It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cold War, version 2.0

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 01:09 PM
link   
CAUTION!!! MASSIVE SPECULATION AND NO HARD FACTS BELOW.

Anybody else feel it? Its creeping back. The New Cold War is upon us. The sides are forming as we speak. But this time it looks like it�s the West that will be the minority. The West aren�t the forgone financial powers anymore. We have China and Russia with growing economies. Economies that need oil. The oil the west is alienating itself from every day. How long before middle eastern countries start to embrace our �new� cold war enemies and become allies with them? Not long if you ask me.

The west has some serious work to do. Taiwan, North Korea, the Middle East, heck, even our �fiends� all need to be reeled in and secured. The west needs to re-establish and firm up its long time relationships. The west needs to go to great lengths to either peacefully neutralize nations on the edge of becoming our enemies or find ways of making them partners. Or at least a mutual coexistence.

We live in scary times and it appears to be getting worse, a lot worse. We certain we have the right people in charge? I think the US should have chose Bill Clinton for Powell�s replacement. We need a personality in that role with a little competence. Bill Clinton was LOVED by the world, and that�s the kind of person we need in that roll in these times. Not a robot like Condi. Condi is all logic and data, no personality.

But alas its all fantasy isn�t it? Dubya picking Bill for his administration, lol. Anyways, its all moot now. Hey, I still have room in my rocket ship to Pluto, you guys are welcome to join me when the !@#$ hits the fan�

(I should mention that I did NOT vote for Bill Clinton, its just he is the right man for that job)

[edit on 24-11-2004 by skippytjc]

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   
maybe, but remember that many strategic know-it-alls say that we were actualy safer in the cold war than today. mainly because countries were much more stable (and thus far less likely to loose track of highly dangerous weapons). but i think russia will never really be a great enemy like in the cold war. he real emerging threat is china. it should be pointed out that a real life nuclear cold war still exists between pakistan and china, so in many ways the world is still at threat from nuclear war.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Nuclear arms = Nuclear threat= Nuclear certainty

We are on the verge of the cold war sequel now. Take a look at who has these weapons.

In the past, those countries who have them have been unstable and probably still are, therefor pose a real threat, not just to the western world but the whole world in general.

We will never get rid of these weapons, they are such a big negotiator in the world today.
To stop a country using them will be impossible. To stop a country manufacturing them is far easier. (easier used loosely)

The world is like a bomb with a slow burning fuse. All it needs is for one country with Nuclear capabilities to get pi**ed off with another and then light it.

Retaliation will only end with total world annihilation..

Hell... i just scared myself with that post

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I have the same feeling. And look what s going on today:

"U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell said the U.S. did not accept the official result and called for Ukraine's leaders to respond."
edition.cnn.com...

Seems like the US don't want Pro-Russia leader in Ukraine. Why, because the Pro-Russia party is maybe financed by Putin and the US don't want him to take back what they have lost after the Cold War.

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 05:47 PM
link   
In a way, the situation in Russia can be likened to that of the USA, that is, that Beslan and the slew of other Chechen attacks on Russia are being exploited by Putin just like Bush exploited 9/11.

Almost immediately after the Beslan attack, Putin moved quickly to consolidate his power by ending the popular election of governers and independent lawmakers supposedly in response to terrorism and under the guise of protecting from further attacks, a la Ashcroft and his Patriot Act. Then there was all the bravado emanating from Putin and the Russian military touting their nuclear capabilities as unparralelled, supposedly to show that Russia is still a formidable foe for any terrorist, or potentially, any nation. And now we see Putin on the opposite side of the West by attempting to sway the Ukrainian election towards the pro-Moscow candidate by acknowledging his victory with a blatant disregard for the rampant fraud and corruption present in the election.

Is it terrorism that has emboldened Russia to assert itself on the global stage and to more readily defy the agenda of the West?

posted on Nov, 24 2004 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Time to start building fallout shelters. It ought to be a great business in the next couple of years after Bushy starts really pooting on the fan.

I'm interested to see what V.Putin has up his sleve in Russia? I DONT think he intends to point them at the US or Europe this time.

new topics

top topics

join