It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biotech to extend convicts' lives 'indefinitely' 1000 years in prison?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
The SENS Research Foundation focus is the application of regenerative medicine to age-related diseases. All well and good as most people want to live a longer life. However when scientist start looking into the dark side of their areas of study I get worried. In this case the discussion is how to utilize these new and possibly upcoming technologies to "enhance" the punishment of criminals.

Could we condemn criminals to suffer for hundreds of years?

SENS Research Foundation

Sentencing a criminal to 1,000 years in an artificial hell may one day become a reality.

According to their research, prison firms could also develop drugs that make time pass slowly, making an inmate’s sentence feel like an eternity.

Last year, a team of scientists led by Rebecca Roache began exploring technologies that could keep prisoners in an artificial hell.

Don't get me wrong, I have no sympathy for violent criminal but as a species do we really want to be creating "artificial hells" for them? What if someone in the future decides that traffic violations require 100 year sentences? What about the people who want to use this against political dissidents?

Turning to human engineering as a possible solutions, Dr Roache looks at the idea of life span enhancements so that a life sentence in prison could last hundreds of years.

‘The benefits of such radical lifespan enhancement are obvious - but it could also be harnessed to increase the severity of punishments’ As well as extending life, Dr Roache noted that there are a number of psychoactive drugs that distort people’s sense of time.

She said that society might not be far off developing a pill that could make someone feel like they were serving a 1,000-year sentence.

There is also discussion of uploading minds to computer and manipulating time to speed up or god forbid slow down but I'll let you look at the article if interested.

To me this seems like a lot of focus on the dark side of science and almost seems like they are looking for ways to torture people for a millennium. While there are many benefits to this research I'm pretty sure if the scientists are already gleefully looking into ways to use it to increase suffering then the politicians and others in power are going to have a field day creating misery.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Life without parole for 1000 years for a pedophile? To me that's still too lenient but it getting there.

To me life without parole is a far better and effective punishment than lethal injection. Hell why should criminals get a easier death than what most us law abiding citizens can ever hope for.

edit on 14-3-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

As you point out, there are two sides to every tools. The tool which will enable some of us to live thousands of years, will also enable some of us to suffer for thousands of years. "And death shall flee from them"...

Nice find, very thought-provoking, S&F from me mate.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
and who picks up the tab for all this extra years the taxpayer $30.000 per year x forever

i can see they let the idiot savant in the forward thinking department on the loose again with this idea .

some people get sent to jail because they enjoy it they have better lives than they do on the outside

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   

999zxcv
and who picks up the tab for all this extra years the taxpayer $30.000 per year x forever

Well the taxpayer who will also be living longer and hence working longer.
Bigger workforce= more tax money

999zxcv
some people get sent to jail because they enjoy it they have better lives than they do on the outside

Im betting it will get real dull after the first 100 years

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyewok

To me life without parole is a far better and effective punishment than lethal injection.

Effective maybe but we don't torture rabid dogs we just put them down. !000 years of torture demeans us as a species, is that what you really want?

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 01:55 PM
link   
it would not be bad for them at all... people just kind of turn into zombies in jail they sleep and eat and read and watch t.v...

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Bassago

Effective maybe but we don't torture rabid dogs we just put them down. !000 years of torture demeans us as a species, is that what you really want?

You cant appeal from lethal injection.

Anyway there are crimes that to me are nonredeemable.

I am anti death penalty BUT a realist that SOME crimes can not ever be forgiven or criminals rehabilitated.

Anyway never said 1000 years of torture. Just imprisonment . Imprisonment can take on a whole range of meanings.
From North Korean death camps to Norwegian 5* "hotel* prisons and a whole range in between.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Keeping anyone under lock and key indefinitely is a form of torture (Just ask you know who) and then as a society we would be meting out torture instead of punishment?

Yup, that's how we advance as a species...

Peace

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Is this a technology that allows you to live 1000 years or does it make 1 year feel like 1000?

If the latter, then this could be a good thing. Physical time in prison could be severely limited, but the prisoner gets the effect of much longer.

