It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Herbs of Utnapisjtim: Populus Tremula

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Firstly: 1000 thanks to Danbones for bringing Aspen to my awareness. This one was especially fun working with.

Aspen, or Osp in Norwegian, is of the Populus family, and is related to the Salicaceae genus including willow. There are a few variants, but I will focus on the sort that lives here in Norway, Populus Tremula.

As it turns out it holds a few well kept secrets. Both aspen and willow contain quite a bit of the alcoholic β-glucoside salicin [1] (from Lat. salix, willow tree) in the form of different salts and esters (salicylates). Now. When beavers consume willow or aspen, the salicin metabolism produces salicylic acid [2] (SA), which combined with hydrogen peroxide [3] (H2O2) form the basis in any treatment of acne:

Salicylic acid and hydrogen peroxide cream are both effective acne treatments. Hydrogen peroxide cream is used to get rid of acne and prevent future outbreaks. Salicylic acid is a strong treatment that slows down the shedding of cells inside hair follicles. It also breaks down pimples and other blemishes. Proper application of these products is the first step in fighting acne.[4]

Extracting SA from the beaver-droppings may not be the most pleasant of affairs, but it could be done in a rather basic home lab. However, no beaver need apply, for you can extract and process salicylates directly from the bark with much the same equipment:

The bark of the Aspen tree is rich in salicylates which may function as a defensive mechanism against invading parasites. These salicylates may be isolated from Aspen Bark and applied to cosmetic and personal care products as a natural alternative to more traditional preservative systems.[5]

And here is a discription of what you need to extract SA from willow bark, I suppose the process is similar for aspen:

50 cm3 pear-shaped flask
reflux condenser and tubing
test tubes (4)
dropper pipettes (2)
access to an electric coffee grinder or scissors or scalpel
solutions of 2-hydroxybenzoic acid (salicylic acid) in 50:50 ethanol:water (1 cm3 of each solution):
- 0.2 g per 100 cm3
- 0.02 g per 100 cm3
- 0.002 g per 100 cm3
neutral 0.1 mol dm-3 iron(III) chloride solution (1 cm3)
sulfuric(VI) acid, 2 mol dm-3 (15 cm3)
potassium manganate(VII) solution, 0.2 mol dm-3 (15 cm3)
fresh willow twigs or willow bark
sodium carbonate solution, 1 moldm-3 (or other suitable alkali)[6]

Another interesting thing about salicin is that it can also be processed into acetylsalicylic acid, the basic ingredient in Aspirin (Aspen - Asperin sounds related?):

Aspirin (USAN), also known as acetylsalicylic acid [...], is a salicylate drug, often used as an analgesic to relieve minor aches and pains, as an antipyretic to reduce fever, and as an anti-inflammatory medication. The active ingredient of Aspirin was first discovered from the bark of the willow tree in 1763 by Edward Stone of Wadham College, Oxford University. He had discovered salicylic acid, the active metabolite of aspirin. Aspirin was first synthesized by Felix Hoffmann, a chemist with the German company Bayer in 1897.

More traditional applications involve giving horses leaves and bark from aspen in cases of diarrhea (alternately administer a decoction if it refuse to eat), and aspen also helps against intestinal parasites in livestock in general. Decoctions of the bark can be drunk against common cold, and the same decoction can be used externally to ease pain in the case of gout. Bathe the limb that hurts in it or saturate a piece of cloth and apply it thus.[8]

Sources:
==> [1] en.wikipedia.org...
==> [2] en.wikipedia.org...
==> [3] en.wikipedia.org...
==> [4] www.ehow.com...
==> [5] www.theherbarie.com... (basically a shop, not in any way trying to promote the store)
==> [6] www.justanswer.com...
==> [7] en.wikipedia.org...
==> [8] Bjørn Våde: Nyttige Planter, ISBN 82-7900-061-5 (in Norwegian)
edit on 13-3-2014 by Utnapisjtim because: Credits and phonetic similarity between Aspirin and Aspen

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   
salicylic acid is a really good thing to get persistent stains off of your fingers/hands.

I was left with some free acne treatments from a roommate who moved out, and as I don't have an acne problem, I naturally decided to experiment with its' acidic properties. I had some pretty stubborn ink/dye like stains deep in the skin on my fingers and palms once, and that stuff, rubbed in, then combined with hot water and hand soap afterward, removed it.

almost like nail polish remover, except different, and IMO, easier on your skin by far!

also, 'Bismuth Subsalicylate' is derived from the salicylic family...

en.wikipedia.org...
Bismuth subsalicylate (the active ingredient in Pepto-Bismol) is used as an antidiarrheal and to treat some other gastro-intestinal diseases (oligodynamic effect, which relates to killing microbes with small doses of heavy metals).
The means by which this appears to work is still not well documented. It is thought to be some combination of:
Retarding the expulsion of fluids into the digestive system by irritated tissues, by "coating" them.
Reducing inflammation/irritation of stomach and intestinal lining.
Killing some bacteria that cause diarrhea. There is evidence that salicylic acid from hydrolysis of the drug is antimicrobial for E. coli.[3]

edit on 3/13/2014 by r0xor because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/13/2014 by r0xor because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   

r0xor
salicylic acid is a really good thing to get persistent stains off of your fingers/hands.

