It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama says: If Obamacare’s Too Expensive, Cancel Cable, Cell Phone

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   

calstorm
No cell phone or cable here. I am one of the most frugal people you will every meet. I cringe when I have to spend money on new shoes or clothing. My entire wardrobe could pretty much be washed in two loads of clothes. I don't eat out, I cook from scratch. I never drive anywhere that I don't have too and I stream line my trips to run errands to get the most out of it for the least gas.

I splurge on books and the internet, that is it. So now tell me what to cut out Obama? Give up my books?

Well, I guess I could save money by eating cheap junk food ruining my health so that I actually needed Obama care.

Just being helpful here, don't read too far into this. You don't have to cut books out of your pass times by not buying them. I know that they are quickly becoming irrelevant thanks to the internet, but libraries still do exist. Our local library has even started to stock movies and tv series which you can check out for free. Completely trumps Netflix.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Oh the absolute rich irony of it all.

The biggest POS in Govt that has pushed crap like "My brother's keeper", no budget for the last several years, Govt paying for almost everything, decrying anyone that says people need to stop being dependent on Govt tells people they need to slim down their budget to purchase 0bamacare.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000
reply to post by jimmyx

As a cost he must pay, by force of law, without any options and for the very right to simply live in this nation? Yes. It's absolutely too much.

Although, to my thinking? $1 is too much under those circumstances and we're still dealing with the very first absolute cost to be an American resident our nation has seen in it's history. There are many of us who are not and likely will never be able to accept that. However good the cause it's for or whatever the basis for it's existence. It's an absolute tax to live as it stands now. Little else, for many in benefit, but it is that for all in cost.

however good the cause is?....you're kidding right?...how about, I don't want to be charged more for my healthcare, because some dumbass has to go into the hospital, and can't pay his own way (that little thing called taking responsibility) because he refused to get covered, even though he has job...we have enough people that don't have any income already coming into the hospital, and you want to add more?....where do you think this money comes from for the hospital stay?....a money tree?...piles of cash dropping out of the sky?

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Jimmyboy,

Have you even watched the two videos?

They contradict each other and are proof of lies, fraud, and Obama can't remember any of his puppet speeches.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by generik

Today the internet is a must have around here for kids in school. Parents have to "rent" iPods and Macs for the year. My 8th grader has no textbooks - they're all digital and only accessible online. Same with homework - math and science are all online. This is through the local public school district....not an e-school, not homeschooling. Go to the library for internet access? Not an option when the local library closes at 4 pm during the week and is not open Sundays. I have had many neighborhood kids through the years doing homework at my house because their families couldn't afford to have tv, cable, internet and still afford things like water, electricity, and heat.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by halfpint0701

Absolutely, my son is about to graduate from tech school, he volunteered at the computer lab which is a place which refurbishes donated computers for those who cannot afford computers, the grade schools tell the lower income parents to go there, they are a must.
edit on 093131p://bThursday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

however good the cause is?....you're kidding right?...how about, I don't want to be charged more for my healthcare, because some dumbass has to go into the hospital, and can't pay his own way (that little thing called taking responsibility) because he refused to get covered, even though he has job...we have enough people that don't have any income already coming into the hospital, and you want to add more?....where do you think this money comes from for the hospital stay?....a money tree?...piles of cash dropping out of the sky?

There are violations of principle that transcend **ANY** cause it could be done for.

Forcing me to pay either Government sponsored private companies for insurance (with these up front costs/deductibles...that term is very relative) OR pay the Federal Government for failure to comply .....JUST to live and exist in my own nation....IS just such a principle.

We're being force fed the B.S. that principle is for idiots and it doesn't matter....because really, it HAS to stop mattering for crap like this to be tolerated by people at all. I'm scared to see how many have accepted a tax to live, as this absolutely is now in our nation.

It's a leap that barely even saw a fight put up by the majority, beyond quiet grumbling....and fading as time goes. For what? The medical system had come to be rough at the hands of insurance companies and big pharma profits before. Precisely what changed or improved to someone today?

In SOME cases..and to SOME %, I will admit by my own research effort, people have benefited. SOME do.

Every bad idea has exceptions to make it look good to some.

+7 more 
posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   

perception8
listen, the US gov't is as corrupt as any other gov't that has ever existed. Republican, Democrat, makes no difference. They are both owned and controlled by the same people. And yes Obama was seen as the saviour, as being different and someone who will make a difference. And in the end he's as corrupt and controlled as all the rest. (lets not go crazy though, George "I'm a moron" Bush still takes the cake). But put aside all the corruption and tyranny that your gov't is responsible for, and take a good look at what having universal healthcare would be like. Our system (in Canada) isn't the best, but my son needed open-heart surgery and received it. No line ups, no waiting, NO COST. He also required a couple of other surgeries that were also no waiting or cost. And he received the best quality care we have. He's right, most people don't care about healthcare until they or a family member needs it. Most developed countries around the world have some form of universal healthcare controlled and paid for with taxes. That's because they identify quality healthcare as a RIGHT that everyone should have, not just those lucky to be born into wealth. Having a "user fee" is good to detour anyone from abusing the system. But I have to say $315 seems excessive to me, especially for someone earning $36k. At that income level that same guy would be paying $138 up here. I also doubt that the US plan covers as much as ours does. For the most part, everything except cosmetic surgery is covered.

