It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

please respect my religion

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I think that we should be polite to other people regardless of their religious preferences.

However, I think that respect is earned.

If I so admired a persons life that I was moved to ask about it, and they explained that it was based on their religion, then I might respect that.

I don't think that we should just issue blanket statements about respecting other peoples religions. But I do think that we should be polite to all people unless they prove that they are not worthy.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

hahahaha

You know, some Jehovahs witnesses once came knocking on my door, and that was when I had first joined ATS (and was in a couple debates with Christians) and I thought well, they are here...

So I asked them for a bible, I said I don't have a bible and I would like one (I did not mention I planned on using it for purposes of debate... lol...)

Anyway they looked all shocked at me like I was some kind of a freak of nature not to have a bible, anyway they said they would come back and never did...

hahaha.. that is apparently one way to scare them off...ask for a bible.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

the2ofusr1
reply to post by Danbones

Well dan I cam to that conclusion from reading the bible . No religious back ground or organized religion involved .There are way too many things that I don't agree with about organized religion . I guess for me it was when I realized what the church was in fact and seen that what society calls the church today is not . Like someone said earlier that people met in their homes .And where two or more are gathered in His name ,that constitutes a church . It's not a building made of wood and stone .It's not a man made thing .

i agree the churches are problematic
to me if you live your life in dignity and allow others to have their dignity
you are golden

I think that the mistake that's often made is to assume belief in a diety allows one to not have to take responsibility for one's own actions. That gives some permission to do harm...like they have paid for an indulgence.
I aspire to behave the way you describe but, i will proudly wear my mistakes on my soul, and say yeah, I effed up.

I also think that without fixing the damage done...with a humble attitude...
forgiveness from a third party is like monopoly money...looks good, but it won't get you a room in a blizzard.

There is a story about vikings in Greenland,( i can not verify this, but it is told, ) who were starving and the weather was getting worse because they were entering what we call a mini ice age. No supply ships made it through the pack ice, which was further south that year then they had ever seen it, the animals were eaten, and the meager crops failed the last year.

The Innuit said we will help you hunt, but you must come to our ceremonies to ask permission from the spirits of the animals we are about to harm to ask their permission as they have a right to be as much as us, and without their spiritual permission we will be unsuccessful in the hunt.

The priest forbade the vikings to go because the heathens were blaspheming the lord with their pagan ceremonies, and so were EVIL.

They found the bones in the church yard had the kind of cut marks that indicate cannibalism...

The priest was the last the last go, they say he died completely mad...no cut marks on his bones...
And he was buried by the Innuit as a sign of respect, or fear that his spirit would walk the land...hungry.

never verified this but it is told.

edit on Thupm3b20143America/Chicago37 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Listening to what another has to say is the sincerest respect. I have a relative that belongs to one of those religions that knock on doors and preach about their biblical viewpoint, i.e., their leaders' interpretation of biblical doctrines.

She is always "witnessing" to me, but the moment I enter the conversation with my thoughts, her ears close and she acts offended that I don't share her beliefs. This religion shuns those who leave, even their own family members!! Even if you leave to follow a different spiritual path, you are shunned and treated like a leper. Respect? All I respect is your right to have a religion, but I don't have to respect hate and intolerance disguised as a loving organization hiding behind misquoted, misinterpreted, and misapplied scriptures.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
If they come to your door, be glad.
Ask for monetary help, because god fearing people should help poor people because god tell them so.
If fail, "I hate your religion!"

Result: Gain some free bucks and items from god fearing people.
Zolthar will turn OLD MANS into JUICE. so, beware.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by OpinionatedB

marriage

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

I made a thread on that a while back so that I could gain some understanding in that area.

Allow me to explain the religious thinking and confusion here. Religious people see marriage as a contract or vow before God - not a secular institution.

The problem was when we made a religious institution something the state had anything to do with in a state where there is separation of church and state... that is where the real problem began.

Then, it became confused whether marriage was a religious institution or simply a legal institution...Religious people are just now understanding what happened with their religious institution by allowing state involvement in the first place in a country where there is separation of church and state.

I as a religious person now have a greater understanding how this very religious institution came to be viewed secularly... so now what religious people have to do, is start taking their religious institutions out of the state...

Hopefully that makes sense... but that is where the confusion is. And it will be confusing for a while... with merit.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Hey the religious people made their bed. They need to lie in it now. Marriage is now a secular institution in this country. That isn't going to change anytime soon.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

None of us are perfect and so we fall short and do offend .I don't wear my offences on my sleeve but they are not far off in my memory .In some cases while trying to make amends for those where possible I find that there was no notice of it as being a offence . I guess sometimes it's a matter of perception .some times people will take the silliest stance on nonsensical things they have never stop to consider . Thanks for that story about the Vikings .Kind of like the Cartier one on his first winter frozen in the St. Lawrence . Pride , arrogance and ignorance will get you every time . peace

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

I agree with you to an extent.