Thanks for the tip. However digesting SA is not something to be experimented with, as there are some rather less desired effects that may occur, like hearing loss, and we wouldn't want that, would we?:

As a topical agent, and as a beta-hydroxy acid (and unlike alpha-hydroxy acids), salicylic acid is capable of penetrating and breaking down fats and lipids, making it capable of causing moderate chemical burns of the skin if at very high concentrations. It is capable of damaging the lining of pores in such cases if the solvent is alcohol, acetone, or an oil. Over-the-counter limits are set at 2% for topical left on the face and 3% for those expected to be washed off, such as acne cleansers or shampoo. [...] When ingested, salicylic acid has a possible ototoxic effect by inhibiting prestin. It can induce transient hearing loss in zinc-deficient individuals. This finding is based on clinical studies with rats. An injection of salicylic acid induced hearing loss in zinc-deficient rats, while a simultaneous injection of zinc reversed the hearing loss. An injection of magnesium in the zinc-deficient rats did not reverse the salicylic acid-induced hearing loss.
Safety on salicylic acid at wikipedia
edit on 13-3-2014 by Utnapisjtim because: being more precise

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Very good information...S&F. One thing I found out when researching the poplar tree is that the leaves can be used to make a tea which does contribute some of the silica to the tea. Upon consuming the tea, it does through metabolic processes form a similar chemistry to aspirin. No beaver needed, our bodies can preform this action from the tea. This information was kind of neglected to pass on by people since aspirins have been available for cheap for a long time. The birch trees also possess this also. The pops in the poplar wood when burning are from the silica crystals sometimes in the wood. Cedar also pulls up silica and makes crystals, it dulls the saw blades when working it. Cedar can't be used for the aspirin effect though, it's tannins aren't for us. Strange to find how trees make silica sand.

Too much silica is not good for us, that is evident in the fact that aspirins do cause a lot of problems including tinnitis.

I tried the poplar tea after watching the deer eating the leaves on a tree that fell over. I wanted to know why they really liked those leaves....Maybe they were hung over from eating too many fermented apples.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Utnapisjtim

I love your herbal dailies. Herbalism is being throttled in the UK although perhaps something many didn't know was that Henry VIII decided to protect the herbalists and gave them the only permission granted to over write al allopathic doctor's prescription. He apparently didn't hold with the way allopathic medicine was taking over from the herbalists and naturopaths.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Shiloh7

I love your herbal dailies. Herbalism is being throttled in the UK although perhaps something many didn't know was that Henry VIII decided to protect the herbalists and gave them the only permission granted to over write al allopathic doctor's prescription. He apparently didn't hold with the way allopathic medicine was taking over from the herbalists and naturopaths.

Is that where the green they call "Good King Henry" gets it name?

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Shiloh7

Wasn't Henry the V111 the one who kept chopping heads of his women off?
Maybe he should have married a herbalist

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Yes, he was quite a character and married six times, one dying after the other, either on the block or in mysterious circumstances when failing to give him a male heir. Henry VIII was also the man behind the English Reformation and was eventually excomminicated by the Roman church for this.

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   
i just eat the leaves

one caution
way too much asa can be hard on the immune system so one should always keep an eye on dosage

keep em coming Utn, these threads are great, and may save some heartache for the peeps SHTF
or in case of obamacare...lol, like i said..shtf

im henery-henery the eighth i am i am...
never even thought to check if he ever did anything good...
its amazing what you can hide behind a little misogyny

edit on Friam3b20143America/Chicago20 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

eta- catkins often taste not to bad...
edit on Friam3b20143America/Chicago24 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Danbones
i just eat the leaves

one caution
way too much asa can be hard on the immune system so one should always keep an eye on dosage

ASA as in AcetylSalicylic Acid? If so, I would add that the legal limits for using AS (not ASA) in skincare lotions is about 2%. I guess there are safety limits also for ASA, so care should be taken. As with all chemicals and the herbs containing them.

keep em coming Utn, these threads are great, and may save some heartache for the peeps SHTF
or in case of obamacare...lol, like i said..shtf

Talking of acronyms, the TSHF one that people all over this board seems to use in synonym with war and Harmagheddon and other endtimes scenarios. I've been meaning to ask: What does it mean? Doing some secular hermenautics on the board and into the posts it shows up in has left me with SHTF being short for "Schit Hits The Fan". According to www.acronymfinder.com... there is also another one listed: "State Housing Trust Fund", but this doesn't seem to cover the timorousity oosing in some sentances surroundig this acronym.

im henery-henery the eighth i am i am...
never even thought to check if he ever did anything good...
its amazing what you can hide behind a little misogyny

Yeah, the guy was a killer. Wicked. In the jazz sense

eta- catkins often taste not to bad...

Another acronym I've seen around the board. So I'll just ask: "Edited To Add?" Again I've consulted acronymfinder.com for subjects, and guessing it has something to do with Editing the above one is my best bet.

This post somehow looks to be more about acronyms, and less about your experiences with chewing cud
And don't worry, I see this research into acronyms quite similar to all other research, I love it

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Utnapisjtim, I just would like to say that I have thoroughly enjoyed your posts concerning herbs and their applications in holistic medicine. You have been gathering quite the bounty of stars from me, keep up the good work!!

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Luvin the dailies!

SA is great for a mild exfoliative peel! You know, the aspirin peel.. might be more natural by doing a willow or aspen mask.

Aspen - Aspirin... who knew?! =D

posted on Mar, 14 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by nomoregmo

reply to post by gardener

Thankyou both for kind words, makes me happy knowing lots of people like these threads. I love making them, every part of it

top topics

join