It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chris Matthews accepts Democratic loss of Senate.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   

jimmyx

buster2010
Democrats will not only keep the Senate they will also take the House. The reason why they will be able to do this is simple in fighting between the GOP and the Tea Party will screw the Republicans this time around. The leaders of the GOP needs to tell the Tea Party to form their own party and stop running on the Republican ticket.

no, no buster....we must keep the tea party alive and well, just think if they put up Ted Cruz for the 2016 election, that'll be a fun couple of months

The only fun thing about seeing Cruz run would be to see how many of the people that cried Obama is not a natural born citizen say the same thing about Cruz who was born in Canada.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by azdaze

That is a really good question.

I'd like to see Brit's response as well!

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 03:48 PM
link   

azdaze

buster2010
. The leaders of the GOP needs to tell the Tea Party to form their own party and stop running on the Republican ticket.

Why should the GOP do that? They didn't do it 30 years ago when the religious crazies started throwing their weight around in the party, and a case can be made that the religious crazies have been far more detrimental to the GOP long term than the Tea Party ever could.

Because the crazies back then still called themselves Republicans. They didn't talk about themselves like they were another party.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 04:34 PM
link   

azdaze
reply to post by BritofTexas

So if a party that has absolute power fails to make the average American's life better in any measurable way, if they haven't been lambasted at the polls , then why would an opposing party be lambasted at the polls for merely opposing every measure ?

If the Republicans control the Senate and the House...

The Neo-Cons will try to pass bills to send troops into Iran, Syria and the Ukraine. This will upset the Libertarians and the Tea Party as it is not Isolationist and costs a lot of money. Obama as Commander in Chief will not send them even if the Bill passes.

The Libertarians will try to pass bills cutting the budget for Entitlements and Defense. This will upset the the Neo-Cons because they want shiny new Tanks and upset the Tea Party because it would cut Medicare and Social Security. The can pass one to cut Food Stamps etc, but Obama has that pesky Veto Pen.

The Tea Party will try to pass bills banning Gay Marriage, Contraception and Atheism. This will upset the Libertarians because of "Freedom" and upset the Neo-Cons because the Chamber of Commerce don't like the Idea.

In the interests of space I have only chosen three examples out of many.

The whole Party will turn into one bickering mess, worse than it is now. Out of the ashes may come an electable Party. But it would be many a year before the voting public trust them again.

Their place on the Ballot will be taken by another, probably the Libertarian Party (if they don't get tarnished by association). Or the Green Party if the Democrats keep moving toward the Right.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
A political junkie like him would love to see the crazy, anti-human GOP in power, so he could salivate and drool at the intrigue and fiasco a complete GOP rule would bring on the world.

This clown, and fake liberal, actually wanted Bush to beat Gore in 2000 so he could have his political junkie fun, even though because of Bush MILLIONS of human beings are dead who wouldn’t have been if Gore got elected.

Believe me if the stupid American people vote in a complete GOP rule again, the world may end in a fiery destruction.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   

BritofTexas

azdaze

So if a party that has absolute power fails to make the average American's life better in any measurable way, if they haven't been lambasted at the polls , then why would an opposing party be lambasted at the polls for merely opposing every measure ?

If the Republicans control the Senate and the House...

The Neo-Cons will try to pass bills to send troops into Iran, Syria and the Ukraine. This will upset the Libertarians and the Tea Party as it is not Isolationist and costs a lot of money. Obama as Commander in Chief will not send them even if the Bill passes.

The Libertarians will try to pass bills cutting the budget for Entitlements and Defense. This will upset the the Neo-Cons because they want shiny new Tanks and upset the Tea Party because it would cut Medicare and Social Security. The can pass one to cut Food Stamps etc, but Obama has that pesky Veto Pen.

The Tea Party will try to pass bills banning Gay Marriage, Contraception and Atheism. This will upset the Libertarians because of "Freedom" and upset the Neo-Cons because the Chamber of Commerce don't like the Idea.

In the interests of space I have only chosen three examples out of many.

The whole Party will turn into one bickering mess, worse than it is now. Out of the ashes may come an electable Party. But it would be many a year before the voting public trust them again.

Their place on the Ballot will be taken by another, probably the Libertarian Party (if they don't get tarnished by association). Or the Green Party if the Democrats keep moving toward the Right.

Very well put!!!

However you give libertarians too little credit.

They are and have been the silent majority for many years.

They are now becoming, as of late, the outspoken majority.

The libertarian party is IMHO( I could be wrong as well as right), the only party that actually has "the peoples" best interest in mind.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   

You post that as if it is a foregone conclusion. It really is just speculation on your part though. Is this a fair assessment?

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 04:46 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Actually, That isn't quite the case. One of the elder statesmen of the party, and a most respected voice, Barry Goldwater, actually spoke out about those people and gave a dire warning about what would happen if they gained control.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   

azdaze

You post that as if it is a foregone conclusion. It really is just speculation on your part though. Is this a fair assessment?

Let's call it an educated guess.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by oblvion

I’ll ignore, for your sake, the rude comment.

The Democrats are bad but he GOP is 20 times worst, as human beings and on issues.