It will change however, to the extent that those who see marriage as religious take their marriages only before God, and not the state. There is a growing call for this, it is now being done in several states by the more devote Christians.

Those who see marriage as a legal and state institution, can take their marriages before the state.

This makes it very simple.... its just something that will take people time to realize, and adjust to.

edit on 13-3-2014 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:45 PM
link   

I don't need a man made institution to be married . It's after all a agreement between the two ....peace

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Insofar as specific details of a philosophy (religious or otherwise) go, from my personal perspective, any talk of spiritual, metaphysical phenomena that willfully skirts the critical eye of the scientific method; that is, a philosophy that says I will accept what it is I believe in without skeptical examination or a preponderance of conformity to the norms of physical science, is only worthy of my condemnation. My thoughts on the matter can be succinctly summed in a philosophically productive maxim, "The pinnacle of spiritual apotheosis, in accord with the methodology of natural science." Or perhaps something a little more contemporary? "So let's raise the bar and our cups to the stars." – Daft Punk

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by the2ofusr1

You do if you want the government benefits that said man-made institution entails. Look, I'm not saying it's right. I'm just saying that this is currently the way things work. Personally, I could care less if it is religious or secular. It's all a waste of time anyways. If you want to be with someone then be with them, you don't need some ancient ritual to make it official.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   

In the province of Quebec CA. they want to remove all religious symbols from state functions . I would think that a Catholic priest who performs a service for the state would run into some crazy conflicts when marrying and burring . I am not sure how the conversation has been going over that but it's not hard to imagine some real problems ...

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
When I was in high school my friends mother befriended two mormon kids...you know ones. The bike riding, door knocking, white shirt/black tie guys. We are godless heathens and they were told on their first visit if they didn't talk about religion they could come by whenever they wanted, so they never did talk about it. My friend had a pretty big piece of property for the area (about 5 acres) and they would just hang out and help around the property...cut grass, work on cars. We'd play basketball and ride dirt bikes/motorcycles, that sort of stuff all summer.

Finally near the end of summer I asked them why they even did their "mission"- being away from home and friends for a year (two?) bothering people at home. We were pretty good friends at that point and they were very candid and told me they basically hated it, just did it because it was expected and that they weren't really "hardcore believers" anyway. It was just something they had to get through. They spent as much time as they could with us to avoid knocking on doors.

I learned from those guys that not all of "those people" (meaning people that don't believe what I believe) are nutty.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   

As far as I can tell ,the first legal document wasn't for the marriage but for the divorce .I would think by not getting into a state contract it would be much easier and cheaper then lining the pockets of these parasite lawyers . Save time and money ...peace

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Hey, I don't want to get married at all. It's going to take a very forceful woman to get me to change my mind. I understand that I can be just as happy without legal documents or religious people telling me that we are together. That way I don't have to worry about divorce, I just break up with her.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   

I think that ,that equates to it being a God made institute .As far as a woman being forceful enough to convince you,well all I can say is that there is such a thing .It's not a theory but is a fact . You just may have been lucky enough to have avoided the creature . lol

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   

the2ofusr1

In the province of Quebec CA. they want to remove all religious symbols from state functions . I would think that a Catholic priest who performs a service for the state would run into some crazy conflicts when marrying and burring . I am not sure how the conversation has been going over that but it's not hard to imagine some real problems ...

Strictly IMHO: i can see that the Quebecois are trying to level the playing field re government employees so its fair for everyone and to prevent religious issues inviting conflict interfering with the conduct of government business.

if religion is personal...why the need to advertise one's beliefs on the job? to me "taking the lords name in vain" is not about other people swearing, which in Quebec is all about catholic stuff..Tabernac!,
its from the root word of vanity:
BRAGGING about being a christian as a sign of superiority is prohibited by a commandment, yet its something certain groups interpret as the right to be more concerned with other peoples conduct then their own.

it also prevents minority groups from being targeted if there is a conflict involving religion somewhere else in the world because quebec has lots of immigrants of all creeds colors and hairstyle

edit on Thupm3b20143America/Chicago45 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on Thupm3b20143America/Chicago50 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Krazysh0t

Hey, I don't want to get married at all. It's going to take a very forceful woman to get me to change my mind. I understand that I can be just as happy without legal documents or religious people telling me that we are together. That way I don't have to worry about divorce, I just break up with her.

Women though, in some ways are all about marriage because they need the security of knowing its a shared responsibility for what they often end up being stuck with on their own...they have to face an element of risk that men do not.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join