Anyhow, just saying that once you have universal healthcare you would NEVER let it go. If they attempted to take ours away, I think its the one thing that would make us put down our hockey sticks and beer, and pick up the pitchforks to take back control.

Obamacare is not universal healthcare, it a massive payoff to the insurance companies at the point of a gun.

$315 a month was just for the coverage, then one must still pay the $7,000 deductible before the insurance covers anything.

In other words, you paying them thousands a a year for something most folks still cant even afford to use.

The average American doesnt even need $7,000 a year medical care, I know I dont, I havent spent $7,000 in medical care in the last 15 years.

So it is basically worthless to most of us, because it is way more than we would spend on care in a year anyways, and then we still cant use it, because we dont have $7,000 just laying around to pay the deductible so the insurance will kick in.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

There has to be a few that it benefits. Otherwise, who would the POTUS put up on the balcony during his state of the union address?

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

So know you preach personal responsibility????

This Thursday can't get any better.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   

acmpnsfal

I don't see how this is targeting the poor, they get subsidies on their health insurance. Someone making 36,000 a year would be considered middle class, 300 month for three people is a very fair price. I pay half that, make less, and thats with my employers contribution. I would have no problem paying that amount if I was pulling in what the person asking the question was, not to mention, Obama probably is right about budgeting. If you pay for a bunch of status symbols instead of keeping up with your health your priorities are out of order. I wonder how these people would fare if health care was taken directly out of their paychecks or in other taxes like in first world countries with universal health care. I guess they would all be bankrupt.

edit on 12-3-2014 by acmpnsfal because: (no reason given)

I make 30,000/year (2,500/month) with a newborn at home (family of 3). I am lower middle class, and do not qualify for federal assistance. I work at an office that offers what the government labels "affordable healthcare" but the price for my work insurance for my family is 550.00/month (20% of my income before taxes)!

If my office did not offer "affordable healthcare" I would have qualified for a 215.00/month (less than 10% of my income before taxes) Obamacare policy. But because my employer offers something labeled "affordable" (though at 20% it is not affordable); I must either pay my employer rate, or pay the full cost of the insurance policy out of pocket!

I decided to sign up with a private Kaiser policy paying the full cost out of pocket (450.00/month), because it was still cheaper then my "affordable healthcare" policy offered by my employer.

I had to move my family into my mother's basement and use her cable/internet in order to cuts the cost of Obamacare's impact on my family. Taking dollars out of my landlord's and cable companies pocket and giving it to Health Insurance companies. A service I have not used in 12 years (not been to the hospital or had any medical procedure performed in 12 years); without my choice.

This whole process is ridiculous. I wish my employer offered no healthcare policy, at least then we could all qualify for Uncle Sam to pay other peoples tax dollars to cover the cost of my policy. Because that is what this is, either you pay 450-750/month for your "affordable" insurance policy (though employer or private), or you take American tax dollars away from the working class to cover the costs I am unable to cover due to low income.

The only way people are paying what has been advertised as the "affordable" prices (50/month for single adult; 200/month for family) is if your employer does not offer healthcare labeled as "affordable". If every employer decided to stop offering health care, so their employees can qualify for the "affordable healthcare" policies advertised; there would not enough taxes to cover the governments portion of the bill. So they punish the businesses for not offering "affordable healthcare" bby taxing them to make up the difference.

No matter what, someone will be paying this bill, at the price of 450-750/month whether it is all you (450/month in my case); all your employer/contributions labeled as "affordable" (550/month in my case); or a combination of my money and government credits/tax dollars (215/month from me + 320/month from other peoples tax revenue).

The funny thing is the price that is best for me (215/month) is the worst for the government as a whole and the global economic situation in general. Tragic, this whole ordeal simply results in siphoning disposable income from Americans and funneling it into the Health Insurance Companies, which I may or may not ever use then telling me how great an idea it was...

God Bless,

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

Jimmy, your hero cant even get elected again, you dont need to keep stumping for him. He is out in 2016 no matter what people think about him.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   
37 years ago, when I was 8 years old my brother and I were trying to do tricks on our bikes. I wasn't that good and ended up falling and breaking my wrist. My mom took me to the hospital, where they took x-rays, gave me an injection of some sort of pain killer, set the wrist and wrapped it with a fiberglass cast. I know for a fact that the entire bill was $1800. We didnt have insurance, and my dad paid the bill off on payments over 2 years. The hospital and the doctor got their money, I got the care I needed, and my family wasn't saddled with either high insurance premiums or humongous medical bills. What has happened since then?

