It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Senate-CIA Blowup Threatens a Constitutional Crisis

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Feinstein said that the CIA appeared to have violated the Fourth Amendment barring unreasonable searches and seizures—and perhaps other federal laws and a presidential executive order prohibiting the CIA from domestic searches and surveillance. She confirmed that the Justice Department was on the case. She said she has demanded an apology from the CIA and an admission that the agency's search of the intelligence committee’s computers was wrong. "I have received neither," she declared.

The Senate-CIA Blowup Threatens a Constitutional Crisis

This story seems to be gaining traction. I thought at first this was some sort of political grandstanding so I was prepared to ignore the whole thing.

Maybe something is up this time. I hope so but I'm not holding my breath.

Apparently the CIA does not know how the Senate obtained this information.

Sen. Feinstein is not sure either.

"We don't know whether the documents were provided intentionally by the CIA, unintentionally by the CIA, or intentionally by a whistle-blower," she said, raising the possibility that the CIA itself had failed to maintain a cover-up. And she noted that this internal review—unlike the CIA's direct response to the intelligence committee's report—contained "acknowledgement of significant CIA wrongdoing."

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Leo Strauss

So the Senate and CIA are causing a constitutional crisis? Really? Forget about all the other stuff...laughable..

+31 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Video of her remarks

Kinda funny how she doesn't like being spyed on but okay's it for everyone else.

+11 more 
posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

Welcome to America!

It doesn't count unless the rich or powerful get hurt.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

Ahhh man... you beat me to it. Have a star.

Now all of a sudden CIA wrongdoings are a problem???
Remember this?
www.techdirt.com...
From link: Dianne Feinstein Plays The 9/11 Card For Why The NSA Should Keep Spying On Every American.
Ohhhhhh, CIA and NSA are totally different, gotcha. Psshhhh

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 04:17 PM
link   
More from The Washington Post

A DISCONNECT. When the Senate committee completed its big report in December 2012, it gave the CIA a chance to respond to the findings. The agency agreed with some parts but disagreed with other important points. This is where the importance of the Panetta review becomes clear. According to Feinstein, some of the same findings that the agency disputed in its response to the report had been agreed with by the agency in the Panetta document. “This is puzzling,” Feinstein said. “How can the CIA’s official response to our study stand factually in conflict with its own internal review?”

LOOK WHO’S HACKING, PART II: Feinstein in 2014 accuses the CIA of improperly spying on the Senate. The CIA, anxious about the Panetta document, informs Feinstein that it searched the CIA-provided computers used by the Senate investigators. The CIA search even poked into the Senate committee’s “stand-alone computer system” that was to be separate from the CIA network. Feinstein cries foul, but Brennan’s response is unrepentant and adamant: “The CIA was in no way spying” on the committee or the Senate, he said Tuesday. He added: “We weren’t trying to block anything.”

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Grandstanding and Limited Hangout. She is the chair of the Intelligence Committee and the most powerful woman in DC. She has been the biggest apologist for domestic spying. Something smells.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 04:41 PM
link   

SWCCFAN
Video of her remarks

Kinda funny how she doesn't like being spyed on but okay's it for everyone else.

It fits with her elitist attitude. Like how she wants to appeal the 2nd Amendment for everyone but here and her bodyguards.

She's a freak. But I guess a broken clock is right once/twice a day.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Sounds ironic but it's all just an election ploy.

Feinstein herself is not up for election in 2014.

Therefore she gets to go off on tangents to make voters think the D-politicians are doing something and that they are *Oh So concerned* about the Constitution.

This is a standard Red Herring to deflect the real issues.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Again from The Washington Post

Feinstein said the lawyer was the chief lawyer for the CIA’s Detention and Interrogation program from mid-2004 until it was terminated by an executive order signed by President Barack Obama in January 2009.

Feinstein said the lawyer “was mentioned by name more than 1,600 times in our study. And now this individual is sending a crimes report to the Department of Justice on the actions of congressional staff.” She added that the Senate report “details how CIA officers including the acting general counsel himself provided inaccurate information to the Department of Justice about the program.”

This is hilarious really. The CIA counsel that filed a criminal complaint against Senate staffers is none other than Robert Eatinger.
I would say Mr. Eatinger should be prepared to be run over by a bus very soon. Metaphorically speaking of course. Robert Eatinger was heavily involved in legal decisions regarding enhanced interrogation during the Bush administration.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   

All these politicians have their heads in the sand. Until they stumble upon something that invades their privacy. It must be nice to be an elite politician. When they feel like their rights are being violated, they can claim their constitutional rights are being trampled upon and go right to the source. The rest of us can only complain, while politicians claim the CIA and the NSA is engaged in legal activities and the public is just over exaggerating the "legal" searches and spying.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   

GrantedBail

Grandstanding and Limited Hangout. She is the chair of the Intelligence Committee and the most powerful woman in DC. She has been the biggest apologist for domestic spying. Something smells.

