It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MOON - HALO 3-13-14

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Last Night my nieces and I were on the roof of our house looking at the moon and we were amazed. There was this huge concentric white circle glow (halo). It was not moon glow though. It was weird, I have never seen anything like it in my lifetime, just wondered if anyone else has? I wasn't able to take a picture, because the circle was larger than my field of view. I could only get a picture of the moon. That didn't look so remarkable as the circle though, so I just did my best to demonstrate what it looked like...

This doesn't really do it justice, but oh well I tried.

Soul

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by soulpowertothendegree

Happens due to refraction of light through ice crystals in the air.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 11:48 AM
link   

I have seen that happen a few times in my life and I agree it does look amazing

en.wikipedia.org...

natural but amazing

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
It's a pretty common sight in winter. My mom used to say it meant snow in the forecast.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I remember the night my dad took me out to see a brilliant halo around the moon. This was just before a record-setting blizzard moved in.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   

I saw Moon ice halo a few weeks ago where I live (I think the last time the Moon was near full)

Here is a website that explains Moon halos and other atmospheric optic phenomena:
www.atoptics.co.uk...

edit on 3/14/2014 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Based on an old wifes tale, if you see that, it will snow in your area within 10 days. No offence, but I sure hope you don't live anywhere near me.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   

I see this all the time... in Florida. Just two days ago in fact. I don't think it really has anything to do with snow, however. Like I said... Florida.

Kallisti

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   

In the winter in south-central Alaska it occurs at least 1-2 a week.

I laughed and thought when I saw your thread topic about how many times this topic has been beaten to death. Although I'm glad you have you answers from the ATS members now. I feel sorry for all those people living in big cities with light pollution and then move out in the woods, then call 911 to report a meteor when in fact it's just Jupiter, lol.

Peace.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I love the moon

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Halo'ed moons are quite a beauty to see.

I've seen them many times in my life, sometimes with very faint halos and sometimes with very bright halos.

I've noticed the bright ones that I see happen when it's cold out.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   

It was weird, I have never seen anything like it in my lifetime, just wondered if anyone else has?

It happens a lot in the south west of England ive seen it many many times. What part of the world are you in?

new topics

top topics

join