The Dems are a bad cold and the GOP is cancer

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

There is no way he seriously believes that! It's his scare tactic to energize the Dems who think everything is fine.

Those that feel a backlash from the nation is inconceivable.

To wake up those into realizing that there actually be a fight coming up.

My guess is he fears the "possibility" of losing the senate. He, still, doesn't really believe it's going to happen....

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
If Matthews wanted to be correct, all he had to say was "The status quo will be maintained."

The political pendulum may swing back and forth, but the fundamental direction in which we move never varies by more than a degree or two. From where I sit, most Americans are authoritarians anyways, so it really makes no difference if they are a red or a blue one.

If your "side" desires to plan the lives of others and endorses an institution of force necessary to impose these plans on unwilling subjects...

Guess what?

edit on 03America/Chicago31pm2014-03-13T19:47:18-05:00201403America/Chicago31 by METACOMET because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I took a little bit of time to put a graphic together to show the way the American system swings almost like clockwork, back and forth and in a general balance.

Bush blew that balance in ideology, as Clinton had before him. Now Obama has blown it further in how far the pendulum swings. It always, historically, swings back. Clinton brought Bush, Bush brought Obama, and Obama brings...??

Here is the general and regular ebb and flow of partisan politics, and this pretty well shows it.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/img/um53224e53.gif[/atsimg]

I'm not worried if the Republicans take over the Senate because nothing much will change. We'll get the crap sandwich from Stage Right, instead of Stage Left ..Oh, and appointment vote by simple majority as Reid so helpfully set precedent for will be a real hoot. (wicked laugh). Turn about is fair play, and that VERY stupid stunt will come back to play hard on him and all who backed him with it. 1 party control, absolutely, for nominations and appointments.

Outside of that though? Both sides have had their time at bat with total, across the board control with both houses of congress AND the White House. Neither side used it to do anything worthy of mention or worth bragging about, anyway. They sure didn't tackle the big problems or strive to overcome the challenges of our time with inspired solutions while they had a free hand to act. Oh..hell no. They padded their own pockets....BOTH of them did, respectively, and they tinkered with rules and the system overall to best serve their own party afterward.

Nothing changes but the faces running the committees and the goofball holding the gavel. They all still have cocktails together around D.C., after they play fight for the public.

It was amusing in this case, watching one of the chief cheerleaders for the far left in Media, throwing in the towel before a season even properly starts.

Sources: US Senate / US House

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I'd like to see both "D" and "R" lose seats to the "L" and "I"'s. Enough to split it all up 4 ways to Sunday.

Probably nothing would still get done...and maybe that is needed.

Or maybe people need to actually start to vet the people who are running. I know that's asking for a whole lot considering the past 14 years.

But if Matthews says the Dems are doomed to lose in '14, I doubt it, he really doesn't have a clue.

And for those that think that Hillary will run, I doubt that as well. She's pretty ill at the moment. After that, who do they have to run?

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I wouldn't be counting my eggs before they hatch on either side so soon..........Politics has a funny way of changing on a dime.

It does look promising for the Republicans in the Senate as of right now. Democrats are pushing agendas that have considerable opposition, even within their own party, not a good starting point.

Dems don't look unified nor motivated at this point. When you have members of your own party running from the President's own policies, I think it's safe to say they are in trouble.

Please spin that around into a positive thing for the Democrats, I love good comedy. They need to offer a compelling future, so far the Democrats haven't. Republicans haven't done that either. If the Republicans gain control of the Senate and push a "Jobs first" agenda......look out it's going to be a Avalanche in 2016.

2016 is going to be a watershed Presidential election.....should be interesting.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Nothing changes but the faces running the committees and the goofball holding the gavel. They all still have cocktails together around D.C., after they play fight for the public.

An excellent chart, thanks for taking the time. It is a broken, or not fully utilized system
And yet so many here continue to revel in division, hate and hypocrisy, making us fools while they(politicians/media) sit back and play their parts.
All these sharp minds here that have to know this manufactured left/right paradigm is so destructive in politics and media, but continue to lambast politicians and those who support them. This bitter fighting just irks me, but so goes politics and those trying to keep up with it I suppose.
I love you all by the way.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 09:22 PM
link   

TDawgRex
I'd like to see both "D" and "R" lose seats to the "L" and "I"'s. Enough to split it all up 4 ways to Sunday.

Probably nothing would still get done...and maybe that is needed.

Or maybe people need to actually start to vet the people who are running. I know that's asking for a whole lot considering the past 14 years.

But if Matthews says the Dems are doomed to lose in '14, I doubt it, he really doesn't have a clue.

And for those that think that Hillary will run, I doubt that as well. She's pretty ill at the moment. After that, who do they have to run?

Alan Grayson would be a good choice for the Dems. In some ways he thought pretty much like Ron Paul and he wasn't afraid to speak his mind.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Can't say I like Grayson, entirely to emotional. Kucinich would be a better choice but he has a chance in hell if the past is anything to look at.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 11:38 PM
link   
We can only hope. I have no love for the Republican party but I live to see the day when the people who forced Obamacare on me and everyone else who didn't want it will have to deal with the same kind of thoughtless oppression.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join