It's already public knowledge that Utah has enough capacity to record everything the world can say, print and type for a five year bubble. That's a lot of potential blackmail if the Congress is in that giant pot of stew, GB.
Bring that back around to McCain saying he never had a lot of confidence in Clapper...
and is almost demanding an independent prosecutor. Last time I checked, Michael Rennie (aka original Klaatu) was already out of here for smoking a significant fraction of MY habit ROFL.
In sum, I can't stretch my brittle little brain over those two jalapenos at the same time... I haven't had any confidence in that tumor hanging off the end of Maryland since 1963. ps bump... it really smells like the breeze of another door slamming.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

It is me xuenchen but I feel that this diversion into the CIA scrutiny is to get people's mind from the corruption within the bastard child call the NSA.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by SWCCFAN

The Senators can't believe that they are being treated just the same as their peasants ummm I mean constituents.

They can spare me the faux outrage......................

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Taking bets now no one is charged and no real changes happen.
Might be a desk swap or 2 would be about it.
IF this is legit, and that's a very big IF nothing would make me happier than to see the CIA and NSA brought under real review by Congress.

ETA: I know I'm dreaming but hey it's my dream. ok?
I realize it won't happen in a million years,
Both agencies are too entrenched in power to make any reform possible.
edit on 11-3-2014 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Well, we agree for once.

The Intelligence Agencies are much more powerful than Congress. And probably more powerful than the Executive.

On edit: The CIA, State Department, NSA, et al are all more powerful than any branch of government.
edit on 11-3-2014 by GrantedBail because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 09:26 PM
link   
The only thing I took from this was:

"CIA violated the 4th amendment....they should say they're sorry"

WTF...

If that comment isn't proof this country is #ed nothing is. Let's not forget what committee she chairs.

Senate Select Committee on Intelligence (Chairman) The Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, established in 1975, has oversight responsibility for the 16 civilian and military agencies and departments that make up the U.S. Intelligence Community.

Senate Committee on Appropriations The Senate Appropriations Committee writes the legislation that allocates federal funds to the numerous government agencies, departments, and organizations on an annual basis. Twelve subcommittees are tasked with drafting legislation to allocate funds to government agencies within their jurisdictions. The Committee is also responsible for supplemental spending bills, which are sometimes needed in the middle of a fiscal year to compensate for emergency expenses.

www.feinstein.senate.gov...

She should apologize for existing.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Total theater...the CIA gave them the computers & set-up the network!

Yeesh...total diversion - look over here while we are really doing some evil over here we don't want you to know about.

The head of the Senate Intelligence Committee accused the CIA Tuesday of criminal activity in improperly searching a computer network set up for lawmakers investigating allegations that the agency used torture in terror investigations during the Bush administration.

Link

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 10:31 PM
link   
She doesn't seem to be squirming yet but maybe preemptively attacking her opponent in the CIA. As ironic as it is I enjoyed watching her complain about her constitutional rights being violated after a lifetime career of attacking the constitution. She's like every liberal all rolled into one power hungry biot ch.

This is what I think, and it brings great joy but also some worry, well lots of worry. But I can't wait to see her when she is squirming like the wicked witch of the west. (Yes that was wizard of oz, but wait theres so much more to come) You see, she threw a fit that her subordinates may have potentially raised the curtain on what she is potentially doing and we probably all know damn well she is guilty of. But she acts as if she's the man behind the curtain in the wizard of oz, when it is more likely one of her subordinates in the CIA that she actually works under and doesn't even know it.

This is where it gets fun, because there are only a few enemies of the constitution as notorious as her and hearing her claim she has constitutional rights, that normal people don't have (according to her) is absurd. The Declaration of Independence states that every man is created equal and apparently she doesn't think that applies to her since she is not a man (or is she?).

But this is just a repeat of stuff that most of us already know and we hear liberals defend these ideas and so called leaders on a daily basis and cry about their constitutional rights being violated at the same time. It would be so funny if it weren't so sad.

Point is, somebody in the CIA is sitting on a treasure trove of goods that will make Edward Snowden look like childs play. Until then, this is the night of long knives. Sh#t is about to pop off big time and its not going to be pretty.

But when it feels like you are losing hope, just think of how enjoyable it will be to watch these people squirm when they are brought down by their own misgivings and falsehoods that they have forced on the middle and lower class for as long as I can remember being alive and probably long before that.

Its gonna get interesting, to hell with popcorn get some fireworks. The show must go on. We have waited to long for it not to.

posted on Mar, 11 2014 @ 10:47 PM
link   
"The Senate-CIA Blowup Threatens a Constitutional Crisis"

Well, i'd say that a lot of other reports coming out about US intelligence agencies would (or should) also have the same impact - a constitutional crisis.........

edit on 11-3-2014 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join