   
It seems when Neutrinos pass through an object it alters their flavor oscillation pattern. once we develop compact neutrino detectors (and it's looking like we will with Bose Einstein Condensates or another scheme i have read about thanks to another forum member) you can have what amounts to a neutrino scanner. where you can tell things from the brightness or number of detections and the energy levels in addition to a flavor distribution and count. imagine what you could do with a few million neutrino pixel pictures? and i dare you to try to hide a nuclear weapon from one.

anyway here is the article that talks about increases in solar neutrino flux at night due to passing through the earth.

phys.org...

But until now, it wasn't clear if traveling through an object could also cause them to change flavor. In this new effort, the researchers have found that they likely do indeed, which means that sometime in the future, neutrino detectors could be used to learn more about the interior of our planet.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Oh wow... thank you for posting this.. I love reading this kind of stuff!

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by stormbringer1701

Hey did scientists ever figure out the issue when they first reported Neutrinos had traveled in excess of the speed of light?

Also, S&F for the thread... Hopefully we are getting closer and closer to answering the question on if we are alone in the universe.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Xcathdra

Hey did scientists ever figure out the issue when they first reported Neutrinos had traveled in excess of the speed of light?

It was due to errors and improper setup. Subsequent tests with neutrinos didn't show faster than light travel. en.wikipedia.org...
www.nature.com...

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   

wildespace

Xcathdra

It was due to errors and improper setup. Subsequent tests with neutrinos didn't show faster than light travel. en.wikipedia.org...
www.nature.com...

Figured as much.. I couldn't remember what the second outcome was.

Thanks for the response / info.

ETA - I am somewhat lost when it comes to quantum mechanics so I have a question (most likely a very stupid one) -
Would it be possible to "view" a planet by using Quantum Entanglement from the light emanating from it?
edit on 15-3-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Xcathdra

wildespace

Xcathdra

www.nature.com...

Figured as much.. I couldn't remember what the second outcome was.

Thanks for the response / info.

ETA - I am somewhat lost when it comes to quantum mechanics so I have a question (most likely a very stupid one) -
Would it be possible to "view" a planet by using Quantum Entanglement from the light emanating from it?
edit on 15-3-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)
probably not at least for a long long long time. just like with light the star is a brilliant source and the planets only source is radioactive decay. so 99.99999999 etc percent of any neutrinos from that area will be from the star even though some of those will pass through the planet and be altered a bit. if you had sufficient resolution (number of neutrino detectors to make billions of pixels in an image) then maybe with the right filtering you could but there are two problems.

Right now each individual neutrino detector is very very large like nearly olympic swimming pool large. so that means until new tech like in the op is implemented (and even that is too large for the type of resolution we are talking about) it is impractical.

our other planet finding techniques are mature enough to find planets now and the next generation will be finding earth size or smaller planets anywhere around stars up to thousands of light years away. there is no need for neutrino planet finders unless it is for orphaned planets in the middle of the void away from all stars.

top topics

join