It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can any members answer this?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Hello ATS'ers, I hope you all are having a good day/night. I have been reading about super hydrophobic molecules. There is a waterproof coating product called Ultra-Ever Dry. It is used to waterproof almost any object. I will embed the video below that shows different (Ultra-Ever Dry coated) objects submerged in water.

This reminded me of the episode of Mythbusters where they try to shoot a .50 calliber bullet through water (which will be embedded below). The bullet doesn't make it very far before breaking up into pieces, and losing speed.

Now here's me question:: If you used the Ultra-Ever Dry on a clip full of bullets, would it yield the same results that the Mythbusters did when firing into water?

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Upon shooting a bullet into a pool of water, the bullet would shatter due to the surface tension of the water. That said, Ultra-Ever Dry does nothing to negate the surface tension of the pool of water; therefore, we would expect similar results.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   

jeenyus2008
Now here's me question:: If you used the Ultra-Ever Dry on a clip full of bullets, would it yield the same results that the Mythbusters did when firing into water?

It's not a clip; It's a magazine. In both cases the magazine stayed dry, with or without the coating.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Pistoche

I agree when it comes to surface tension, but if you watch the top video posted you will see that it almost pushes water away. I guess I would have to do the experiment to conclude for sure. I'm torn between the surface tension still playing a factor when using the Ultra-Ever Dry. Thank you for your reply though!!

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I think you know what I meant... If you coated each individual bullet and then put them into a MAGAZINE.
edit on 13-3-2014 by jeenyus2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
If anything the force of the impact will strip the coating.

I use never wet on my shoes, its not durrable, it flakes off easy, hydrophobic material is rather interesting but its not Teflon, if anything it makes the item more gritty not smoother.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   

jeenyus2008

I think you know what I meant... If you coated each individual bullet and then put them into a MAGAZINE.

And I think you know your question was a tongue in cheek joke anyway.....

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Yeah, that's why I took time while I'm working to post this... As a joke... Why did you reply? It was a quick thought that I wanted to get other opinions on. I apologize that you wasted your time reading this thread. Now if you could kindly not derail this thread anymore than you already have. I am thoroughly curious on the opinions of others, and not so much on sarcasm. Please, if you have nothing informative related to the question in the OP, then don't reply. I would rather have a thread with no replies than a thread with sarcastic belittling comments.

Btw, what is it with you and replying to threads with nothing but sarcasm. Do you think people really learn anything from it? Are you the smartest man/woman on this planet? Armchair expert.
edit on 13-3-2014 by jeenyus2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Thanks for your input. I have never actually used any waterproofing agents before. Though the thought did occur to me that a bullet traveling that fast might lose the coating passing through water. Could you put a heavier coat on it, or would it not matter?

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   
I would say the sheer heat and explosive gas's in the barrell would take any coating right off the round. I doubt there would be any coating left by the time the round impacted it's target. The round would have to be made out of this stuff, even if that would do any good against the water's tension. Bullets were simply not created to fly thru water.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
The only aftermarket coating that you can apply to a bullet (that I am aware of) that actually works is to Moly-coat them. Heat resistant and significantly reduces friction. Molybdenum Disulfide. You can get it in spray cans.

Works great on missile rails and bomb rack locking lugs as well, if you have any laying around...

Also works awesome on small arms... handgun slides, bolts, barrel bushings, etc...
edit on 13-3-2014 by madmac5150 because: A last moment thought missed by omission

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I saw that mythbusters and the only bullet that didnt dientegrate upon hitting the water was the old musket lead ball. Not due to its make up but from its low velocity compared to the other rounds tested.

I would say no to your question. A solid round of ammo is waterproof on its own, so a waterproofing agent wouldnt help.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 08:36 AM
link   
The bullet itself would have to launch a small projectile from it's tip to break the water so that it could enter itself. Even then, the result would probably be the same?

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Fylgje

Now that's the kind of thinking I like to hear
Interesting thought Fylgje
How would you necessarily break water? Can you weaken surface tension?
edit on 14-3-2014 by jeenyus2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 17 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by jeenyus2008

Sorry it took me so long to get back

Only if the projectile launched from the bullet can leave a tunnel-like hole in the water for the bullet to enter.-That would determine how much further the bullet could travel before losing all of it's energy.

top topics

join