Less tax payer money. Less wasted time in jail. Perhaps a more effective correction system?

Don't get me wrong, though, the whole idea still creeps me out.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by WordsAreAvenues

Is this a technology that allows you to live 1000 years or does it make 1 year feel like 1000?

Looks like they are working on both. Maybe they can combine them and let humans reach a 1000 years of age and if they ever get sent to prison they can make it feel like a billion years. Anyone say "Phantom Zone?"

All I can say is they better make something that keeps people from going insane.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 02:23 PM
link   

jude11
Keeping anyone under lock and key indefinitely is a form of torture (Just ask you know who) and then as a society we would be meting out torture instead of punishment?

Peace

Pedophiles and sociopaths (most serial killers) cant be rehabilitated! Repeated offending for these scum are almost a garentee!

And they have destroyed lives. Not just the lives of there victims but the lives of there victim family!

Sorry but what you suggest releasing them to offend again and destroy anothers life?

Capital punishment has been shown to be unreliable and costly of innocent lives of wrongly convicted.

You have:
A) "life" but possibility of parole and re offending
B) Life without parole
C) Capital punishment at the cost of wrongly convicted every now and then.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Kinda like the movie the Lazarus Project with Paul Walker?

Less fights, more control, smaller and confined quarters, more room to imprison Americans, etc.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
This seems almost implausible, but would be a brilliant idea for paedophiles and rapists to remain in a cell for over 1000 years, with nothing in there except a mat to sleep on (even that would be a luxury) because they are the most vile human who need to suffer the utmost. How about torturing them them for the next 1000 years so they suffer endlessly? Surely a drug could emit excruciating pain without inducing death. Even that wouldn't suffice for them nasty evil bast*rds
edit on 14-3-2014 by fabricofsociety2014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 02:34 PM
link   
How about we fix the justice system first? Considering they can block just about everything including exculpatory evidence by just rewording it. The system is broke and it doesnt take much to get a conviction....and if you dare try to take it to jury trial they'll do everything they can to hammer you thus scaring many people into bull# plea agreements...if you have never been part of the game its easy to comment on it.

As far as the tech goes...this would never happen as others have mentioned....the taxes and amount of money it cost to keep someone in jail...on top of it I think its a technology the rich will want to keep to themselves....so they can keep getting richer!

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by fabricofsociety2014

what should women get who lie about rape? ????? The same punishment?

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by fabricofsociety2014

Hm... By attempting to erradicate monsters from this world, do we really have to be even more monstrous? Where is the logic behind "punishing crime with mindbending torture"? I would favour psychological rehabilitation to purge all of the bad stuff out. Techniques exist to rectify deviant behaviours, and as a student of psychology I believe that they should be explored before resorting to barbary.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   

crazyewok

jude11

Peace

Pedophiles and sociopaths (most serial killers) cant be rehabilitated! Repeated offending for these scum are almost a garentee!

And they have destroyed lives. Not just the lives of there victims but the lives of there victim family!

Sorry but what you suggest releasing them to offend again and destroy anothers life?

Capital punishment has been shown to be unreliable and costly of innocent lives of wrongly convicted.

You have:
A) "life" but possibility of parole and re offending
B) Life without parole
C) Capital punishment at the cost of wrongly convicted every now and then.

Never suggested release at all.

Life in prison is until you die...But if we extend that life if we haven't exacted what we feel is due, it becomes torture and we become sadists.

Quite different.

Peace

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 02:37 PM
link   
This is so utterly repugnant. To tax payers.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
I think this is a seriously sick idea.

Nice find, and S/F, though. The vengefulness of humans blows my mind...yes, psycho/sociopaths are scummy, and should be ostracized/exiled...
but I'd prefer they be sent to an uninhabited, unimproved island somewhere to see how long they'd make it. With each other.

It's unnatural, and in my opinion dangerous, to be messing with life that way (prolonging a life just to prolong suffering). Just to punish them more????

What is it with humans and torture?

edit on 3/14/2014 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

<<   2  3 >>

join