In the early 1990s I was amazingly sick one winter. Either 1990 or 1991 it was, because I was still working at a knitting factory as a material handler. I went to a local family Dr., who diagnosed me with bronchitis, prescribed me an antibiotic, and gave me a Dr.'s note to stay home from work for up to 5 days. ( I was feeling better and went back in 3). The Dr.'s visit cost me $25, and the prescription cost me $15. For $40 I was cured of my ailment and no insurance was required. What has happened since then?

I often wonder who is responsible for the skyrocketing costs of medical service. The medical field? The insurance companies? The government? Was there actually a conspiracy between all 3 to bilk the American citizen out of their hard earned money? I really don't know. I do know that all this talk about affordable blah blah blah is just a bunch of poppycock, because medical care, except in extreme cases, was affordable for a long time for Americans. And then it changed.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by azdaze

You're certainly right about how it's changed and how it was definitely not always like this.

Be sure to check the bottom there for the sourcing I used and date it was put together for reference, but that's what I was able to total together for the medical part of my budget thread some time back. The change over time is pretty clear in a few categories. None of them good, IMO.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Normally the people that support political campaigns are businesses, not just mega monopolies, but mid sized businesses....

Lack of money in a community would make most businesses fail.

Not sure why he isn't facing charges at the most, and replaced at the least.

Are all these businesses so luciferean/satanic, that they are truly willing to sacrifice themselves for his handlers?

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I wanted to add that 6 years ago I was in intense pain in my back and side. My girlfriend drove me to the emergency room at the Banner Hospital on Thunderbird. Almost as soon as we arrived I promptly vomited right in front of the reception desk. I was quickly taken to a room, examined, and after filling out the required paperwork( while I was in this curtained off room) I was given an injection of demerol and some other drug to keep me from vomiting. I was given an ultrasound and some other test and it was determined that I was passing a rather large kidney stone and it was causing havoc in my ureter. They started an IV, admitted me, took me upstairs, and I was given another shot of demerol a couple hours later. A short while later I wanted to get out of bed because my bladder was quickly filling up from the IV. The nurse brought me a jug with a screen on top to go in, and after the murky orange-brown urine had finished there was a little piece of something on the screen. . . my kidney stone. It was barely anything to write home about, just barely bigger than a flake, but that damn thing sure caused a lot of pain. I was discharged the next morning with prescriptions for percoset, flomax, and antibiotics. A couple weeks later I got the hospital bill in the mail...$18,000!!!. Because of my insurance plan I was responsible for $2,000 of that, out of pocket. So it cost that much for a couple of tests, an examination, a couple of injections, an IV, and a night in a bed. Incredible. And even with insurance the whole thing cost me more money than the entire bill cost when I broke my wrist 30 years earlier. That was the point I wanted to make.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 10:40 AM
link   

I would of boo'd him off the stage.
what a crock.

+4 more 
posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   

buster2010
You are right it's not the governments place to prioritize your life. Just like it's not the governments place to bail you out when you go bankrupt because you had hospital bills you couldn't afford.

The government does not bail you out when you go bankrupt, a court appointed trustee negotiates with the creditors on how any funds should be disbursed. The government does not pay your bills if you are bankrupt.

Unless of course you are the auto industry, financial industry and possibly soon the insurance industry.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

I am sorry, but I have seen with my own two eyes, people collecting food stamps with the newest phones and getting into freaking $40,000 dollar cars. So I am sorry if these people who qualify for food stamps can have those luxuries, then yeah they damn well BETTER have health insurance. Why should they have a $700 dollar cell phone, a $40,000 dollar car, and an Ipad at the food stamp office, and then expect us to pay for their healthcare if they get sick and do not have insurance.

CLEARLY, I do NOT mean this is typical of all people who get food stamps, because it is not. However, when I see 5 or 6 people out of lets say 30 with these kinds of luxuries, it makes me think, yeah you really need food stamps. Also you really need to have more kids, the 3 you have just are not enough!

edit on 13-3-2014 by kurthall because: added

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Is he effing kidding?

Obviously not.

Hell between people being on the mommy and daddies insurance until 26, and people still being on their mommy and daddies versizons 'more everything plan'.

Blah.

Obama is the LAST person to be telling people to change their spending habits.

After raking up 7 trillion dollars during his first term, and by the time he leaves office it will be 20 trillion dollars.

If OBama care is 'too expensive' ?

WTH does he expect for 'passing it without reading the GD bill first'.

Meh

Seriously who the hell does he think he is telling US what we should be spending our money on.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join