It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GPS (Global Positioning System) = US Military space system operated by Dept of Defense

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   
cache.freescale.com...

Why didn't I know that till today?! I've used my Garmin GPS for yearsss now and all the while thought it was just a consortium between private satellite companies.

What about in other countries? And what about when GPS falters -- where will the military turn?!?

defensesystems.com...

As useful as the system is, the technology is vulnerable to attack.

The relatively weak signals sent out by the satellites can be spoofed by stronger signals, sending receivers off-course. One example is the Iran-US RQ-170 incident in which an Iranian cyber warfare unit spoofed a UAV into landing in Iran. Students from the University of Texas at Austin also have conducted tests in which they took control of drones and an $80 million yacht using GPS spoofing.

The signal can also be jammed with small, low-power devices that can be easily bought on the Internet and have been used to hide locations or commit crimes. Last year, an engineer from New Jersey, in an effort to hide his whereabouts from his employers, used one of the devices to jam an airport GPS navigation system whenever he passed by.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by gardener

Ummm.. The internet was designed and run by the United States Military, NORAD and DARPA as well.

Amazing how many things core to life came from military effort, eh?

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   
One of the best things Clinton did was to eliminate Selective Availability.
www.gps.gov...

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 11:03 PM
link   

gardener
What about in other countries? And what about when GPS falters -- where will the military turn?!?

GPS is available worldwide and in Russia we have our own similar system called GLONASS so we are not dependent on GPS in case of a military conflict.

edit on 11-3-2014 by Etherguide because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

www.independent.co.uk... it-all-began-9185040.html

25 years of the World Wide Web: The inventor of the Internet, Tim Berners-Lee, explains how it all began

Wednesday 12 March 2014

Today marks the 25th birthday of an invention which has changed humanity forever, and created a new virtual world within a generation.

World Wide Web was created by British computer scientist Sir Tim Berners-Lee. The only hint of its importance a tattered white sticker with the warning: “This machine is a server: DO NOT POWER IT DOWN!!”

It may be hard to believe now, but the worldwide web did not exist 25 years ago - until Sir Tim invented a way of using networks of computers to talk to each other.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 02:56 AM
link   

The "web" is the killer app that runs on the Internet. It is not the Internet itself.

Before web browsers, we used text based tools like Gopher and wais, telnet, archie and veronica.

Berners-Lee invented web browsers. DARPA invented the TCP/IP it runs on.

edit on 12-3-2014 by Bedlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   

gardener
I don't know the military strategy for dealing with overall loss of GPS, but I can tell you I saw a documentary crew filming aboard a US navy ship. The crewman was using a sextant sighting to astronomical objects to navigate the ship, as a backup to GPS, so apparently if GPS goes down the Navy ships can navigate the old fashioned way, without GPS.

How to Use Sextant Navigation

Why you didn't know GPS was military I don't know, but I thought it was common knowledge. I don't think they tried to hide that fact.

posted on Mar, 12 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Ahh yes....

Just recall, the Internet and the World Wide Web are related but entirely different things when referring to histories of it. I'm not sure how many got it right/wrong but the question and explanation of the difference between the two was actually a Final question last year for one of the courses I was in.

Ahh..The net itself though.. a product of paranoia and fear of global thermonuclear war. The whole purpose was to insure launch commands as well as general command and control could maintain links no matter what pieces within the network were...erased..from it.

Amazing stuff to look into for how the world we see today came to be.

top topics

join