It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Probe identifies suspects over Lockerbie bomb

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Europe
Probe identifies suspects over Lockerbie bomb
Al Jazeera uncovers evidence Iran's secret service and a Palestinian group were behind bombing of Pan Am flight 103.
Last updated: 11 Mar 2014 13:54
Listen to this page using ReadSpeaker
Email Article
Print Article
Share article
Send Feedback

Twenty-five years after the Lockerbie bombing, Al Jazeera has uncovered evidence which casts doubt over the entire investigation and trial into what was the biggest case of mass murder ever seen in Scotland.

Documents obtained by the network, and verified by security and legal experts, point to the involvement of Iran's secret service, Hezbollah and the armed group The Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP) - General Command.

Palestinian Implication: Europe Probe identifies suspects over Lockerbie bomb

From Aljazeera: Hezbollah and the armed group The Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP) - General Command are implicated in the Lockerbie bombing with Iran's secret service. In a shocking change of information Libya ends up being the scapegoat for other groups.. This is a major change in position.
Aljazeera sites the confidential Bird Report, which was commissioned by Abdelbaset Al-Megrahi, the Libyan convicted of the bombing and a meeting in Malta with the principles.

"The CIA and the FBI investigations diverged completely… because the case was, being run by the Department of Justice, in complete disregard to the intelligence. As far as I can tell is someone said, look, Libya's vulnerable to prosecution, small country, Gaddafi's hated, let's go for it....

Maybe Gaddafi who was loved by his people and had the highest quality of life in Africa, was not responsible... as we were once trained to believe..
edit on 3/12/2014 by semperfortis because: copy the exact headline

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by R_Clark

I guess Libya's admission was a lie?

Libya admits Lockerbie blame

Libya has handed over a letter to a United Nations Security Council meeting formally taking responsibility for the Lockerbie bombing in 1988.

news.bbc.co.uk...

This elevated propaganda campaign against Iran and Palestine most likely means Israel is planning some more war-crimes and need some justification to proceed.
edit on 3/12/2014 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Or we have been lied to the whole time.... won't be the first time we find this out...

If they are using this to finally tell the truth, so be it..

Further, this concept that Israel is behind every rock and the Palestinians are angels: is complete BS...
edit on 12-3-2014 by R_Clark because: Grammar

edit on 12-3-2014 by R_Clark because: Grammar

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

A lie possibly but it was necessary to get sanctions lifted so £2B was probably cost effective in the long run. Ghaddafi ended up on the dirty end of the stick anyway (ouch bad pun).
Can't see Iran or Hezbollah being responsible either, rather some convoluted terror org with who knows what ties to who.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   
so thats why the cia framed the libyan guy and then let him out so the families of the vics couldn't get that out at the trial

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by R_Clark

remember the 5 dancing palistinians at 911?

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
so if its ok for obama to drone Pakistinians...and he doesn't even live in a getto...
if you can call that living

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Danbones
reply to post by R_Clark

I thought they were Israelis?

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Kukri

Danbones
reply to post by R_Clark

Nope, you got it wrong, they are mossad working for Urban Moving Systems with box cutters. Their purpose is to document the event, nothing much.

Oh yeah, With MH370 event, good time to bring up the Lockerbie and blame to anybody we want.
/sarcasm

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   
What if it was
(I bet it was)
the United States
(the New Order)
edit on 12-3-2014 by Davian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

No... but there was something fishy about all those Saudi guys getting on the flight... and now the suppressed report that shows Saudi complicity in the event..

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Libya took the fall so Iran could retaliate against America shooting down an Iranian passenger plane

According to the United States Government, the crew incorrectly identified the Iranian Airbus A300 as an attacking F-14 Tomcat fighter

edit on 12-3-2014 by Bellor because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Kukri

Danbones
reply to post by R_Clark

ooops
sarkasm to make point /off
sorry

eta
hmmm, thats a good point Bellor...i would not have thought of that

did anyone go to jail for shooting down that iranian plane or put sanctions on the US i wonder...
or god forbid...invade the us with alCIA duh, kill the president, and take all the gold...
and piss DU in the best water on the continent?

edit on Wedpm3b20143America/Chicago26 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on Wedpm3b20143America/Chicago01 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Danbones

Kukri

Danbones
reply to post by R_Clark

ooops
sarkasm to make point /off
sorry

eta
hmmm, thats a good point Bellor...i would not have thought of that

did anyone go to jail for shooting down that iranian plane or put sanctions on the US i wonder...
or god forbid...invade the us with alCIA duh, kill the president, and take all the gold...
and piss DU in the best water on the continent?

edit on Wedpm3b20143America/Chicago26 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on Wedpm3b20143America/Chicago01 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

Gotta love our southern fried cousins "Do as we say not as we do". Now there's a philosophy to kill by. Sorry yanks feeling snarky after my crash n burn.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Funnily enough no, the crew that were responsible for murdering 290 civilians including 66 children were awarded medals.

