It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay marriage now actively legal in England and Wales

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Today/yesterday, March 13th, was the first day that England and Wales officially recognized gay marriages performed in other countries and also accepted applications to marry (starting a mandatory 15-day waiting period). The waiting period is waived if one of the participants is terminally ill.

www.gaystarnews.com...

Existing marriages of gay couples that took place overseas are now legally recognized. The 15-day notice period to register intent to marry can be waived if one of the partners is terminally ill. For those who wish to convert their civil partnerships into marriages, that procedure is expected to come into effect later this year. The couples who announce their intention to marry at a register office today will be among the first couples in the UK to marry on 29 March.

edit on 13-3-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   
co2/global warming as an excuse for carbon taxes wasn't working out

UKIP councillor blames storms and floods on gay marriage

back to the good ol collection plate
edit on Thupm3b20143America/Chicago39 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Good for them . Now they can suffer like the rest of us married people or common law .

Will I ever marry my girlfriend for 9 years and 2 kids with ... Nope I do not need a piece of paper saying I am committed to her . No I don't need an expensive celebration of getting it on with my wife in some gods approval or nor can I afford the goat to buy my wife . But what ever let them get married and get a divorce in a few years anyway i am sure the lawyers will be lovin it

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by freedomSlave

Divorce is a major legal hurdle for these marriages. I just read earlier about a couple filing for divorce in Alabama in the U.S., a state which doesn't have gay marriage. That will create a new test case for the court and another avenue to explore the legal ramifications in states which don't yet recognize other states' marriages.

www.nydailynews.com...

A lesbian couple is filing for divorce in Alabama — but their new home state isn’t making it easy to get unhitched.

Shrie Michelle and Kirsten Allysse Richmond were married in Dubuque, Iowa, on Nov. 2, 2012, where same-sex marriage is legal. They’ve run into a snag after moving to Madison County, Ala., and realizing that they were incompatible. Since the state doesn’t recognize gay marriage, it is as if the Richmonds’ marriage never existed.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Great to see some logic going around the world
I find the political aspect of it silly, how they get away with using it as political leverage is beyond me. Just keeping us on the treadmill, keep people focused on little issues while the big things run amok.

Still though, wonderful to see! Good luck future couples!

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   
I believe that homosexuals have every right to be as miserable as the rest of us. Also why does it matter, any homophobic person I have every met has always struck me as insecure as a bank made out of cardboard

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Danbones

Is that for real?
LOL

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   
It seems to me that all marriages should be gay ones.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

All I can tell you is that it's none of my business. People have the right to marry whom they choose - as long as the partner is of age and consent.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Danbones
co2/global warming as an excuse for carbon taxes wasn't working out

back to the good ol collection plate
edit on Thupm3b20143America/Chicago39 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

It's the UKIP believing that god is showing his displeasure at the UK accepting gays as normal people.

If he hadn't have blamed the gay community he'd have blamed it on witchcraft.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Condragulations!

It's still sad that this has to be voted on and debated and judged to be "Legal" first and foremost we are Human being born Homosexual doesn't alter that fact, so if Humans have that legal right to marry we should too regardless of being Gay or not

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Hooray for a small drop of sanity in an insane world!

I think one day people will look back with embarrassment at the way homosexual people were discriminated, in the same way many people look at the racism of just 40 years ago.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Darth_Prime

This is such a major societal change that marriage laws had to be tweaked to accommodate it. Gays in modern civilization only came out of the wimp stage recently, stood up, demanded equality, and after decades of vocal and visual protests and in-your-face celebrations finally have gone over that line where momentum is on the side of non-discrimination. Now it's just a matter of changing the laws to reflect the new reality. So it takes time. America's well known 1960s civil rights movement followed over a hundred years of groundwork by brave people, few and far between. Then when the inevitable winning of those rights was in sight, it took a few movements to change the legal frameworks. Time is always on the side of equality, it just has to play out over that time. Because before the wholesale societal change can occur the dialogue about the subject has to sink into people's morality and consciousness, and the publicly codified hate, grumbles, and labeling of people, animals, and the environment as "other than" turn into private non-legally binding opinions and complaints.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 06:50 AM
link   

cuckooold
Hooray for a small drop of sanity in an insane world!

I think one day people will look back with embarrassment at the way homosexual people were discriminated, in the same way many people look at the racism of just 40 years ago.

And that's where the change occurs, in individual minds. Sixty years ago it was normal in America for whites to have to go into white only bathrooms and blacks into black only bathrooms in the southern states. Drinking fountains were segregated. Blacks and whites were caught up in this nonsense. But now that looks crazy, like crazy people were in charge. I hope this happens in the environmental movement, and in sixty years cutting down forests and polluting the earth's waters looks as insane as widespread legal segregation does now.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 06:56 AM
link   
About time too.
It's mad that we had to get to the 21st century to change a law based upon a middle eastern superstition. Though I'll admit some of the laws derived from the bible make sense, like murder and theft. This one was as daft as blasphemy.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

The Gay Rights movement and the Equality movement has been going on for a long time, it just wasn't as publicized. now politicians are finding out they can gain monetary value and be seen as the "Hero" of this story to garner votes and what not

posted on Mar, 15 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Good for them. And the rest of the 99% of the population doesn't care. Who cares what gay people do? This is such a non issue and distraction.

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I fully support LGBT people enjoying the same 'rights' as heterosexual people.

Other than some religious dogma, there is absolutely no logical argument against homosexuality, transgenderism, etc.

However, I have a big problem with the concept of 'marriage' and the legal legitimacy of it.

Why should anyone be rewarded financially just because they signed some forms which make their personal union subject to the perks of the taxman?

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   
The big deal is though does the Church of England have to carry it out?

posted on Mar, 16 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Bellor
The big deal is though does the Church of England have to carry it out?

I don't think that's a 'big deal'.

Nobody - other than the BBC - really cares.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join