It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Suggestion: always "editable" opening posts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 12:52 AM
link   
From my experience, the author of a thread usually posts a large amount of information on the thread topic in his/her opening post. In most cases, there is still more info that is posted later, either by the author or by other members.

Sometimes, as I have personally experienced, a person reading the thread must sort through dozens of comments/opinions before reaching another post contributing evidence/new material to whatever case being discussed.

(I have no problem with comments/opinions, I just think they should come after all the information available has been posted.)

This thread is an example. Note how the author continues their opening post entire pages after it begun. (pgs 4 and 6, I believe, are examples)

It seems it would be a more efficient way of organizing threads (especially for new readers who have not been actively following the thread) to allow the opening poster to edit their OP after the 4 hours usually allowed. He/she could add all the info that is uncovered subsequent to the thread's posting.

This is not something the OP would have to do, of course, but I think it would be a good option to make available.
edit on 15-3-2014 by thesearchfortruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 04:01 AM
link   

thesearchfortruth
to allow the opening poster to edit their OP after the 4 hours usually allowed.

I add as a warning; the current allowance is 2 hours, not 4. I know the rejecting message says 4, but that's just an un-corrected error.
When you do edit, a message above the editing box tells you how much time you have, and counts down from 120 minutes.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Sorry this maybe a little off topic... but I had to tell you that I read the thread title as

A Suggestion: always "edible" opening posts..

Hmmmm Nom Nom Nom nom

Korg.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by thesearchfortruth

while I agree that, at times, it's nice to be able to go back and edit an opening post there are a few problems with this.

1. The discussion the ensues might wind up incoherent. Take the infamous Haiti ufo video. After pages and pages of discussion, one of our astute members proved the hoax. If the OP was edited, the entire discussion would be disjointed.

2. Anyone quoting the opening post would wind up with incorrect quotes making their comments incorrect.

3. It allows for the OP to go back, alter things to suit the later date situation. Predictions altered, claims changed etc. Sure, there's a time stamp of the edit but the original content will be lost and the OP can alter their original words to make them look right, less foolish, brilliantly prophetic etc.

If there's ever a need to alter an opening post, the original poster can send a note to a staff member, or hit the complaint/suggestion/alert buttons and ask the staff. It happens all the time and we discuss it and, if the change is warranted, we'll change it.

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Hadn't thought of it that way before—it seems there are more problems than benefits....

I'm not sure if this is possible, but could you make it so the thread author can edit their post but only to add things? They couldn't change or hide their original content but they could supplement it with additional info?

thanks for reading...

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   

easier to have them reach out to the staff. contrary to popular belief, we are an understanding, easy going group, always looking to do what's best for the discussion, the site and the community.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 03:19 AM
link   

that's a double edged sword - while it has uses - as you point out - it can also allow for back-peddling and dishonesty - I would actually from the edit window to 10 minuites - you scan any errors etc - mine are mostly BB code gremlins that

ort have a mandatory WYSIWYG preview pane - so you know its right before a thread goes live

top topics

join