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   

R_Clark

No... but there was something fishy about all those Saudi guys getting on the flight... and now the suppressed report that shows Saudi complicity in the event..

the sauds threatened to terrorize sochi if the us didn't invade syia too, they even offered to pay for the action
man what is the world coming too?

posted on Mar, 13 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   

I think Saudi is Americas second largest provider of crude oil after Canada, quite an asset the U.S needs to keep happy, probably some sort of contractual obligation from the 50's to the nut cases that run Saudi. They run OPEC and fix the oil markets, give the U.S oil, in return the U.S needs to blow people up now and again.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
BBC Scotland Report

Latest developments in this case. Be interesting to see how this goes. The families of the victims do not believe that the guy that took the rap was responsible.

As for the Iranian and Palestinian links, well how convenient. I don't buy that either.

posted on May, 6 2014 @ 08:04 PM
link   
It's hardly news to "uncover" something that was basically the official position from an early point in the investigation. They were even named at one point - Ahmed Jibril, Hafez Kassem Dalkamoni, a Jordanian terrorist called Marwan Khreesat, PFLP-GC member Ramzi Diab, and a Palestinian terrorist called Abu Talb.

Libya never entered the equation as a suspect until 1990. What else happened in 1990? Funnily enough, the West had started to move against Saddam Hussein in Iraq. This required significant negotiations with Syria and Iran to encourage them to support, or at least not react to, the war. All of a sudden, the previous accusations against them disappear and Libya is suddenly singled out as the new suspect.

The following report was written shorlly after the trial and remains, to my mind, one of the best sources of information on the events around the bombing.

NB: link is directly to a PDF, "Lockerbie: The Flight from Justice" by Paul Foot.

www.sacc.org.uk...

A few choice quotes:

Who carried out this complicated plot? David Leppard’s “security sources” knew the answer to that as well. “Iran
paid the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine – General Command, a hard-line Palestinian terrorist group, up to 10 million dollars in advance to carry out a revenge attack for the shooting down of an Iranian airbus by an American warship in the Gulf in July 1988.”

In the weeks before the bombing, a Palestinian terrorist gang acting under the orders of the PFLP-GC were engaged
in making bombs and fitting them to Toshiba recorders with the intention of planting them on an American aircraft. Indeed, the German police, in an operation they called “Autumn Leaves”, had actually arrested members of the PFLP-GC gang.

One final fling at the PFLP-GC and their connections before the bombing with Malta was made on Granada Television in November in the run-up to the second anniversary of the disaster. The programme focused on a bakery in Malta and a Palestinian cell based there. The programme made the same connection as the Sunday Times had done a year earlier – between the fact that the clothes in the bomb suitcase were bought in Malta and the less certain fact that an unaccompanied bag from Malta was loaded onto a Pan Am feeder flight from Frankfurt to London and thence to Pan Am 103. To illustrate this hypothesis, the programme showed a sinister-looking Arab checking in a bag at Malta airport and then sliding surreptitiously away while the plane took off.

This was too much for Air Malta, who sued Granada for libel. Norton Rose, the London commercial solicitors, compiled a huge dossier detailing almost everything about the flight from Malta to Frankfurt on the day of the Lockerbie bombing and proving that all 55 bags checked in on the flight could be ascribed to passengers, none of whom travelled on to London. The evidence was so powerful that Granada settled the action before it got to court. They paid Air Malta £15,000 damages and all the costs of the case.

And my favourite quote of all?

The judges conceded that the difference between Gauci’s original description of the man as six feet tall
and 50 years of age and Megrahi’s actual height and age (five feet eight inches, 37 years of age) was “a substantial
discrepancy” (68). But Gauci’s identification was, they concluded, “entirely reliable”.

In what must have been a novel interpretation of Scottish law, they went further. “There are situations,” they said, “where a careful witness who will not commit himself beyond saying that there is a close resemblance can be regarded as more reliable and convincing in his identification than a witness who maintains that his identification is 100 per cent certain”

new topics

top topics

join